Windows 10: Is it wise to use the preset hidden administrator account?

Discus and support Is it wise to use the preset hidden administrator account? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I was wondering if I could use the premade admin account for my everyday one but I am not sure if it's safe to, or if not how could I make another user... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by therealeelez, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Is it wise to use the preset hidden administrator account?

I was wondering if I could use the premade admin account for my everyday one but I am not sure if it's safe to, or if not how could I make another user the overall admin? Danke

:)

therealeelez, Jan 22, 2016
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Is it wise to use Reimage with Windows 10 systems?

These instructions can help you.

BulldogXX, Jan 22, 2016
  3. PhilipvR Win User
    Is it wise to use Reimage with Windows 10 systems?

Thanks. Will remove immediately

PhilipvR, Jan 22, 2016
  4. Is it wise to use the preset hidden administrator account?

Hello therealeelez Welcome to the Ten Forums!

For advanced users only! would be the typical advice you would hear about this. You have to remember that the System admin is just that the Windows system's own administration over everything as far as the main functions and services go. Elevating the user admin's account by taking ownership over things is generally the recommended option as still seeing Windows left intact in case the user account gets foobarred by some chance on you.

You can always create a new user account and see that made into a new admin account to replace the first while if the system admin gets trashed you are stuck with the need to see a clean install of Windows from scratch all over again if not able to perform a repair of that! And this is I can only state the obvious answer of "For Advanced Users Only"! since you have to be knowledgeable in that area while even advanced users will tend to simply stay with a typical admin account rather then risking the default system.

Night Hawk, Jan 22, 2016
  5. LMiller7 Win User
    For general use, NO.

Recommended practice on the NT platform has always been to create your own admin level account. But for general use it was recommended to create a standard account and reserve the admin account for when it was needed. It was recommended to put a strong password on the built in Administrator account and write it down and put it in a safe place. In early versions the Administrator account could not be disabled.

It was never intended that the built in Administrator account be used for general use.

Things changed somewhat in Vista with the introduction of UAC. A user created Admin level account had only standard account permissions and you had to request full admin rights when needed. That remains so in Windows 10. The first time such an account was created the built in Administrator account was disabled. It too was never intended to be used for general use.

As convenient as it is you really shouldn't be using a full time administrator account for general use, particularly when accessing the Internet. The Administrator account is such an account.

Also be aware that by design the Administrator account is not compatible with modern apps and there are some other issues as well. In Windows 10 the Administrator account can be left disabled and that is probably a good idea.

LMiller7, Jan 22, 2016
  6. Well said! I still use a user created admin account here but behind a good firewall and often for testing purposes where the elevated permissions are a requirement. That's the first user account however to be seen on a single user pc without any effect on the built in admin however.

For seeing it isolated I will turn to a second remote system controlled remotely for testing new builds or new downloads for screening purposes before they ever see the main build. I can also adjust system settings and watch to observe the outcome without any risk of trashing Windows either 10 or 7 on the main system as well.

Typically however the owner will see the admin account when the system has multiple users with each other using a standard account they are required to log into. You will see even more so at businesses where the company tech will set up each new user account when a new employee arrives as well as delete accounts for former employees.

Night Hawk, Jan 22, 2016
  7. Mystere Win User
    You will find that many things don't work when using the built-in administrator account. The same way many things do not work if you disable UAC in a normal users account. Universal apps won't function (including the Settings app, which has many functions that do not exist elsewhere, and Edge, and a number of other apps).

I understand that many find UAC, and the enhanced security permissions annoying, but the days are gone of being able to run as an unfettered administrator. Just learn how to work effectively within the UAC framework, and you will find things are much better, rather than constantly trying to fight it.

Mystere, Jan 22, 2016
  8. Is it wise to use the preset hidden administrator account?

Thanks for the advice. But lastly I can only use the command prompt on the premade administration account can't I?

9. Well the used of the Command prompt(admin) option found in the menu of choices when right clicking on the Start button is one way to either enable or disable the built in admin account. I think you would better off reviewing the guide for this itself to learn just how and why you would want it enabled or disabled. Administrator account - Enable or Disable in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Night Hawk, Jan 22, 2016
  10. Thanks for the tips guys. Also (since you seem to know you're stuff) have you solved the no internet bug on windows 10?

11. LMiller7 Win User
    What "no internet bug" ?

LMiller7, Jan 22, 2016
  12. When the small yellow triangle appears with the explanation mark in the middle and dispite having working wifi Windows doesn't connect with it for a while.

therealeelez, Jan 23, 2016
  13. Is it wise to use the preset hidden administrator account?

"ipconfig /all" to show all network information followed by "ipconfig /release" to clear the cache followed by 'ipconfig /renew" or "/new" to re-establish a fresh private ip address, Mac address, etc. by seeing the present configuration dumped to get a new one going. Those are common place commands entered into an elevated command prompt or the Command prompt(admin) option seen in 10. A reference for getting things set up as well as troubleshooting however would be the guide for Wireless Networks found in the tutorial section. Wireless Network - Connect To in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Night Hawk, Jan 23, 2016
  14. I found out fast how to get things Wirelessly going with 10 before even seeing the guide by first needing now the second laptop not only set up for use here originally for someone else but later when that person had to remain at a care facility for having at least one nurse available 24/7 and the place has WiFi but for the one laptop passed around.

First getting 10 to detect the existing network(s) depending on how many WiFi capable are closeby will be the first step as the correct one will need to be selected and may require a password. Even with a separate router added onto the WiFi capable cable modem here that sees a "Guest" option it still tends to want to connect through the primary account I had to set up originally. On occasion I have even had to clear out one connection in order to get the first laptop to connect all over again on the home network before 10 came along from the previous summer 2014.

Night Hawk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Is it wise to use the preset hidden administrator account?

1. Is it wise to use the preset hidden administrator account? - Similar Threads - wise preset hidden

2. REMOVE hidden "Administrator Account"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    REMOVE hidden "Administrator Account": I am getting decidedly tired of the repeated messages in Windows 10 on my overpriced Microsoft-based Alienware computer telling me that I do not have administrator privileges and therefore my actions are blocked. I am the ONLY account on my PC besides the damned hidden admin...
  3. REMOVE hidden "Administrator Account"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    REMOVE hidden "Administrator Account": I am getting decidedly tired of the repeated messages in Windows 10 on my overpriced Microsoft-based Alienware computer telling me that I do not have administrator privileges and therefore my actions are blocked. I am the ONLY account on my PC besides the damned hidden admin...
  4. REMOVE hidden "Administrator Account"

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Completely reset hidden Administrator account?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Completely reset hidden Administrator account?: Hi, not sure if anyone can help - this is more of an OCD type request. I recently needed to activate the hidden Administrator account and on first run it asked me to set a password and then ran the OOBE. I found a page on EightForums where Brink explained how to reset the...
  6. Completely reset hidden Administrator account?

in Windows 10 Support
    Completely reset hidden Administrator account?: Hi, not sure if anyone can help - this is more of an OCD type request. I recently needed to activate the hidden Administrator account and on first run it asked me to set a password and then ran the OOBE. I found a page on EightForums where Brink explained how to reset the...
  7. Using administrator account

Using administrator account: Is it necessary to use the administrator account if I am the only person using the computer and it is a personal computer. Is there any advantage to having an administrator account. I think it is causing me some problems as I am not sure what settings are going where.....
  8. Is your hidden administrator account inactive?

Is your hidden administrator account inactive?: I have been using the hidden administrator account for almost like 10 years. Is it really not recommend for daily use? I am puzzled with this kind of account. I see all my friends computer, and their computers don't have the hidden administrator active and disabled. I see the...
  9. Should i enable the hidden administrator account?

Should i enable the hidden administrator account?: Should i enable the hidden administrator account? Could someone clarify what the advantage is? 125074
  10. Hidden Administrator account, no backup admin

Hidden Administrator account, no backup admin: I foolishly hid my only administrator account using the registry editor and I can't do anything with the secondary account that I have on the computer. I went to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon Created a new key...