Windows 10: Is Microsoft's official answer to repairing corrupted files manually REALLY to buy another...

Discus and support Is Microsoft's official answer to repairing corrupted files manually REALLY to buy another... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I ran the sfc scannow command line thing, and it found corrupt files, but said it could not repair them for some reason. I looked at this official... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ReiJohnston, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Is Microsoft's official answer to repairing corrupted files manually REALLY to buy another...

I ran the sfc scannow command line thing, and it found corrupt files, but said it could not repair them for some reason. I looked at this official microsoft support article:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system

and it said that I would have to manually replace each file with a known good version of that file. Leaving aside the issue of why sfc is able to find the specific location of corrupted files but not repair them, the article's section on obtaining known good files, again, on an official Microsoft support page, was this exact quote:

"You may be able to get a known good copy of the system file from another computer that is running the same version of Windows with your computer. You may perform a System File Checker process on that computer to make sure the system file that you intend to copy is a good copy."

Am I really to believe that Microsoft's official troubleshooting guide for fixing corrupt files is to buy a second computer with a second two hundred dollar copy of the operating system and poach individual files from that computer to copy over to your first one? Why is Microsoft incapable of providing these files themselves? Why is the sfc tool capable of locating corrupted files and yet incapable of replacing them? It knows where they are, doesn't it?

Anyway, I am hoping someone can tell me a slightly more elegant solution to this problem than "buy a new computer".

:)

ReiJohnston, Dec 3, 2019

2. Corrupted file RAR

If the archive has been created using WinRAR, why don't you try WinRAR itself? It has a built-in repair feature for repairing corrupted archive (ZIP as well as RAR). Follow the steps given below:
    • Open WinRAR application in your system.
    • Now click on File tab > Open or simply press Ctrl+O.
    • A small window "Find Archive" will pop up. Locate the corrupt RAR archive from your system directory and select it.
    • Now click Open button.
    • Click Tools tab > Repair archive or simply press Alt+R.
    • Again a small window "Repairing File name.rar" will pop up.
    • Now click Browse to select a location to save the repaired archive.
    • Check the box "Treat the corrupt archive as RAR" and click OK.
    • WinRAR will start repairing of corrupt RAR archive. Once it gets completed click Close.
    I hope the above steps will help you repair the corrupted RAR archive.

Thanks.

Lincoln Dunne, Dec 3, 2019
  3. malware Win User
    Microsoft Windows Home Server Corrupts Files

Microsoft has warned Windows Home Server users not to edit files stored on their backup systems with several of its programs, including Vista Photo Gallery and Office's OneNote and Outlook, as well as files generated by popular finance software such as Quicken and QuickBooks. "When you use certain programs to edit files on a home computer that uses Windows Home Server, the files may become corrupted when you save them to the home server," Microsoft said in a support document posted last week. The document went on to list the software, which includes Windows Vista Photo Gallery, Windows Live Photo Gallery, OneNote 2003, OneNote 2007, Outlook 2007, Microsoft Money 2007 and SyncToy 2.0 Beta. Others programs, however, may also corrupt files stored on a home server powered by Microsoft's operating system. "Additionally, there have been customer reports of issues with Torrent applications, with Intuit Quicken and with QuickBooks program files," the document said. "Until an update for Windows Home Server is available, we recommend that [you] do not use the programs that are listed to save or to edit program-specific files that are stored on a Windows Home Server-based system."

Source: Computerworld

malware, Dec 3, 2019
  4. Is Microsoft's official answer to repairing corrupted files manually REALLY to buy another...

Corrupted file RAR

Never had a successful repair on a corrupted rar file especially if it was torrent or p2p

dorsetknob, Dec 3, 2019
Thema:

Is Microsoft's official answer to repairing corrupted files manually REALLY to buy another...

1. Is Microsoft's official answer to repairing corrupted files manually REALLY to buy another... - Similar Threads - Microsoft's official answer

2. Really, it's an answer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Really, it's an answer.: I will be getting rid of the POS HP/microsoft laptop I bought that restricts me by S mode and will invest in a company and product that will support my needs as a user. This product is useless!...
  3. Really, it's an answer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Really, it's an answer.: I will be getting rid of the POS HP/microsoft laptop I bought that restricts me by S mode and will invest in a company and product that will support my needs as a user. This product is useless!...
  4. Corrupt files not repaired by DISM

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Corrupt files not repaired by DISM: Hi,I have used DISM to check health of my system, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 Installed on ‎02-‎Sep-‎20 OS build 19043.1288 It reports some files corrupt but can be repaired, scannow reports the same. But attempts to use DISM to repair files fails using either online repair...
  5. Corrupt files not repaired by DISM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Corrupt files not repaired by DISM: Hi,I have used DISM to check health of my system, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 Installed on ‎02-‎Sep-‎20 OS build 19043.1288 It reports some files corrupt but can be repaired, scannow reports the same. But attempts to use DISM to repair files fails using either online repair...
  6. Corrupt files not repaired by DISM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. VLC --really good tool for repairing corrupt video files (mp4 etc)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    VLC --really good tool for repairing corrupt video files (mp4 etc): Hi folks Never realized it but VLC is actually a good video file "repairer" (and it's 100% free) easy way --from menu choose media-->convert/save add your file then save unless file is totally unsalvageable it should do the trick for you. Also good for converting to...
  8. Cannot repair member file. How to manually repair?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot repair member file. How to manually repair?: I've ran a scan [sfc /scannow] on my registry and it told me Cannot repair member file, check cbs.log. Well I check the cbs.log and searched for cannot repair to find that I have 4 that could not be repaired automatically. My question is how do I manually repair these said...
  9. repairing corrupt files

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    repairing corrupt files: After running sfc /scannow on my windows 10 installation I have been advised tthat there are corrupt files. I have viewed the log and would like to know what these messages mean. " 000010fd Warning - Overlap: Duplicate ownership for directory...
  10. Download the Official Microsoft Windows 10 Mobile User Manual

in Windows 10 News
    Download the Official Microsoft Windows 10 Mobile User Manual: Download the Official Microsoft Windows 10 Mobile User Manual Redmond offers info to get around the new operating System Windows 10 Mobile is finally available for devices running Windows Phone (at least for some of them, as not all models are supported), but given...