Windows 10: Is Microsoft deprecating the People feature in Windows 10?

Discus and support Is Microsoft deprecating the People feature in Windows 10? in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft introduced a feature that it called My People back in 2017 in Insider Builds of the then-upcoming Fall Creators Update feature update for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Dec 17, 2018.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Is Microsoft deprecating the People feature in Windows 10?

Microsoft introduced a feature that it called My People back in 2017 in Insider Builds of the then-upcoming Fall Creators Update feature update for Windows 10.

Windows 10 users could pin contacts to the Windows 10 taskbar for quick access to these contacts; communication apps that support My People could be assigned to contacts to communication quickly, and it was even possible to view chats from different apps quickly.

Windows users could hide the People icon on the Windows taskbar if they had no use for the feature. My People was supported by the default Windows apps Skype and Mail initially only.

Is Microsoft deprecating the People feature in Windows 10? my-people-660x461.png

A handful of third-party applications for Windows 10 added support for the People feature but support was limited.

Twitter user Albacore, who publishes insightful information regularly, suggests that the People Bar will be deprecated in the upcoming feature update for Windows 10.

In upcoming 19H1 Insider builds, the People Bar will show a deprecation notice. It's a shame to see something like this with rather interesting engineering behind it kick the bucket.

Microsoft has not confirmed or denied the claim at this point. Deprecation would mean that People remains available in Windows 10 version 1903 but that Microsoft engineers won't work on it anymore to add new features or make changes to its functionality.

Deprecated features will be removed from the operating system eventually; Microsoft deprecated the Snipping Tool in Windows 10 version 1809 for instance. Sometimes, deprecated tools are replaced with new apps or functions.

The People feature's usefulness was limited by application support in two meaningful ways: first, by the lack of availability of popular chat applications as UWP applications for Windows 10, and second, by the lack of support by apps available for Windows 10.

Microsoft is expected to release a support document for the upcoming feature update for Windows 10 that lists removed and deprecated features in that particular version.

Closing Words

I have to admit that I never used the People feature as it did not offer anything that would improve my workflows. I can see some users liking it a lot though if they use apps that support it regularly.

People will remain in Windows 10 version 1903 at the very least so that Windows users who make use of it can continue using it in that version.

Now You: did you use the People feature?

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon. Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Is Microsoft deprecating the People feature in Windows 10? appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Dec 17, 2018
  2. LEOPEVA64 Win User

Features being removed or deprecated in Windows 10 version 1809

It's funny that Microsoft has not included disk cleanup in the list of "Features we’re no longer developing", in another blog they already announced that this feature will be "deprecated", although in this list this clarification is made:

Is Microsoft deprecating the People feature in Windows 10? [​IMG]

PS, @Brink, just out of curiosity, why did you add the word "deprecated"? in the original text it doesn't appear.

LEOPEVA64, Dec 17, 2018
  3. Windows 10 Mobile Deprecated Features

Hi Greg,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

Please be informed that we do not have information on whether the mentioned features will be re-added or deprecated. Should there be any changes or updates regarding changes in Windows 10, it will be updated in
    Windows Blog, therefore, I would suggest you to constantly check the blog for new information and updates on Windows 10.

If you have any Windows related queries in the future, let us know. We will be glad to help.

Wungraileng Vashi, Dec 17, 2018
  4. Is Microsoft deprecating the People feature in Windows 10?

Microsoft Selects Dolby Audio for Windows 10

it would've been great if microsoft added HEVC decoders, LAV filters along with other codecs with Windows 10, and developing WMP to be better than VLC, KMPlayer and such sorts of media players.

Nevertheless, this is good step for microsoft, by far.

Analog_Interface, Dec 17, 2018
Thema:

Is Microsoft deprecating the People feature in Windows 10?

1. Is Microsoft deprecating the People feature in Windows 10? - Similar Threads - Microsoft deprecating feature

2. These are the deprecated and removed features of Windows 11

in Windows 10 News
    These are the deprecated and removed features of Windows 11: Windows 11 will be released later this year. Windows 10 users may upgrade to the new system for free, provided that the device meets all system requirements, or they may stay on Windows 10, which continues to be supported until 2025. As is the case with many feature updates...
  3. Features removed and deprecated in Windows 10 version 21H1

in Windows 10 News
    Features removed and deprecated in Windows 10 version 21H1: Features and functionality removed in Windows 10 Each version of Windows 10 adds new features and functionality; occasionally we also remove features and functionality, often because we've added a better option. Below are the details about the features and functionalities...
  4. Microsoft updates list of deprecated Windows 10 features : goodbye My People (November 2019)

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft updates list of deprecated Windows 10 features : goodbye My People (November 2019): Microsoft has updated the list of features and technologies that it is no longer developing after the release of Windows 10 version 1909 in November 2019. Windows 10 is an operating system that is constantly in development. Microsoft releases two feature updates per year and...
  5. Features removed and deprecated in Windows 10 version 1909

in Windows 10 News
    Features removed and deprecated in Windows 10 version 1909: Features and functionality removed in Windows 10 version 1909 Each version of Windows 10 adds new features and functionality; occasionally we also remove features and functionality, often because we've added a better option. Below are the details about the features and...
  6. Windows 10 version 1903: removed and deprecated features

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 version 1903: removed and deprecated features: Windows 10 version 1903, the May 2019 Update, has been out for a couple of days. Microsoft published a list of Windows 10 version 1903 features that it removed, will remove soon, or is no longer developing. The company did the same for previous Windows 10 feature update...
  7. Windows 10 version 1809: removed and deprecated features

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 version 1809: removed and deprecated features: As is the case with all new Windows 10 feature releases, some features have either been removed outright from the new version or put on hold for removal in a later version. Tip: check out the removed and deprecated features of Windows 10 version 1803 here. The removed...
  8. Windows 10 v1809 removed or deprecated features list

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 v1809 removed or deprecated features list: [ATTACH] Every time a major of Windows 10 is released, some of the features are removed. Either those features lose their importance because of the introduction of new features or are just not useful because of new technology. Microsoft is due [...] This post Windows 10...
  9. Deprecated and Removed Features in Windows 10 Version 1803

in Windows 10 News
    Deprecated and Removed Features in Windows 10 Version 1803: Each release of Windows 10 adds new features and functionality; we also occasionally remove features and functionality, usually because we've added a better option. Here are the details about the features and functionalities that we removed in Windows 10, version 1803 (also...
  10. Features that are removed or deprecated in Windows 10 Creators Update

in Windows 10 News
    Features that are removed or deprecated in Windows 10 Creators Update: The following features and functionalities in the Windows 10 Creators Update edition (to be released on April 2017) have either been removed from the product in the current release (“Removed”) or are not in active development and are planned for potential removal in...