Windows 10: Is it still necessary to remove non-OS disks during installation?

Discus and support Is it still necessary to remove non-OS disks during installation? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; With Vista/7/8/8.1, having more than 1 HDD/SSD physically attached meant that the system partition(s) could potentially be on any disk. Is this still... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Raident, Dec 26, 2015.

1. Raident Win User

Is it still necessary to remove non-OS disks during installation?

With Vista/7/8/8.1, having more than 1 HDD/SSD physically attached meant that the system partition(s) could potentially be on any disk. Is this still the case in 10, or has Microsoft finally fixed this bug?

:)

Raident, Dec 26, 2015

2. Can I Uninstall Some of Those Previous Updat?

NO they are all necessary both in office and in the OS> If you have remove one version of office you can remove the updates related to it

You can run a disk cleanup wizard to remove temporary files and other things. Make sure to include system files when you do

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Dec 26, 2015
  3. Which files are safe to delete?

Thanks for the reply, Ruth.

I sometimes use Disk Cleanup, but that's not what I'm asking about.

When trying to remove hidden malware, it's often necessary to boot into a non-native environment, such as with the Windows installation media, or with Linux live media. This allows for the easy removal of files that are "locked", but have no good reason
    to be. When booted into such an environment, tools that exist on the hard drive cannot, and shouldn't be used; therefore, it's necessary to manually remove these files.

Can you help me complete the above list of locations where delete-able files are known to exist? Thanks.

DaneMutters, Dec 26, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

When I installed 10 I didn't disconnect my secondary HDD and I didn't have any issues.

BunnyJ, Dec 26, 2015
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    Windows 10 setup normally only updates the boot files already contained on a system (if it finds any) rather than creating new ones. Windows 10 will install the operating system wherever you tell it to, but the boot files that load before the OS may be on a different HDD/SSD if they were preexisting.

A common occurrence is that someone will install a new hard drive for Windows 10 in addition to an old hard drive for Windows 7. They install Windows 10 onto the new hard drive, but Windows 10 doesn't create new boot files on the new hard drive, it updates the boot files on the old Windows 7 hard drive. The person then decides to "take the plunge" and format their old Windows 7 hard drive and the computer won't boot the next time because they just erased the boot files.

The way to be absolutely sure you know which drive the boot files are going to install to is to have only the drive connected that you want both Windows 10 and the boot files to be on when you install Windows.

NavyLCDR, Dec 26, 2015
  6. SoFine409 Win User
    Amen. That happened to me when I installed a new SSD a short time ago. Save yourself the headache and disconnect the old drive.

SoFine409, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Is it still necessary to remove non-OS disks during installation? - Similar Threads - still necessary remove

2. Page file/scratch disk on faster non-OS drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Page file/scratch disk on faster non-OS drive?: Now I suspect the answer is that I will not notice any difference but I have an older 250GB 500/500 (read/write) SATA SSD as C: with Windows 10 running on it and I am getting a WD Black SN750 m.2 nvme with 1TB and approx 3000/2000 (read/write) as E:. I'd rather not reinstall...
  3. Disconnect non OS drives (C:) during installation.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Disconnect non OS drives (C:) during installation.: Does anybody know if there is a way to disconnect drives (other than the current OS C: drive) without physically unplugging them? I get confused when I see the other drive partitions where I'm going to install Windows but I also find physically unplugging the drives a pain....
  4. Multiple Recovery Partitions on my disk + Remove deprecated OS installation

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Multiple Recovery Partitions on my disk + Remove deprecated OS installation: Issue 1: I had purchased a Windows 8 installation with my Dell laptop, i upgraded it to windows 8.1, and later to windows 10 when it was initially released. But at that time, it was riddled with bugs, so i reverted back to windows 8 and continued to use 8 without any...
  5. It's necessary create a usb rescue disk?

in Windows 10 Support
    It's necessary create a usb rescue disk?: Hello, I want to know if it is necessary to create a rescue usb disk, in case windows 10 does not boot, if you already have the original windows 10 installation USB, downloaded through the media creator. Sorry for my English and thanks. 140034
  6. Disk space usage, is this really necessary?

in Windows 10 Support
    Disk space usage, is this really necessary?: So being a persistent fiddler I was poking around with Treesize (a very useful little utility) and came across the following. I have 1 HDD, the Windows partition is 439Gb in size with 27.8Gb in use. When I set this up it was a clean install of 1903 (the .295 version), I...
  7. Non RAID disks show as removable but RAID disks show as normal

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Non RAID disks show as removable but RAID disks show as normal: Hi everyone! I researched a lot over this problem, but I cannot figure out how to resolve it. Motherboard: Intel DP55WB, BIOS version: 0336 BIOS has 3 options for hard drives: IDE, RAID, AHCI In Windows 10 Pro x64 If I select AHCI in BIOS all disks show as internals, but...
  8. Slipstreaming still necessary?

Slipstreaming still necessary?: Hello folks, I am on the way of a new era of using SSD. My evo 860 just arrived. I do not want to go through the installation of 100s of updates so was considering slipstreaming updates in the installation media. Going through older threads here makes me feel that ISO...
  9. Is it necessary to remove existing Antivirus?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is it necessary to remove existing Antivirus?: I bought Avast antivirus for my windows 7 from here. should we uninstall the existing antivirus before installing the new one? 82267
  10. Installation on 3TB disk (Non Uefi)

Installation on 3TB disk (Non Uefi): Hi everyone! I was wondering if there is an easy way of installing W10 in larger disks (+2TB) on systems with no UEFI Support Right now my HDD is formatted with MBR, windows 10 is installed in it, and have ~700GB of unallocated space wich i cant use due to partition...