Windows 10: Is it safe to turn off password protection on a home network? All PC's do have internet...

Discus and support Is it safe to turn off password protection on a home network? All PC's do have internet... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm struggling with the credentials thing trying to share folders on my network and am just tired of dealing with it. Would it be safe to turn off the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Bluevyper, Jun 19, 2021.

1. Bluevyper Win User

Is it safe to turn off password protection on a home network? All PC's do have internet...

I'm struggling with the credentials thing trying to share folders on my network and am just tired of dealing with it. Would it be safe to turn off the password protection thing for the network? The PCs are all mine, no one else uses them but me. Thank you for reading!

:)

Bluevyper, Jun 19, 2021
  2. Junaid_A Win User

Network Sharing prompts for password (Password protected sharing turned off) - Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

As you’ve already turned off password protected sharing, this issue could be due to the incorrect cached credentials stored on the PC. I suggest you to try the steps listed below and check if it works.

• Open Control Panel and categorize to view by
      small icons.
    • Click on User Accounts and choose your
      User Name.

• On the left pane, click on Manage your credentials.
      Under Windows Credentials, remove the shared computer credentials and save the changes.
    • Exit Control Panel and restart the machine to see if the issue persists.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Jun 19, 2021
  3. bakasamaz Win User
    How To: Password Protect a Folder in Network?

Hi all I have a question for you all Networking Expert out there. Im running a small networking at my house. this Network consist of 3 computers : My computer, My sister's and My mom's. My computer act as a Network Harddrive, I share a lot of Files in my computer. Sometimes my sister like to pull over some files from my computer, but there are some folders where i dont like her to open. Im thinking to Password Protect a certain folders, so whenever she or my mom open those certain folders a pop up will show up asking for password (im thinking to password protect because sometimes I need to able to access those folders from either my mom's or sister's computer) Is there anyway to do this? third party Program? all computers in my network running Windows XP.

bakasamaz, Jun 19, 2021
  4. Roohi_Taj Win User

Is it safe to turn off password protection on a home network? All PC's do have internet...

Password not accepted in Safe mode

Hi Pedro E Cordeiro,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Could you please help me with the below questions:

• Are you aware of any changes happened on the computer prior to internet issue started?
    • Are you referring to PIN password or Microsoft account password?

I understand the inconvenience caused due to this issue, this could be due to a change in the keyboard layout. However, I suggest you to follow the troubleshooting steps mentioned below:

Method 1: Change the keyboard layout.

1. In the bottom right corner of the sign in screen, select the first option to change the keyboard layout.
    2. Try to change the keyboard layout from the list if you have any and type in the password.

Method 2: Use the On screen keyboard.

1. Restart the computer. In the sign in screen, hold down the shift key and select restart from bottom right corner of your screen.
    2. After the pc is restarted, select Troubleshoot > Select
      Advanced options >Click on Startup settings >
      Now, click on Restart.
    3. After your PC restarts, you should see number of options. Press F5 for
      Safe Mode with networking.
    4. When you are in login screen, press Windows
      and U together on the keyboard
      and select the On-Screen Keyboard from the
      Ease of Access list or click on
      Ease of Access at bottom right and select
      On-Screen Keyboard from the list.
    5. Now, use the cursor to type the password with On-screen keyboard.
    6. Before clicking the login, press the eye symbol
      (I.e. Reveal Password) option in the password field, to see the password is correct.

After you login to safe mode with networking, I would suggest you to follow the steps provided in the Microsoft article on
    Fix network connection issues in Windows.
    Let us know the results to assist you further regarding this issue.

Hope it helps.

Roohi Taj S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Roohi_Taj, Jun 19, 2021
Thema:

1. Is it safe to turn off password protection on a home network? All PC's do have internet... - Similar Threads - safe turn off

2. Enter Network Credentials -- Password protected sharing is off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Enter Network Credentials -- Password protected sharing is off: Hello,I have a Windows 10 machine that I am trying to connect to another Windows 10 machine. It used to work with no issues.On the machine I am trying to connect to Password Protected Sharing is off. I added a user and password and still get the same error.Two other machines...
  3. Enter Network Credentials -- Password protected sharing is off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Enter Network Credentials -- Password protected sharing is off: Hello,I have a Windows 10 machine that I am trying to connect to another Windows 10 machine. It used to work with no issues.On the machine I am trying to connect to Password Protected Sharing is off. I added a user and password and still get the same error.Two other machines...
  4. Win10 Home Cannot turn off password protected sharing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win10 Home Cannot turn off password protected sharing: Appreciate there are many references to this problem - I have tried them all. My system has had no problems for several years but today i suddenly lost control over password protected sharing. Whatever I do, it reverts to “on” as soon as I move away from that dialogue box....
  5. how do i turn off having to put in a password

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    how do i turn off having to put in a password: so my computer opens up. i just want to turn on my laptop an do what i need to do. i live alone and no one uses my laptop but me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-turn-off-having-to-put-in-a-password/ce9b4885-1376-45ad-b771-37453a015781
  6. Network Sharing prompts for password (Password protected sharing turned off) - Windows 10

Network Sharing prompts for password (Password protected sharing turned off) - Windows 10: I've been using Network Share (HomeGroup before) for a while. Weeks ago I changed my Microsoft account password, and then here I got a problem. Let's say my main PC is PC A, and my second PC is PC B. When I try to access files on B from A, everything works fine. But when I...
  7. Cannot turn off the password protected sharing. The option for password protected sharing...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cannot turn off the password protected sharing. The option for password protected sharing...: Hi support team I want to turn off the password protected sharing on my PC. So, the other users available on the same network can access my shared folder without entering any user credentials. To do that I entered into the Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and...
  8. Cannot turn off password protected sharing on W10 PC

Cannot turn off password protected sharing on W10 PC: Hello all! I'm new to this forum, but have been a member of SevenForums for many years! My issue just all of the sudden came up out of the blue. One of the PC's on my home LAN all of the sudden switched settings from having the password setting turned off to now turned on...
  9. Password Protected Sharing - Turn On/Off with PowerShell

Password Protected Sharing - Turn On/Off with PowerShell: How can I use PowerShell to turn on/off "Password Protected Sharing" setting in Advanced sharing settings? 66136
  10. Network share requesting password, but password protection turned off!

Network share requesting password, but password protection turned off!: Hi Guys, This is a curious one. I have three PCs (two desktop and one laptop) all running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (1607). Each system has a shared partition, set up exactly the same, which has sharing set for 'everyone', with 'full control'. Password protected...