Windows 10: Is it safe to upgrade OS to 20H2 if I don't use a Thunderbolt NVMe SSD drive?

Discus and support Is it safe to upgrade OS to 20H2 if I don't use a Thunderbolt NVMe SSD drive? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I just got a new PC, it has a Thunderbolt port and an internal NVMe SSD drive. It came w/ OS build 1909. My old PC has auto-upgraded to 2004. I tried... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DanielBass, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Is it safe to upgrade OS to 20H2 if I don't use a Thunderbolt NVMe SSD drive?

I just got a new PC, it has a Thunderbolt port and an internal NVMe SSD drive. It came w/ OS build 1909. My old PC has auto-upgraded to 2004. I tried to migrate using Laplink PC Mover, but it would not move data to a PC with an older OS build. I see that there is a hold on updating the OS because of the NVMe SSD on Thunderbolt incompatibility.

My questions are: 1 Is there an issue that the internal drive is NVMe SSD? My guess is that it would not use the Thunderbolt driver internally and this should be OK, but I'm just a retired software hacker so who knows?

2 If I promise to never try plugging in a NVMe SSD drive into my Thunderbolt port, is it OK to go ahead and upgrade the OS?

Thanks,

Daniel

:)

DanielBass, Nov 19, 2020
  2. fra.carol Win User

Urgent W10 20H2 update

Hi, I have a serious issue with my PC which I hoped to solve by updating to 20H2 (since it's kind of a bigger update and not just a patch update) before proceeding with more invasive and complicated methods; updating is also proposed as a solution in many
    microsoft community threads.

Unfortunately, since I hadn't immediately realized 20H2 was rolling out, I went and downloaded the update assistant on the exact day the thunderbolt nvme ssd issue was found.

Since the solution is said to be available in late november, I wonder if there is any way to force the update to 20H2 now without getting stopped by the incompatibily notice that the update assistant tells me when I try to upgrade, since I own absolutely
    no thunderbolt nvme ssds and I should really fix the problem my PC has.

My machine is a Dell G5 5590, which was validated by dell to be ready for 20H2 (probably before the thunderbolt issue was found).

I really hope someone will help me.

Best wishes

fra.carol, Nov 19, 2020
  3. thunderbolt 3 nvme ssd external drive, windows boot problem on mac

I'ver been trying to boot windows 10 from an external thunderbolt 3 ssd nvme drive with the INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE bsod coming up when booting with every try. I figured sometimes the thunderbolt drive was not available even when connected as a secondary
    storage device (either on windows or OSX) whenever I restarted the computer (when I shut it down completely and turned back on, the drive was started) So I tried disconecting and reconecting the drive during windows boot logo (right after selecting "efi boot"
    on the OS option screen on mac) and to my surprise, windows did boot. I really dont know if this is a problem with the imac or windows boot, I've noticed the drive gets detected by the imac on startup OS selection, but somehow its not detected as a windows
    boot device unless disconnected and reconnected. I get to boot windows, but this situation is not ideal for me (or for anyone) and I don't think its good for the ssd drive lifespan. Is there a way to troubleshoot from here? I've tried messing up with partitions,
    with volumes with bcdedit, with no luck. Does this workaround means I have to try something else? please help

LechKorytkowski, Nov 19, 2020
  4. Is it safe to upgrade OS to 20H2 if I don't use a Thunderbolt NVMe SSD drive?

Re-installing windows 10 on new NVMe SSD

I am about to upgrade my HP laptop with a NVMe SSD. My laptop came with pre-installed windows 10 Home Single language in HDD.

I want to install windows 10 into NVMe SSD. I like to know the safest process involved to do so. I went trough some website suggesting to use third party software to clone the OS , do some changes in BIOS setting. Can I just make a recovery USB from recovery
    drive in windows and then boot the laptop and install OS in NVMe and format the C drive in HDD? OR is there any other way ?

GAUTHAM KUMAR MOKA, Nov 19, 2020
Thema:

Is it safe to upgrade OS to 20H2 if I don't use a Thunderbolt NVMe SSD drive?

1. Is it safe to upgrade OS to 20H2 if I don't use a Thunderbolt NVMe SSD drive? - Similar Threads - safe upgrade 20H2

2. Upgrade Windows 7 on SSD NVMe to Windows 10 on SSD NVMe

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade Windows 7 on SSD NVMe to Windows 10 on SSD NVMe: I've been searching the web for this answer but I cannot find any. It's either they tell you how to upgrade from Windows 7 on regular HDD to Windows 10 on regular HDD or how they migrate from Windows 10 on HDD to Windows 10 on SSD NVME.So right now I'm still using Windows 7...
  3. Upgrade Windows 7 on SSD NVMe to Windows 10 on SSD NVMe

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrade Windows 7 on SSD NVMe to Windows 10 on SSD NVMe: I've been searching the web for this answer but I cannot find any. It's either they tell you how to upgrade from Windows 7 on regular HDD to Windows 10 on regular HDD or how they migrate from Windows 10 on HDD to Windows 10 on SSD NVME.So right now I'm still using Windows 7...
  4. Upgrade Windows 7 on SSD NVMe to Windows 10 on SSD NVMe

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Upgrading laptop m.2 SSD with an NVMe drive and have a question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrading laptop m.2 SSD with an NVMe drive and have a question: My HP laptop came with a 128GB m.2 SSD that is unfortunately running out of space. I am planning to replace it with a 512GB NVMe drive. I thought about trying to clone the current drive to the new one, but that seems like more work than I'm willing to put in. I'd rather just...
  6. m2 nvme ssd removable drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    m2 nvme ssd removable drive: Hello, I installed m2 ssd nvme in the m2 port on the motherboard. But it appears in the tray as a portable device with the icon "safely remove devices and disks." The same icon as when you insert a flash card into your usb.asus crosshair VI extremessd adata xpg ssx6000...
  7. thunderbolt 3 nvme ssd external drive, windows boot problem on mac

thunderbolt 3 nvme ssd external drive, windows boot problem on mac: I'ver been trying to boot windows 10 from an external thunderbolt 3 ssd nvme drive with the INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE bsod coming up when booting with every try. I figured sometimes the thunderbolt drive was not available even when connected as a secondary storage device...
  8. upgrade old NVMe ssd to new NVMe ssd and keep my Windows

upgrade old NVMe ssd to new NVMe ssd and keep my Windows: Hi. I just got the "Samsung 970 evo" NVMe and I want to replace it with the old one that has my Windows on it I know there is a way with adapter and cable but I don't have that, so is there a way that I can keep my Windows ? -I don't mind to lose my files -Is it possible...
  9. upgrade old NVMe ssd to new NVMe ssd and kkep my Windows

upgrade old NVMe ssd to new NVMe ssd and kkep my Windows: Hi. I just got the "Samsung 970 evo" NVMe and I want to replace it with the old one that has my Windows on it I know there is a way with adapter and cable but I don't have that, so is there a way that I can keep my Windows ? -I don't mind to lose my files -Is it possible...
  10. Is Macrium CBT useful on an NVMe SSD drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Is Macrium CBT useful on an NVMe SSD drive: I recently made the jump to the paid version on MReflect after my satisfaction with the FREE version (thnx in part to the guides & help on this forum); and,was wondering how useful the Changed Block Tracker feature/driver of MReflect is on a PC with an SSD drive (specifically...