Windows 10: Is Microsoft botching Windows? How to get starting apps or settings with [win]+a few...

Discus and support Is Microsoft botching Windows? How to get starting apps or settings with [win]+a few... in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; It was so convenient to start an app or a setting with [win]+a few letters from it's name.Now, it accepts only the first letter and does not even... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by rin67630, Feb 28, 2024.

1. rin67630 Win User

Is Microsoft botching Windows? How to get starting apps or settings with [win]+a few...

It was so convenient to start an app or a setting with [win]+a few letters from it's name.Now, it accepts only the first letter and does not even return accurately all matches.Who takes those stupid decisions?How to get the better behaviour back?

:)

rin67630, Feb 28, 2024

2. Microsoft Botches Up UEFI Support for Windows 7 on ASUS Motherboards

Is Microsoft botching Windows? How to get starting apps or settings with [win]+a few... [​IMG]

Microsoft suggests updating to Windows 10 to patch Windows 7
    • Tweet
    • Facebook
    • Google plus
    • Send to
    9 Comments

MICROSOFT HAS confirmed a potentially lappy-borking problem that it won't be fixing, because Windows 7.

Woody Leonhard, the respected Windows columnist, points to a problem involving Asus motherboards, which also appear rebadged in a variety of other manufacturers' machines, and the activation of UEFI Secure Boot for Windows 7 in a patch KB3133977.

Short version: install update, welcome to Borksville, population you.

Both Asus and Microsoft acknowledged the problem. Microsoft entitled the article "BitLocker can't encrypt drives because of service crashes in svchost.exe process in Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2", but we prefer to just call it "Trevor for brevity."

The firm's advice was that it's an optional update, leave well alone, you'll be fine, or alternatively turn secure boot off.

Then Microsoft did a silly, silly thing.

It moved the update from 'optional' to 'recommended' and anyone who reads this site regularly will know what happens when Microsoft does this. That's right boys and girls - it makes it automatically install, unless you've specifically told your machine not to.

So now, if you have one of the affected motherboard and you keep your security updates automatic like wot Microsoft recommends, then your machine will stop working properly.

We should add it's not permanently bricked, but it will take some mucking about in the BIOS to fix and that's a pain even for an experienced computer user.

Microsoft has, by offering a workaround, suggested heavily that it won't be fixing the problem, though we have asked the question, so expect a response in about a fortnight.

But the real kicker is this piece of advice: "Note The Secure Boot feature is supported in Windows 10. To learn more about the security advantages of this feature and about the upgrade path from Windows 7 to Windows 10, go to the following Windows website"

Holy toledo, this company really knows how to rub people up the wrong way.

After all - if the advice is to manually avoid the update or move to a version of the operating system where there's virtually no control over updates, then Microsoft is dealing in massive contradictions.

A more cynical site would suggest that it's yet another example of Microsoft running Windows 7 into the ground and adding built in obsolescence to encourage quicker updates. But we're not that sort of site.

Its the patching to force secure boot that is the problem win 7 does not support secure boot
    hence it borks systems and well microsofts answer is Cactus >your Asshole > insert

from the inquirer

dorsetknob, Feb 28, 2024
  3. dorsetknob, Feb 28, 2024
  4. archz2 Win User

Is Microsoft botching Windows? How to get starting apps or settings with [win]+a few...

RE: Botched Updates

Here are the screenshots of various information acquired and tests done so far.

Is Microsoft botching Windows? How to get starting apps or settings with [win]+a few... 232609d1556971635t-botched-updates-windows-update-list-seagate-full-test.png

Is Microsoft botching Windows? How to get starting apps or settings with [win]+a few... 232608d1556971635t-botched-updates-windows-update-list-virtual-memory-information.png

Is Microsoft botching Windows? How to get starting apps or settings with [win]+a few... 232607d1556971634t-botched-updates-windows-update-list-ccleaner-screenshot.png

Is Microsoft botching Windows? How to get starting apps or settings with [win]+a few... 232606d1556971634t-botched-updates-windows-update-list-startup-recovery.png

Is Microsoft botching Windows? How to get starting apps or settings with [win]+a few... 232605d1556971634t-botched-updates-windows-update-list-hdtune_error-scan_04-may-2019_17-04.png

Is Microsoft botching Windows? How to get starting apps or settings with [win]+a few... 232604d1556971634t-botched-updates-windows-update-list-health-scan_04-may-2019_17-05.png

Is Microsoft botching Windows? How to get starting apps or settings with [win]+a few... 232603d1556971633t-botched-updates-windows-update-list-03-may-2019_20-08_testing1.png

Is Microsoft botching Windows? How to get starting apps or settings with [win]+a few... 232610d1556971636t-botched-updates-windows-update-list-seagate-test1.png

archz2, Feb 28, 2024
Thema:

1. Is Microsoft botching Windows? How to get starting apps or settings with [win]+a few... - Similar Threads - Microsoft botching starting

2. Is Microsoft botching Windows? How to get starting apps or settings with [win]+a few...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is Microsoft botching Windows? How to get starting apps or settings with [win]+a few...: It was so convenient to start an app or a setting with [win]+a few letters from it's name.Now, it accepts only the first letter and does not even return accurately all matches.Who takes those stupid decisions?How to get the better behaviour back?...
  3. How to get to settings in Windows 11 app?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to get to settings in Windows 11 app?: How to get to settings in Windows 11 app? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-get-to-settings-in-windows-11-app/bfbd8042-1ad4-4dc4-80a5-0362370db27d
  4. How to get to settings in Windows 11 app?

How to get to settings in Windows 11 app?: How to get to settings in Windows 11 app? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-get-to-settings-in-windows-11-app/bfbd8042-1ad4-4dc4-80a5-0362370db27d
  5. Botched Microsoft Support help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Botched Microsoft Support help: I've just gotten Windows 11 Single Language and wished to change that single language to another. There was a way around in Windows 10, but I wasn't sure about 11.A million attempts to contact support later, one girl finally took the time to hear me out and found a solution:...
  6. Botched Microsoft Support help

Botched Microsoft Support help: I've just gotten Windows 11 Single Language and wished to change that single language to another. There was a way around in Windows 10, but I wasn't sure about 11.A million attempts to contact support later, one girl finally took the time to hear me out and found a solution:...
  7. Microsoft store and store app do not appear in Settings/Apps, and they both crash in a few...

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft store and store app do not appear in Settings/Apps, and they both crash in a few...: The problem of the Microsoft Store crashing immediately after opening has been an issue for others for example, see https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/get-appxpackage-the-database-disk-image-is/a08ae8a1-20b3-4491-82a6-8c1e04ca3e15. I have not seen it,...
  8. Win 10 1709 Settings app starts then crashes.

Win 10 1709 Settings app starts then crashes.: I've just upgraded my Dell Latitude E6420 laptop from Win 10 Pro 1607 to 1709. The only problem I've found is that I can't run the Settings app. It starts, shows the blue 'flash' screen, then disappears. Watching Task Manager processes during this the Windows Problem...
  9. Botched Upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Botched Upgrade: I have a botched Upgrade and quite sure it was because of an old BIOS not compatible with the Upgrade. I say this because I've seen this with many HP machines, and, there are Very New, and many BIOS Firmware updates present on the site for this pc. Not to mention all the BIOS...
  10. Microsoft Releases the Win 10 Tool That Helps Block Botched Updates

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Releases the Win 10 Tool That Helps Block Botched Updates: [img] Windows 10 TH2 finally brings Windows Update for Business With the release of Windows 10 Threshold 2, Microsoft says that its new desktop operating system finally becomes ready for the enterprise, as the update includes a series of new features specifically...