Windows 10: Is it safe to uninstall Cortana via powershell after the May 2020 update?

Discus and support Is it safe to uninstall Cortana via powershell after the May 2020 update? in Cortana to solve the problem; I got paranoid when Cortana invades a bit of my privacy so I searched how to uninstall it. Without knowing the disclaimers when using the Powershell I... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by 4er4, Dec 5, 2020.

1. 4er4 Win User

Is it safe to uninstall Cortana via powershell after the May 2020 update?

I got paranoid when Cortana invades a bit of my privacy so I searched how to uninstall it. Without knowing the disclaimers when using the Powershell I used this code

Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.549981C3F5F10 Remove-AppxPackage

Then I used this:

Get-AppXPackage -Name Microsoft.Windows.Cortana Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$$_.InstallLocation\AppXManifest.xml"}

Which is the wrong code. It should be for allusers. I managed to install cortana again but the built in settings were gone

Then I used this even with the new Cortana installed so I could revert it back to the built in features it did not retain the built in options:

Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers Microsoft.549981C3F5F10 Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$$_.InstallLocation\AppXManifest.xml"}

I saw what are the consequences on the net. But on May 2020 Cortana became a separate app from windows. Nothing happened bad on my computer as of now. Im not gonna use Cortana. But I'm afraid, paranoid, and anxious on what could happen due to what I did to the powershell and removing the built in or bundled Cortana. Will I get malware? will my private info get leaked? will my files get deleted? Will my OS malfunction? will my computer stop working? Will I got problems on the next windows updates in the future for deleting the built in cortana? I should have not uninstalled it if Windows wont allow it in the first place. Please I need assurance. My computer is fairly new. Thank you very much.

:)

4er4, Dec 5, 2020
  2. Kursah Win User

PowerShell instead of Commandline in Creators Update

Interestingly enough my personal laptop just got the update...and still has Command Prompt listed, not PowerShell...

Edit: Not that it matters...I use both regularly. *Toast :toast:

Kursah, Dec 5, 2020
  3. Joan Pin Win User
    Cortana Duplicated Notifucations

We suggest that you rebuild Cortana via PowerShell to restore any missing components on it that may cause the issue. Try it first on your laptop and check if the issue will persist. If the issue with the notification is resolved, you can mirror the same
    steps on your Surface.

To rebuild Cortana, follow these steps:

• In the Search box, type PowerShell.
    • Right-click on the result and select Run as administrator.
    • Copy and paste the command below to the PowerShell tool and press Enter:
      • Get-AppxPackage | % { Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register
        "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppxManifest.xml" -verbose }
    • Once done, restart your device to apply the changes.

Let us know if the steps provided above works for you.

Joan Pin, Dec 5, 2020
  4. Anne Ros Win User

Cortana

Thank you for your response. We'd like to ask if you were able to finished resetting the cache? If the issue still persists, we suggest re-registering Cortana components using Powershell. Follow the steps below:

• On the Search bar, type powershell and select Windows Powershell on the list.
    • Type the following command below: Get-AppXPackage -Name Microsoft.Windows.Cortana | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

After doing so, try using Cortana again and see if issue is resolved.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Anne Ros, Dec 5, 2020
Thema:

1. Is it safe to uninstall Cortana via powershell after the May 2020 update? - Similar Threads - safe uninstall Cortana

2. may 2020 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    may 2020 update: how do i install an earlier update in history can only see updates for 2021. i would like to install may 2020 update. could anyone help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/may-2020-update/bea25d64-4623-4b77-bb69-772427cb21d5
  3. may 2020 update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    may 2020 update: how do i install an earlier update in history can only see updates for 2021. i would like to install may 2020 update. could anyone help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/may-2020-update/bea25d64-4623-4b77-bb69-772427cb21d5
  4. Cortana Windows May 2020 Update

in Cortana
    Cortana Windows May 2020 Update: Hi! I just updated my Windows, which was supposed to be the diagnosis of the black screen error Previously mentioned among my other questions, but instead, it caused another one. Now, Cortana is an app, which is way cooler, but what will make it even cooler is that it runs....
  5. May 2020 update

May 2020 update: This is about my husband's laptop. After two days he finally managed to install the update only to find out he cannot use his computer. He cannot get into any applications and it just seems to be stuck in a loading loop. What does he have to do now? If he can manage to...
  6. After Windows Update 10 May 2020 Cortana will no longer work?

After Windows Update 10 May 2020 Cortana will no longer work?: I have installed the update 10 May 2020, which supposedly has some improvements, but after that some applications do not work anymore. So far it does not bother me, but Cortana does not respond to my questions anymore. (Unfortunately Cortana in German is not available at the...
  7. Is it safe to uninstall Cortana via package uninstaller?

in Cortana
    Is it safe to uninstall Cortana via package uninstaller?: Hi, I have Cortana disabled via Local Policies. But it keeps getting updates and taking space on my drive. Is it safe to uninstall it with remove-appxpackage - package Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_1.13.0.18362_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy command? Will the start...
  8. Cortana on Windows 10 May 2020 Update 2004

in Cortana
    Cortana on Windows 10 May 2020 Update 2004: I just installed the new Windows 10 update onto my PC and I notice that Cortana is back on my Start Menu! It wasn't there on the previous version, what can I do to remove the application from my start menu?[ATTACH]...
  9. Unable to launch Cortana via shortcut keys after May 2020 update

in Cortana
    Unable to launch Cortana via shortcut keys after May 2020 update: I have tried enabling it via settings, updated and reset/repair. Even disabled my kaspersky antivirus. Anybody facing the same issue? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-launch-cortana-via-shortcut-keys-after/1e48c32f-f7b0-408f-b0e3-f9df41ae50ea
  10. May 2020 Update

May 2020 Update: Hello All, I just recently read about the May 2020 update. im a Windows Insider, and want to COMPLETELY opt out. not like delete my account from the insider program, I've decided i no longer wish to participate. how would i go to the May 2020 stable build. that is if the...