Windows 10: Is it time to ditch the swapfile

Discus and support Is it time to ditch the swapfile in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; For those that weren't around "in the day", Windows ME and earlier had the swapfile while Windows NT4 and later have the pagingfile. I have seen... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by swarfega, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Berton Win User

Is it time to ditch the swapfile

For those that weren't around "in the day", Windows ME and earlier had the swapfile while Windows NT4 and later have the pagingfile.

I have seen both scenarios in use, a paging file and no paging file. Only issue with no paging file was with some programs that wouldn't install if the paging file wasn't present. My presumption is that programmers will need to modify their programs to work with no virtual memory if it's done away with and most everyone knows how quickly that will happen with some cost to the users involved. Used to be some graphics programs needed a 'scratch' file or drive while working in them, don't use those anymore so can't comment on the newer versions.

Berton, Jun 5, 2015
  2. Frank1 Win User

I have also disabled the swap file/page file (call it what you want) and never had a problem. I believe that MS is smart enough that with out the page file they could come up with a another place to put the dump files. So I agree that the page file is as obsolete as a crank on a car.

Frank1, Jun 6, 2015
  3. BunnyJ New Member
    I just leave the settings be ... I don't know more than MS so I bet it's best not to change them.

BunnyJ, Jun 6, 2015
  4. Victek Win User

Choosing "automatically manage paging file size for all drives" is the simplest option. I have an SSD (OS) and mechanical hard drive (data) though and prefer to manually assign most of the page file space to the mechanical disk. I follow the OSs recommended size for the main file and create just a small file on "C:" to allow for a small memory dump. Are you aware of any disadvantages to this arrangement? TIA *Nerd

Victek, Jun 6, 2015
  5. linw Win User
    Me too. Just have never seen any point in saving a gig or so of disk.

6. Stevo Win User
    Not so much a disadvantage as a trade-off. While on one hand you are moving unnecessary write cycles away from the SSD and preserving the long term integrity of the SSD, on the other hand you are moving your page file to a slower medium and introducing unnecessary lag into your pc routine whenever your system resorts to the page file. However, if you have a lot of RAM, and you don't use huge applications that exceed the available memory, then you may rarely utilize the page file anyway.

Stevo, Jun 7, 2015
  7. Stevo Win User
    There is no 1 answer to cover all here, it depends completely on your system. Generally speaking...

If you have an older or slower system with less than 4GB of RAM, especially with a HDD, and also including tablet PC's, then you would likely benefit from having a page/swap file. For the most benefit you can create a separate partition to set your page file into. It makes the page file easier to defragment, keeps the OS less fragmented, and makes it easy to format the partition every once in a while and start a fresh page file with no errors or fragmentation. Additionally, if you have a 2nd harddrive, you might gain a slight speed boost by putting the page file on a partition on the 2nd harddrive. That way it can pull user data from the OS HDD and the 2nd HDD nearly simultaneously.

If you have a faster or newer system with 4GB or more RAM, especially with an SSD, then you will likely gain performance and system integrity by removing the page file completely (or almost completely if you need to restore crash files: see above post).

Stevo, Jun 7, 2015
  8. Is it time to ditch the swapfile

I'm confused! (nothing new there)
    It appears that the 'Swapfile' and the "Pagefile" are being transposed as if they were the same thing......they are NOT.
    Nor do they serve the same function. Both are required for the smooth and efficient operation of Windows.

If you want to get rid of the 800# gorilla in the room, then turn off Hibernation and that will get rid of the monstrous Hiberfil.sys file in your root directory. I've not turned off Hibernation yet, on this new install of 10135 and my Hiberfil.sys file is 1.66GB LARGE.

The need for a Pagefile comes up in some forum at least once every month and my personal favorite and the most authoritative answer is "Leave it Alone". Just as soon as you get rid of it, some program that needs it will crash. Since it amounts to a HD replacing RAM, having a nice fast HD is important for best efficiency.

Happy Computing!
    *Cool

TechnoMage, Jun 7, 2015
  9. Stevo Win User
    I would guess we are nowhere near being able to do away with the page file. On the hardware side of it, there are too many people around the world that still have sub-standard PC's and HDD's that could benefit from it. On the Application side there are millions of users with Metro apps or software that has programming that requires it, as well as the IT departments and developers needing crash logs.

What would be REALLY nice is if Microsoft kindly implemented a new tool that helped manage the virtual memory better based on individual needs, instead of just leaving it to default "auto" settings for all consumers. Maybe even a re-write of the virtual memory management system?...well, ok, just wishful thinking there? *chuckle

Stevo, Jun 7, 2015
  10. arachnaut Win User
    Doesn't ProcMon need to use the virtual memory for its trace?

arachnaut, Jun 7, 2015
  11. Victek Win User
    This may be because swapfile.sys does not exist in Windows 7. It was introduced (or reintroduced) in Windows 8.

Hiberfil.sys, Pagefile.sys the New Swapfile.sys file in Windows 8

Victek, Jun 9, 2015
  12. Clintlgm Win User
    Well while following links in this thread I came across a solution to the huge Hiberfil.sys file. If you only have 8 gb of RAM you Hiberfil.sys will be only 8GB! So no mater how much RAM you have like my case 16GB half of that is wasted space. this runs in advance CMD system32 powercfg.exe /hibernate /size 50 will cut the Hiberfil.sys to 8GB. that is a significant savings of space while still being covered for total loss of power.*Cool

Clintlgm, Jun 9, 2015
  13. iamc3k Win User

Necrothreading...

My computer has 32GB of ram, and I'm about to double that. Just because. *Smile Anyway, using a 500GB SSD, that means my pagefile is at 32GB. That's about to double...just like my ram. That's NOT what I want. The assumption in a LOT of these recommendations is that ram is a small percentage of the hard drive size (whether it's a spinner or ssd).

Once I find out where W10 hides the pagefile settings, I'll be dropping it to 4GB.

Ken

iamc3k, Mar 20, 2016
  14. OldMike65 Win User
    Go to your System's folder, Advanced system settings, Performance, Click settings, then click Advanced tab. *Smile

OldMike65, Mar 20, 2016
  15. Mystere Win User
    These settings are in exactly the same place as they've always been in NT based windows.

4GB is fine. You do not need to have a swapfile as large as memory. You just need a swapfile, or certain apps won't work and certain functions (like memory dumps) won't function correctly.

Mystere, Mar 20, 2016
Thema:

1. Is it time to ditch the swapfile - Similar Threads - ditch swapfile

2. Windows 10’s new feature wants you to create a Microsoft account; ditch local accounts

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10’s new feature wants you to create a Microsoft account; ditch local accounts: If you’ve successfully set up your PC with a local account, a new Windows 10 feature will nag you to create a Microsoft account. This feature will be turned on by default in Windows 10’s May 2024 Patch Tuesday, which will begin rolling out to the general public and IT admins...
  3. Can i install windows 10 and ditch windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can i install windows 10 and ditch windows 11?: I have a new desktop that came installed with Windows 11.I want Windows 10 operating system on it as i'm taking an IT course soon which is all working on the Windows 10 platform.So will i have to buy a product key/digital license for Windows 10 to be activated once i download...
  4. Can i install windows 10 and ditch windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can i install windows 10 and ditch windows 11?: I have a new desktop that came installed with Windows 11.I want Windows 10 operating system on it as i'm taking an IT course soon which is all working on the Windows 10 platform.So will i have to buy a product key/digital license for Windows 10 to be activated once i download...
  5. Ditching having to sign in with Microsoft password every time.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Ditching having to sign in with Microsoft password every time.: I've just purchased a new Dell all in one. Is it still possible to turn of the Hello screen so that i don't have to continually sign in with my Microsoft password every time. The Require Sign In option does not have a Never setting....
  6. Google Chrome: It's time to ditch the browser

in Browsers and Email
    Google Chrome: It's time to ditch the browser: Interesting article from ZD-Net. I don't think I would "ditch" it as the author is suggesting, but the issues he raises regarding power and performance on various platforms, and what he calls "native" browser versus other may interest you. Google Chrome: It's time to ditch...
  7. Last ditch

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Last ditch: I've tried to ask this before, but I'm trying to do a clean install of my hdd, but I want to know what I can keep? I've workd out that the drive is certainly giving me blue screens most days, I'm many troubleshoots past that. But how much do I have to delete? Old videos? Old...
  8. Microsoft ditches Windows 10 update that allegedly killed performance

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft ditches Windows 10 update that allegedly killed performance: Earlier this year, Microsoft started rolling out forced Windows Update tiled “KB4559309” and it alleged killed system performance for many users. This update was reportedly pushed out to a wide range of devices to replace the old Edge browser with the new Chromium-based one....
  9. If I hadn't kept my email the same since the beginning of the internet I'd ditch hotmail

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    If I hadn't kept my email the same since the beginning of the internet I'd ditch hotmail: I loathe MS when I realize how many of the things they do are super duper stupid. I spent now a long time going over my hotmail emails and deleting the ones I didn't want to keep, both in sent and inbox. The next thing I know, the sent folder which I had organized is...
  10. Did microsoft ditch onedrive overlays entirely?

in Windows 10 Support
    Did microsoft ditch onedrive overlays entirely?: I'm doing that awesome overlay shuffle we all do in the ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers registry key due to the 15 item limit. Microsoft has been exceptionally slow at opening these up, but it appears theyve made concessions where they could. Best i can tell onedrive now uses...