Windows 10: Is it time to ditch the swapfile

Discus and support Is it time to ditch the swapfile in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there I think you have to distinguish between PAGE and SWAP files. SWAPPING consists of a "Dump" or Copy of a users address space in it's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by swarfega, Jun 3, 2015.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Is it time to ditch the swapfile

Hi there

I think you have to distinguish between PAGE and SWAP files. SWAPPING consists of a "Dump" or Copy of a users address space in it's entirety whereas PAGING consists of simply copying out to HDD those parts of memory that are not actually being concurrently used by the system when another process needs more memory and there isn't enough in the system.

I'm not sure if it's possible to actually set a SWAP file on Windows -- however provided you have enough REAL RAM you can actually turn off the paging file -- Windows will use REAL RAM to create a paging file if it needs one any way and there isn't any HDD space or allocations.

However it's best to leave the OS to manage this sort of stuff -- HDD space is cheap enough anyway.

I think though that Windows tends to forget the difference between SWAP and PAGE -the terms in classical OS design ARE NOT INTERCHANGEABLE although Ms might erroneously have made them so.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jun 3, 2015
  2. swarfega Win User

Well I'm referring to the old pagefile.sys.

swarfega, Jun 3, 2015
  3. swapfile.sys appeared in Win8 methinks
    pagefile.sys, hiberfil.sys, and swapfile.sys

I've always used custom page file, usually 1/4 to 1/2 the memory installed (older Wins wanted it all or 3/4). As Mystere explained, the page file isn't what it used to be.
    Hibernation always gets turned off on these machines, even the laptop
    I haven't researched swap file.

Anyway, the only reason you need a pagefile to match installed memory is for a full memory dump. A minidump will tell you lot, and that only requires 256 KB - if the cause of the dump is re-occurring, you can increase your environment to get a full dump if needed.

The minimum pagefile is 16 MB, but I usually run a 1.5 or 2 GB page file on C:

Slartybart, Jun 3, 2015
  4. bobfrost Win User

bobfrost, Jun 3, 2015
  5. Dude Win User

6. Very good reference Mr Frost. So swap is mainly for the apps, eh.

Hey ... aren't you one of the Batman's arch enemies - I always liked you ... well the character anyway.

Is it time to ditch the swapfile [​IMG]

The Riddler was just annoying *Smile

edit: oops, not Mr Frost ... Mr Freeze

Slartybart, Jun 3, 2015
  7. bobfrost Win User

bobfrost, Jun 3, 2015
  8. Mystere Win User

swapfile.sys is used for suspending Universal (ie Modern/Metro) apps. Most people don't realize that Universal apps are really a completely different operating system running within the Win32 OS. That's why it has its own swapfile.

Mystere, Jun 4, 2015
  9. Stevo Win User
    I normally disable the swapfile completely and everything runs great, but Samsung Magician (for my SSD), turns it back on by default and sets it to 200MB ->1GB. However, if you read Samsung's tooltips, they have this to say about SSD's:

"In order to address any potential lack of memory capacity, the Windows operating system automatically generates a block of virtual memory (pagefile.sys) on the C: drive. For example, a Windows® 7 64-bit system with 4 GB of physical memory would generate 4 GB of virtual memory at boot time. In the past, before PC Memory (DRAM Modules) were available in high volume, PCs needed to utilize some HDD space to address any memory shortcomings. Today, with PCs featuring 4 GB of memory or more, it is possible to reduce or even eliminate the use of virtual memory. Additionally, using expanded physical memory, rather than creating virtual memory on the SSD, has performance and reliability advantages for the entire system. Some applications may require the use of virtual memory. In this case, please consider your specific application requirements before disabling this feature."

I'll be disabling it again since I avoid Metro apps, and I will be fine with a longer lasting SSD and system stability for the long term.

Stevo, Jun 4, 2015
  10. May I ask. What do you get out of turning off the swapfile? (Other then free space.) I see this pop up all the time, what benefit are you getting from turning off the swapfile?

logicearth, Jun 4, 2015
  11. bobfrost Win User
    Do you mean the "swapfile" or the pagefile?

bob frost

bobfrost, Jun 4, 2015
  12. Both. Swapfile Pagefile, really both the same thing. I rather be general here.

However, I'm going to follow Mark Russinovich, as far as I'm concerned he actually knows what he is talking about.

Blogs - Mark's Blog - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

logicearth, Jun 4, 2015
  13. Cliff S New Member

Cliff S, Jun 5, 2015
  14. Thanks Cliff,

This is a well written and clear document ... and ... it is current.

I skimmed it and now I understand what that automatic setting does. I think that setting would work best if you let Windows manage the page file - This setting automatically selects the best system crash dump based on the frequency of system crashes. so teh page file has to be a bit dynamic.

Slartybart, Jun 5, 2015
  15. Cliff S New Member
    Being Dynamic: this is one of the reasons on my main every day system image, I leave pretty much everything set the way Microsoft planned and Windows set. It's a very dynamic system. It will have a set maximum of space or percentile of space given and only uses what it needs or overwrites if too large or not large enough in most cases. A good example is the hiberfileL:, some people think they need to tweak it, to a set maximum size, so it doesn't fragment and only those specific blocks will be used, but that "can" cause problems.

Cliff S, Jun 5, 2015
Thema:

1. Is it time to ditch the swapfile - Similar Threads - ditch swapfile

2. Windows 10’s new feature wants you to create a Microsoft account; ditch local accounts

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10’s new feature wants you to create a Microsoft account; ditch local accounts: If you’ve successfully set up your PC with a local account, a new Windows 10 feature will nag you to create a Microsoft account. This feature will be turned on by default in Windows 10’s May 2024 Patch Tuesday, which will begin rolling out to the general public and IT admins...
  3. Can i install windows 10 and ditch windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can i install windows 10 and ditch windows 11?: I have a new desktop that came installed with Windows 11.I want Windows 10 operating system on it as i'm taking an IT course soon which is all working on the Windows 10 platform.So will i have to buy a product key/digital license for Windows 10 to be activated once i download...
  4. Can i install windows 10 and ditch windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can i install windows 10 and ditch windows 11?: I have a new desktop that came installed with Windows 11.I want Windows 10 operating system on it as i'm taking an IT course soon which is all working on the Windows 10 platform.So will i have to buy a product key/digital license for Windows 10 to be activated once i download...
  5. Ditching having to sign in with Microsoft password every time.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Ditching having to sign in with Microsoft password every time.: I've just purchased a new Dell all in one. Is it still possible to turn of the Hello screen so that i don't have to continually sign in with my Microsoft password every time. The Require Sign In option does not have a Never setting....
  6. Google Chrome: It's time to ditch the browser

in Browsers and Email
    Google Chrome: It's time to ditch the browser: Interesting article from ZD-Net. I don't think I would "ditch" it as the author is suggesting, but the issues he raises regarding power and performance on various platforms, and what he calls "native" browser versus other may interest you. Google Chrome: It's time to ditch...
  7. Last ditch

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Last ditch: I've tried to ask this before, but I'm trying to do a clean install of my hdd, but I want to know what I can keep? I've workd out that the drive is certainly giving me blue screens most days, I'm many troubleshoots past that. But how much do I have to delete? Old videos? Old...
  8. Microsoft ditches Windows 10 update that allegedly killed performance

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft ditches Windows 10 update that allegedly killed performance: Earlier this year, Microsoft started rolling out forced Windows Update tiled “KB4559309” and it alleged killed system performance for many users. This update was reportedly pushed out to a wide range of devices to replace the old Edge browser with the new Chromium-based one....
  9. If I hadn't kept my email the same since the beginning of the internet I'd ditch hotmail

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    If I hadn't kept my email the same since the beginning of the internet I'd ditch hotmail: I loathe MS when I realize how many of the things they do are super duper stupid. I spent now a long time going over my hotmail emails and deleting the ones I didn't want to keep, both in sent and inbox. The next thing I know, the sent folder which I had organized is...
  10. Did microsoft ditch onedrive overlays entirely?

in Windows 10 Support
    Did microsoft ditch onedrive overlays entirely?: I'm doing that awesome overlay shuffle we all do in the ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers registry key due to the 15 item limit. Microsoft has been exceptionally slow at opening these up, but it appears theyve made concessions where they could. Best i can tell onedrive now uses...