Windows 10: Is it time to ditch the swapfile

Discus and support Is it time to ditch the swapfile in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Ive not come across any such apps so far. I know Photoshop used to need swapfile, not sure about later versions. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by swarfega, Jun 3, 2015.

1. swarfega Win User

Is it time to ditch the swapfile

Ive not come across any such apps so far. I know Photoshop used to need swapfile, not sure about later versions.

swarfega, Mar 20, 2016

2. Pretty much the same situation here. Don't get me wrong, I'm not concerned about the space, but I have no applications that specifically need paging (by page file, I mean part of your hard disk being used to simulate extra RAM). I used to set the min/max values to an equal size equaling about a third of my system RAM. However since running x64 systems with 7 GB of RAM (so that's XP, Vista, and now 8), I now turn it off.

There DEFINITELY seems to be a visibile improvement in throughput. I mean heck, even if the system needs to create a page file when system RAM fills up, a SCSI HDD will still be slower than RAM. But the need for Windows to create the "emergency" paging file has only ever happened when I pushed the limits by opening multiple instances of applications with many files open. I filled up the system RAM to see what would happen. Towards the end, system stability became questionable as I could no longer open an app properly (without enough free RAM left). But until I got to 6.5 GB used, it was smoooooooth sailing.

And again, that was a test procedure. That never happens in day-to-day use. When I use Adobe Audition, it requires temp directories for it own audio caching, but since that's application specific, so I let the program deal with that.

Otherwise, I've had no problems with disabled paging for more than five years going. (The true answer is, it depends what you use it for).

You know what this reminds me of? Disabling Superfetch. I'll tell ya, perhaps it is more efficient by design to let Windows dynamically utilize unused RAM for disk and file caching. But my systems have ALWAYS improved in performance when I just allow for Prefectching. I think that Windows gets a bit bogged down when it has to decide what Superfetch memory to relinquish to the system, when another application or two is opened. So Windows needs to constantly re-evaluate how much RAM goes to applications VS Superfectch. I really seem to get a snappier system once Superfetch is disabled (only through the registry though. I never disable the Superfectch service, because that would kill Prefetching.)
    *Smile

Jody Thornton, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Is it time to ditch the swapfile

1. Is it time to ditch the swapfile - Similar Threads - ditch swapfile

2. Can i install windows 10 and ditch windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can i install windows 10 and ditch windows 11?: I have a new desktop that came installed with Windows 11.I want Windows 10 operating system on it as i'm taking an IT course soon which is all working on the Windows 10 platform.So will i have to buy a product key/digital license for Windows 10 to be activated once i download...
  3. Can i install windows 10 and ditch windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can i install windows 10 and ditch windows 11?: I have a new desktop that came installed with Windows 11.I want Windows 10 operating system on it as i'm taking an IT course soon which is all working on the Windows 10 platform.So will i have to buy a product key/digital license for Windows 10 to be activated once i download...
  4. Ditching having to sign in with Microsoft password every time.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Ditching having to sign in with Microsoft password every time.: I've just purchased a new Dell all in one. Is it still possible to turn of the Hello screen so that i don't have to continually sign in with my Microsoft password every time. The Require Sign In option does not have a Never setting....
  5. Google Chrome: It's time to ditch the browser

in Browsers and Email
    Google Chrome: It's time to ditch the browser: Interesting article from ZD-Net. I don't think I would "ditch" it as the author is suggesting, but the issues he raises regarding power and performance on various platforms, and what he calls "native" browser versus other may interest you. Google Chrome: It's time to ditch...
  6. Last ditch

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Last ditch: I've tried to ask this before, but I'm trying to do a clean install of my hdd, but I want to know what I can keep? I've workd out that the drive is certainly giving me blue screens most days, I'm many troubleshoots past that. But how much do I have to delete? Old videos? Old...
  7. Microsoft ditches Windows 10 update that allegedly killed performance

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft ditches Windows 10 update that allegedly killed performance: Earlier this year, Microsoft started rolling out forced Windows Update tiled “KB4559309” and it alleged killed system performance for many users. This update was reportedly pushed out to a wide range of devices to replace the old Edge browser with the new Chromium-based one....
  8. If I hadn't kept my email the same since the beginning of the internet I'd ditch hotmail

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    If I hadn't kept my email the same since the beginning of the internet I'd ditch hotmail: I loathe MS when I realize how many of the things they do are super duper stupid. I spent now a long time going over my hotmail emails and deleting the ones I didn't want to keep, both in sent and inbox. The next thing I know, the sent folder which I had organized is...
  9. Did microsoft ditch onedrive overlays entirely?

in Windows 10 Support
    Did microsoft ditch onedrive overlays entirely?: I'm doing that awesome overlay shuffle we all do in the ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers registry key due to the 15 item limit. Microsoft has been exceptionally slow at opening these up, but it appears theyve made concessions where they could. Best i can tell onedrive now uses...
  10. It's 2019 do I ditch the bios bootup password?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    It's 2019 do I ditch the bios bootup password?: Hello, I've used a bios bootup password on my old laptop for many years. I've just got a 2018 Lenovo X1 Carbon which currently does not have a bios boot password. With changes in technology (my decision to use a bios password was very long ago) I wonder if there's still good...