Windows 10: Is it safe to write additional files to Windows 10 Recovery Drive USB?

Discus and support Is it safe to write additional files to Windows 10 Recovery Drive USB? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My 32GB recovery thumb drive has about 23GB free after creating a Windows 10 recovery drive. Can I write additional files onto this "Healthy (Active,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Bldrgamer, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Bldrgamer Win User

Is it safe to write additional files to Windows 10 Recovery Drive USB?

My 32GB recovery thumb drive has about 23GB free after creating a Windows 10 recovery drive. Can I write additional files onto this "Healthy (Active, Primary Partition)" without compromising its use for recovery? Seems like an obvious yes, but wanted to ask the community just to be sure.

:)

Bldrgamer, Dec 6, 2018

2. Recovery Drive for Windows 10 Doesn't Recognize USB Drive

When I try to create a Recovery Drive in Windows 10, Windows doesn't recognize the flash drive.

I'm following the instructions to create a Recovery Drive listed here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/create-a-recovery-drive

• From the taskbar, search for Create a recovery drive and then select it. You might be asked to enter an admin password or confirm your choice. (I was asked to confirm my choice, and I clicked "Yes".)

• When the tool opens, make sure Back up system files to the recovery drive is selected and then select
      Next.

• (Secret Step) Wait a minute or so for the "Please Wait" screen to finish thinking

• Connect a USB drive to your PC, select it ...
    The issue is that when I connect a USB drive to the PC, it doesn't appear on the "Connect a USB flash drive" screen as a drive that can be selected, and the "Next" button is grayed out.

However, when I look in File Explorer, I can see the USB drive plugged into the computer. Selecting Properties shows that Windows considers its Type to be "Removable Disk". (Sounds right to me.)

I'm not getting any error messages.

My environment:

A brand new Toshiba Sattelite C55-C5241 laptop with Windows 10 Home. It's never had anything other than Windows 10 on it - unless they upgraded it at the factory.

A brand new ativa 8GB USB flash drive. Note that the packaging for the USB drive does not include Windows 10 in the System Requirements, but seriously?

What I've tried:

• Plugging the flash drive into all three USB ports (USB 2, USB 2, and USB 3)
    • Reformatting the flash drive with FAT32
    • Restarting the computer with the flash drive plugged in
    • Turning off Real-Time Scanning in McAffee

I've seen a few threads with this issue in Windows 8, but none of the potential solutions in those threads have worked for me. So here I am asking the same question, but for Windows 10.

Does anyone have any suggestions for resolving this issue?

Thank you.

Ambisinister, Dec 6, 2018
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    USB Recovery

Hi Janie,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Please reply to the following questions to get a better understanding on the issue:

• Are you getting any error message?
    • How are you creating the recovery USB?

However, you can follow the steps from Create a recovery drive
    to create a recovery drive.

Hope it helps.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Nikhar_K, Dec 6, 2018
  4. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Dec 6, 2018
Thema:

1. Is it safe to write additional files to Windows 10 Recovery Drive USB? - Similar Threads - safe write additional

2. Problems copying additional MP4 files to a USB Flash Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems copying additional MP4 files to a USB Flash Drive: I have a number of MP4 files which I am trying to copy to a USB Flash Drive. Each file is approximately 17GB. I have been able to copy File 1 which runs in WMP. I then load File 2, which also runs in WMP. However, when I copy File 3 all three files fail to run.It does not...
  3. Problems copying additional MP4 files to a USB Flash Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problems copying additional MP4 files to a USB Flash Drive: I have a number of MP4 files which I am trying to copy to a USB Flash Drive. Each file is approximately 17GB. I have been able to copy File 1 which runs in WMP. I then load File 2, which also runs in WMP. However, when I copy File 3 all three files fail to run.It does not...
  4. File History/USB Recovery Drive/Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    File History/USB Recovery Drive/Windows 10: I have installed and formatted a new portable USB flash drive into one of my computer ports. Its purpose is to backup my computer file images thereby completing a file history from time to time. My "device manager" shows that it is not working or connected. How do I...
  5. windows 10 recovery usb drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 recovery usb drive: I have a dell 5290 2in 1 laptop, it showed a error message of 0xc000000f * I Downloaded windows 10 from a different computer to a USB stick * i then put the usb into the dell computer it went into recovery mode for about 20 minutes then said there was a probelm and no...
  6. USB Recovery Drive

USB Recovery Drive: I have an ACER computer that was updated from Windows 7 to 10 when the update was still free. The updates are up to date except for the 2H20. I was trying to make a USB Recovery Drive. I tried to follow the directions I could find on the web. After finding and opening...
  7. Write Protect USB Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Write Protect USB Drive: I need to make some data easily transferable and *tinker proof*. I have a set of 20 GB mostly PDF other Documents. Therefore I would like to put this data on a USB stick and afterward block anyone from editing selected parts. What can I do and how? submitted by...
  8. Recovery USB drive Windows 10 not working

Recovery USB drive Windows 10 not working: I am trying to reset my PC. I have lost my original recovery CD, so I made a recovery USB drive instead following the necessary steps. It is not working. My PC does not recognise it, though the USB does work. The PC has had some virus problems in the past, and that may have...
  9. Will not write to USB drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Will not write to USB drive: My Windows 10 OS has decided it does not like USB flash drives any more. It knows one is plugged in, there is a bleep when it's plugged in, File Manager shows it as "USB Drive H:", Device Manager shows it as a mass storage device and it is present as a hidden icon on the...
  10. USB Recovery Drive in Windows 10?

USB Recovery Drive in Windows 10?: Hi what size is best for a USB flash drive memory stick in order to create a recovery drive for the newly installed Win 10 pls? Is 64GB too large? Appreciate any help Thx 46164

Users found this page by searching for:

1. additional files windows 10 usb