Windows 10: Is it safe to wipe out a bitlocked disk?

Discus and support Is it safe to wipe out a bitlocked disk? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello, I have an ROG device and tried to dual boot by adding a new ssd, after installation of linux mint, i tried booting back to my windows disk, but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/siegfred7, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Is it safe to wipe out a bitlocked disk?

Hello,

I have an ROG device and tried to dual boot by adding a new ssd, after installation of linux mint, i tried booting back to my windows disk, but i ran into BitLocker, and looking for the bit locker recovery code in my windows 10 account to no avail not even in my OneDrive.

What i have in mind now is to completely wipeout the windows drive, is that okay? Wont it damage my drive?

submitted by /u/siegfred7
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/siegfred7, Sep 23, 2020
  2. lx07 Win User

DBAN disk wipe on Bitlocker?

No need. Not unless you've set it to unlock with a password "1234" or "Password" - no-one will guess the bitlocker recovery key in the remaining lifetime of the universe.

A DBAN wiped and a bitlocker encrypted drive will both appear to contain random data.

3. DBAN disk wipe on Bitlocker?

Maybe Bitlocker will ask for the Recovery key before wiping the drive with DBAN or CLEANALL.

win10freak, Sep 23, 2020
  4. geotso Win User

Is it safe to wipe out a bitlocked disk?

Can't safely remove external disk

In reference to the steps of your suggestions:

• The issue is specific to the particular disk and it started after I've used the disk to save the System image backup (created with the Control Panel > File History tool).
    • I didn't disable any windows Service. I'm just wondering if there is any to disable.
    • Safe boot with networking, or clean boot doesn't resolve the issue.

Thank you.

geotso, Sep 23, 2020
Thema:

Is it safe to wipe out a bitlocked disk?

1. Is it safe to wipe out a bitlocked disk? - Similar Threads - safe wipe bitlocked

2. DISK CLEANUP WIPED out my entire "DOCUMENTS" FOLDER

in Windows 10 Support
    DISK CLEANUP WIPED out my entire "DOCUMENTS" FOLDER: I had no idea 'DISK CLEANUP" on my ROOT DISK would totally wipe my "DOCUMENTS" Folder and some extremely important files, all it left was a 'desktop'ini'. It did not touch my DOWNLOADS folder. Does anyone know why it would do this? Can I not trust it any more? AND why would...
  3. Crashed and wiped out

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Crashed and wiped out: My computer crashed and wiped out most of the hard drive. I can not get the system to reboot, tried everything available in this forum. Figured the next best was get a new HDD. Did so. Have formatted and assigned volume to the new HDD, etc. using another computer and disk...
  4. Will deleting a pool from Storage Spaces wipe out the data on the disks?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Will deleting a pool from Storage Spaces wipe out the data on the disks?: Hi guys. I'm trying to help a friend swap out his SSD for an M.2 drive. He has a 500GB SSD (OS drive I want to image to the M.2) and a 2TB data drive. His m.2 wasn't showing up in Disk Management, and after some digging, I realized he was using Storage Spaces and windows...
  5. Looking for the more secure way to wipe out data disk for good

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Looking for the more secure way to wipe out data disk for good: Good day, I would like to give some of my SSD's or HDD's but I want to make sure my data wouldn't be recoverable by any software or tools, or by an expert firm. I understand that by cleaning the drive, then formatting to NTFS, my data could still be recoverable. My...
  6. Bluetooth wiped out

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bluetooth wiped out: I restarted my computer yesterday didn't watch the update happen. When I logged on it yesterday I noticed the on/off button to connect to bluetooth is completely missing. It happened before but it appears after restarting my computer. Now, whatever update happened, i am...
  7. Safe to wipe and merge hard disk drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Safe to wipe and merge hard disk drive?: [IMG] submitted by /u/colmoriordan194 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gu4iv5/safe_to_wipe_and_merge_hard_disk_drive/
  8. DBAN disk wipe on Bitlocker?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    DBAN disk wipe on Bitlocker?: My mother has an old laptop which is very slow running Win10 with Bitlocker encryption. I set it up for her in the past. She wants to get rid of it. If the drive is encrypted, do I still need to wipe the data using DBAN? The hard drive is an IDE drive, not SSD. 156381
  9. Wipe out

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Wipe out: W10 forced PIN selection to open my laptop this morning 3/21/2020 after functioning okay Humm cannot reach page was still happening, of course. Blue screen with old lit Window image appears with tray icons verticle on screen instead if in tray. Serms old style?! ALL my...
  10. wipe out

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    wipe out: I got my laptop used and it runs real slow. I want to just wipe it clean, remove everything on it and start fresh. what I don't know is if I will lose the windows too? will I have to reinstall it myself or will it automatically have it on there? it has windows 10 but tells...