Windows 10: Is it time to ditch the swapfile

Discus and support Is it time to ditch the swapfile in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; The swap file was created in the early days of Windows when hardware was expensive so rather than getting a new hard drive, you had the swap file to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by swarfega, Jun 3, 2015.

1. swarfega Win User

Is it time to ditch the swapfile

The swap file was created in the early days of Windows when hardware was expensive so rather than getting a new hard drive, you had the swap file to help you out.

With Windows 10 due next month, I wonder if its time to ditch the swap file and and disable it completely.

:)

swarfega, Jun 3, 2015
  2. Melmond Win User

Solved: Windows 10 Upgrade - what worked for me

I have a 56GB SSD used for the OS. Despite ensuring at least 14GB of free space, Windows 10 (Pro) kept trying to install, then reverting back to Windows 7 (Pro). Based on the advice of another thread, I even junctioned my C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution
    to my HD (this seemed to work fine). Tried the download several times, then burned the ISO disk, however, nothing seemed to work, until...

Because the SSD isn't very large, my swapfile is pointed at my data HD. On one of the latest failed installations, I noticed my SSD had again filled up. The usual c:\$ temp directories created off the root didn't exist, (remnants of an imminent or failed
    installation). Looks like the install process automatically overrode my swapfile settings and again created this huge swapfile off my C:\ SSD.

Turning off the Swapfile again, I received a warning message suggesting that the swapfile should be at least 800MB. What the heck, I thought - nothing else worked, so with the full swapfile still in place on my data drive, I set a fixed swapfile on the
    C:\ SDD of exactly 800MB. Ran the Windows 10 Setup.exe from the ISO disk again, and wouldn't you know - success! (Debating whether or not to eliminate the C:\ swapfile again - I'll leave it be for now and see).

Hope this helps someone! Is it time to ditch the swapfile :)

Pete

Melmond, Jun 3, 2015
  3. Swapfile seems rather large

My PC is running Win 10 Pro 64 bit, 4GB RAM (upgraded from Win 7 Pro)

At times task manager shows my disk usage is running at 100%

My swapfile is currently 6322 MB, with the recommended figure 1394 MB

This seems a remarkably large swapfile and is considerably bigger than the recommended value. Is this normal? Is it anything to be concerned about?

Gandalf458a, Jun 3, 2015
  4. Cliff S New Member

Nope. How will windows defrag without it? What about VSS? What about software that needs it?
    Source:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/a...or-anyway.aspx

Cliff S, Jun 3, 2015
  5. I have it disabled on my PC's that have an SSD. They each have 8 GB of RAM. No issues that I am aware of.

alphanumeric, Jun 3, 2015
  6. Cliff S New Member
    I've seen where someone had 32GB RAM and had problems because he thought he could turn page file off.

Cliff S, Jun 3, 2015
  7. Some software will nag you if it can't find a page file, regardless of how much RAM you have. Adobe comes to mind. I've had no nag screens or popup messages etc. Even when gaming on my desktop PC. As always, YMMV.

8. Clintlgm Win User

I have 16GB RAM and SSD, I had the page file turn off for quite some time with out issues. I believe that with out the page file it just forces what would be written page file be kept in RAM? I also did configure a small 1 gb page file as I learned that some programs intentionally do write to the page file. I haven't noticed any difference with or with out. SSD have built in Over Provisioning for garbage collection and I have set off another 25 GB of unused space for Garbage collection. I don't use Sleep mode at all. it only takes this notebook about 15 Seconds to boot. I do leave the hiberfil file 16GB there just incase some thing should cause me to lose power and my battery run down completely.

Clintlgm, Jun 3, 2015
  9. I killed hibernation and the hiberfil.sys file from the command prompt. I never ever use sleep or hibernation on my laptop.

10. Cliff S New Member
    Don't we also need at least 16 MB for dump files? for BSOD etc....?

Cliff S, Jun 3, 2015
  11. Yes I do believe your correct. I haven't had a BSOD in years so I'll take my chances. *Wink Looking at the dump files never did me any good anyway.

12. Cliff S New Member
    I haven't either. And if I did, there's always a Macrium image handy*Smile. Why go through all the stress, right?

Cliff S, Jun 3, 2015
  13. Clintlgm Win User

I agree however I don't need the space and for emergency reasons I keep available.

Clintlgm, Jun 3, 2015
  14. Mystere Win User
    No.

First, that was not why the swap file was created. Windows is an inherently Virtual Memory based system. Everything is virtual memory, and windows picks and chooses what to store in physical memory. By disabling the swap file, you actually hurt performance because Windows cannot do this anymore, and cannot optimize its working sets.

In addition, certain functions will not work properly, like crash dumps. So if you get a BSOD it may not be able to write a dump and you would be in a reboot loop. Further, some software explicitly utilizes pagefiles such as Photoshop.

You can create a very small pagefile, but I wouldn't recommend that either... just let windows manage it. You get the most out of it then. Windows can then optimize its internal working sets to make the most room for caches and buffers to keep performance up.

Mystere, Jun 3, 2015
  15. swarfega Win User
    So far I agree with the statement that if you have 16gb of memory then your probably safe in turning the swapfile off.

swarfega, Jun 3, 2015
Thema:

1. Is it time to ditch the swapfile - Similar Threads - ditch swapfile

2. Windows 10’s new feature wants you to create a Microsoft account; ditch local accounts

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10’s new feature wants you to create a Microsoft account; ditch local accounts: If you’ve successfully set up your PC with a local account, a new Windows 10 feature will nag you to create a Microsoft account. This feature will be turned on by default in Windows 10’s May 2024 Patch Tuesday, which will begin rolling out to the general public and IT admins...
  3. Can i install windows 10 and ditch windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can i install windows 10 and ditch windows 11?: I have a new desktop that came installed with Windows 11.I want Windows 10 operating system on it as i'm taking an IT course soon which is all working on the Windows 10 platform.So will i have to buy a product key/digital license for Windows 10 to be activated once i download...
  4. Can i install windows 10 and ditch windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can i install windows 10 and ditch windows 11?: I have a new desktop that came installed with Windows 11.I want Windows 10 operating system on it as i'm taking an IT course soon which is all working on the Windows 10 platform.So will i have to buy a product key/digital license for Windows 10 to be activated once i download...
  5. Ditching having to sign in with Microsoft password every time.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Ditching having to sign in with Microsoft password every time.: I've just purchased a new Dell all in one. Is it still possible to turn of the Hello screen so that i don't have to continually sign in with my Microsoft password every time. The Require Sign In option does not have a Never setting....
  6. Google Chrome: It's time to ditch the browser

in Browsers and Email
    Google Chrome: It's time to ditch the browser: Interesting article from ZD-Net. I don't think I would "ditch" it as the author is suggesting, but the issues he raises regarding power and performance on various platforms, and what he calls "native" browser versus other may interest you. Google Chrome: It's time to ditch...
  7. Last ditch

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Last ditch: I've tried to ask this before, but I'm trying to do a clean install of my hdd, but I want to know what I can keep? I've workd out that the drive is certainly giving me blue screens most days, I'm many troubleshoots past that. But how much do I have to delete? Old videos? Old...
  8. Microsoft ditches Windows 10 update that allegedly killed performance

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft ditches Windows 10 update that allegedly killed performance: Earlier this year, Microsoft started rolling out forced Windows Update tiled “KB4559309” and it alleged killed system performance for many users. This update was reportedly pushed out to a wide range of devices to replace the old Edge browser with the new Chromium-based one....
  9. If I hadn't kept my email the same since the beginning of the internet I'd ditch hotmail

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    If I hadn't kept my email the same since the beginning of the internet I'd ditch hotmail: I loathe MS when I realize how many of the things they do are super duper stupid. I spent now a long time going over my hotmail emails and deleting the ones I didn't want to keep, both in sent and inbox. The next thing I know, the sent folder which I had organized is...
  10. Did microsoft ditch onedrive overlays entirely?

in Windows 10 Support
    Did microsoft ditch onedrive overlays entirely?: I'm doing that awesome overlay shuffle we all do in the ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers registry key due to the 15 item limit. Microsoft has been exceptionally slow at opening these up, but it appears theyve made concessions where they could. Best i can tell onedrive now uses...