Windows 10: Is it worth reusing my old SATA drive?

Discus and support Is it worth reusing my old SATA drive? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have an old Seagate 1Tb SATA HDD from my last computer. It measures 4 x 5 3/4 inches. Could I get a caddy for this and reuse it with my new Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ShadowLad, Nov 20, 2020.

1. ShadowLad Win User

Is it worth reusing my old SATA drive?

I have an old Seagate 1Tb SATA HDD from my last computer. It measures 4 x 5 3/4 inches. Could I get a caddy for this and reuse it with my new Windows 10 laptop, or is it an obsolete form factor and not worth the additional cost?

:)

ShadowLad, Nov 20, 2020
  2. senderj Win User

IDE drive to SATA host

Thank you for all the replies.
    @cereberus, I want to reuse the IDE devices because I don't want to waste them. In fact DVD writer is the one I want to reuse. Buying an SATA writer is very cheap nowadays, but if there is a way to reuse old ones than it will reduce carbon emission.
    @das10, @muchomurka, there is no jumper at both boards and I've tried all jumper settings at my IDE devices: master, slave, cs. Also I use different power source for the boards and the devices when testing. @Others, thank you for your suggestions on IDE2USB and PCI2IDE, will try them out if settings/configurations cannot make my boards working.

senderj, Nov 20, 2020
  3. SATA DVD-RW Drives

Hey Guys,

So, I finally just bought my new rig: EVGA A1 Mobo (w/ 6 SATA Slots), 2 WD Raptors (SATA - Gonna RAID 0 Boot), 4 Seagate 320GB Barracuda's (SATA - Gonna RAID 5 Storage).
    However, I realized I also bought 2 DVD-RW drives, in SATA *Eek! Is it worth reusing my old SATA drive? :eek: not enough SATA ports on the mobo...

So a couple of questions follow:
    1) Is SATA really faster for DVD-RW drives than IDE?
    2) Is there anyway to Inline/Series the (2) SATA DVD-RW drives, kinda like you do with IDE (Master/Slave)?
    3) Are there any SATA-->IDE reverse adaptors (not the opposite, I know those exist)?
    4) Based on the above answers, should I:
    • a) Get a PCI-E SATA RAID Card to Handle One of the RAID Arrays, and keep the DVD-RW drives as SATA? (although those are dang expensive, AND I don't know where that PCI Card is gonna fit - got an 8800gtx, PCI Slot-Cooler, Wifi card... an extra slot but no room down there)
    • b) Return the DVD-RW SATA drives and get (2) IDE DVD-RW drives?
    • Another option that won't require me spending a lot of money?
    Eesh, I'm kinda stuck on my build if I don't have a CD Drive to read from for Windows Install(I don't have any extra ones sittin around - and I want to install my RAID 5 Storage array right away)

Suggestions?*Confused Is it worth reusing my old SATA drive? :confused:

surfsk8snow.jah, Nov 20, 2020
  4. Is it worth reusing my old SATA drive?

New SATA II Drive

I'm goin to be getting a new SATA dive soon, but would like some feedback from people on how they like theirs. Please list your SATA drive and what you think about it.

(and a question: are SATA II drive backwards compatible with SATA I mobo's?)

error_f0rce, Nov 20, 2020
Thema:

Is it worth reusing my old SATA drive?

1. Is it worth reusing my old SATA drive? - Similar Threads - worth reusing old

2. SATA hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SATA hard drive: Hi, my WD Blue M.2 NVME SSD, where I store most of my data on my computer, has a blue question mark over it. It does not appear in hidden devices in device manager, and does not show up in disk management. It is not recognized anywhere except where it has the blue question...
  3. SATA hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SATA hard drive: Hi, my WD Blue M.2 NVME SSD, where I store most of my data on my computer, has a blue question mark over it. It does not appear in hidden devices in device manager, and does not show up in disk management. It is not recognized anywhere except where it has the blue question...
  4. How do I reuse an old password?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How do I reuse an old password?: So this morning when I turned on my computer, it forced me to go through a verification process that I tried to skip, and forced me to change my password without my consent. I had seen a forum post...
  5. SATA drive issues

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    SATA drive issues: I use a WD Black 6TB HDD SATA drive as a second drive for files not as a system drive. The operating system is on a M2 SSD. The drive has been working fine for a few weeks until I started getting an error message on startup saying that the $RECYCLE.BIN is corrupted. I get...
  6. Can I recover data from my old IDE/SATA hard drives?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I recover data from my old IDE/SATA hard drives?: I have multiple hard drives from old computers that I am trying to recover data from. I have a USB 3.0 to SATA/IDE adapter. But, when I plug it in to my Windows 10 desktop and turn it on, the file explorer stops responding? It seems to freeze the whole desktop? How do I get...
  7. external SATA drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    external SATA drive: My win 10 cannot recognise my Prestigio external SATA drive when it previously can. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-sata-drive/5c2030a1-97ce-48d4-9f12-dc4980914ebf
  8. Reusing old HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Reusing old HDD: I just got an ssd for my pc. I want to use it as my boot drive, and my old hard drive for storage. Do I need wipe the HDD, and if so, how do I do it? submitted by /u/TheThirdWheel13 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/erwehu/reusing_old_hdd/
  9. SATA CD drive

SATA CD drive: my HP desktop will not recognize the sata CD drives. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sata-cd-drive/5d6da69b-7d11-4954-9b7a-93a26cb3fb09
  10. SATA drives missing

SATA drives missing: My PC has just installed the latest Windows 10 updates but 2 of my drives are now missing. There should be a SATA HDD and Blue Ray disc drive. They are showing in the BIOS but when I checked Device Manager they are hidden, when I checked properties they are showing as...