Windows 10: Is it worth setting up another user account for my dad?

Discus and support Is it worth setting up another user account for my dad? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; My dad got me to order him a new laptop and it should be here, hopefully, very soon! He uses it for running a few programs to control his model... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by g41851, Mar 9, 2019.

1. g41851 Win User

Is it worth setting up another user account for my dad?

My dad got me to order him a new laptop and it should be here, hopefully, very soon!

He uses it for running a few programs to control his model railway with and he browses the internet with it and that's all he will be using it for.

I'm wondering if it would just be easier for me to create an account seperate from the admin account on the machine for him to use?

On his old Windows 7 laptop everything was done under the one admin account and I had to reinstall everything from scratch numerous times due to him having fiddled around with and broken something.

If I do create a seperate account, and he does do something "wrong" with it, can I simply just delete that account and create a new one and he can start again, rather than having to go through the process of repairing files or reinstalling the OS?

:)

g41851, Mar 9, 2019
  2. angus Win User

Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account

Hello,
    Unfortunately I have the same issue as Dabz from upgrading win7 to win10.
    I've tried opening settings using all the suggested methods and it will not load using my account with Administrator access nor the built-in Administrator profile. I also tried other methods not listed such as using Run. Control panel is just a stepping stone to add users in Settings.
    I'm also having explorer.exe issues, which I believe is preventing Settings from loading.
    Using cmd (Admin) I successfully created a new user profile [and granted admin access also using cmd (Admin)], however win10 will not allow this account to log on. win10 does not list this new user within control panel but it does in the start menu. win10 will not allow to log in or switch to the new account via the start menu either.
    I can access settings in Safe Mode but this will not allow me to create a new account.
    Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

angus, Mar 9, 2019
  3. User Account Settings

Hello,

To better help you with your concern, kindly provide us the following:

• Screenshot of the User Account Settings that you are trying to access.
    • Steps that you have done with the registry.
    Looking forward to your response.

Jamille Nar, Mar 9, 2019
  4. Vesao Win User

Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:
      Code:
      net user test /del

Vesao, Mar 9, 2019
Thema:

1. Is it worth setting up another user account for my dad? - Similar Threads - worth setting another

2. how do I set up a separate account for another user on my computer

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    how do I set up a separate account for another user on my computer: I had to set up a new computer I'm trying to set this one up the same way but Micro soft wont let me I used to have 2 separate accounts for myself and my sons business it wont let me do this now please help...
  3. how do I set up a separate account for another user on my computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do I set up a separate account for another user on my computer: I had to set up a new computer I'm trying to set this one up the same way but Micro soft wont let me I used to have 2 separate accounts for myself and my sons business it wont let me do this now please help...
  4. how do I set up a separate account for another user on my computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Switch Admin User to Another Account and Keep Settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Switch Admin User to Another Account and Keep Settings: I built and set up my wife's computer. I used my account to set it up and create everything. It is her work computer and her entire business is on the computer. We are now getting a divorce and she wants it to be under her account and her information, but she doesn't want to...
  6. Switch Admin User to Another Account and Keep Settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Switch Admin User to Another Account and Keep Settings: I built and set up my wife's computer. I used my account to set it up and create everything. It is her work computer and her entire business is on the computer. We are now getting a divorce and she wants it to be under her account and her information, but she doesn't want to...
  7. Set up another account on laptop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Set up another account on laptop: How do I set up a second account on my laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/set-up-another-account-on-laptop/560f28d0-253f-496d-b396-5a37cb2b2b74
  8. Setting up User Accounts

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Setting up User Accounts: Hi, I'm a new refugee from Windows 7, with not much computer knowledge. On W7 I had one admin account and one user account, so that I could use the latter for daily use and just go admin for downloads and backups. I'd like to do the same with W10, but this new system with...
  9. Set up user account profile to be readable by another user?

Set up user account profile to be readable by another user?: My goal is to set up permissions on a user account profile to be readable by another user. I'm setting up such scheme for an automated backup purpose. So, say I have two standard user accounts -- User A that is a general user of the system, whose data will be backed up:...
  10. Setting up a separated user account

Setting up a separated user account: Kind of a weird question, though I'm sure you can guess what I'm asking about. Is there a way to create a user account that is hidden from the other users on a computer, or at least hidden from the initial login screen? Even more preferable, though I'm sure probably not...