Windows 10: Is "Mobile Hotspot" feature the same with manually create "Hosted Network" ?

Discus and support Is "Mobile Hotspot" feature the same with manually create "Hosted Network" ? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I use a USB wireless adapter TP-LINK TL-WN723N which support Hosted Network. I've tried to manually create a Hosted Network without any internet... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by karmapala, Mar 29, 2020.

1. karmapala Win User

Is "Mobile Hotspot" feature the same with manually create "Hosted Network" ?

I use a USB wireless adapter TP-LINK TL-WN723N which support Hosted Network.

I've tried to manually create a Hosted Network without any internet connection guided from the internet :

1. netsh wlan show drivers ---> Hosted network supported : Yes

2. netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=Computer key=12345678

3. netsh wlan start hostednetwork

So, although on my computer there is no internet connection, my computer is as if a hotspot.
    With my android phone wifi setting on, I can choose "Computer", put the password "12345678", then it's connected.
    The computer's shared folder can be read on my phone via CX File Explorer app.

On the other hand, I also tried the "Mobile Hotspot" feature in Windows 10 Network & Internet setting.
    Since to use this feature I must have an internet connection, so I "cheat" like this :
    I enable the mobile hotspot on my phone....
    I enable the wifi on my computer then connect to that hotspot coming from my phone,

then I turn the "Mobile Hotspot" feature on, with the same network name and the same password point-2 above.
    Below is the snapshot of the Network Connection after I did above :

Is "Mobile Hotspot" feature the same with manually create "Hosted Network" ? f2d3702b-b150-4cda-bcb5-29ca89d5a129?upload=true.png

The realme 5 Pro on Wi-Fi icon is my android phone, and there is no red cross mark on the icon.

Next,

I turn off the mobile hotspot on my phone and in my computer, the Network Connection of the Wi-Fi icon now has a red cross mark, just like when I create "Hosted Network" manually :
    Is "Mobile Hotspot" feature the same with manually create "Hosted Network" ? 4e97bb74-fae2-4d43-8196-267333168c1d?upload=true.png
    then on the phone I enable the wifi and choose to connect to "Computer" with password "12345678".

But on my phone it never connected to the computer's hotspot as it stuck on "Obtaining IP address.....".

I wonder if it actually should work because creating Hosted Network manually is just the same with turning on the Mobile Hotspot feature via "cheating" or it actually won't work because although via "cheating" the Mobile Hotspot looks like the same with creating the "Hosted Network" manually - but it's not the same.

Any kind of respond would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you in advanced.

:)

karmapala, Mar 29, 2020

2. Why does "Mobile Hotspot" work, but not the netsh "Hosted Network"?

Hi Matthew,

Mobile Hotspot is a feature that has been recently added during the release of Windows 10 Anniversary Update (version 1607), while the Hosted Network started with Windows 7. It became a more popular approach in creating virtual WiFi networks since Windows 8
    had the Ad hoc connection was removed from the Network and Sharing Center.

With this in mind, setting up a virtual wifi network using the Hosted Network feature of netsh is now being managed by the Mobile Hotspot feature of Windows 10 version 1607. Hence, you will notice that using the Mobile Hotspot works but setting it up manually
    using Hosted Network doesn't.

If you really prefer to set up your virtual wifi network manually using Hosted Network instead of the new Mobile Hostpost feature, you may follow the steps below and recreate your virtual hotspot network:

Method 1: Enable Network Sharing.

• Press Windows key + R from your keyboard.
    • Type ncpa.cpl and hit enter.
    • Click Sharing tab.
    • Place a check mark under "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection".
    • Click Apply and hit OK.
    • Restart your computer.
    Method 2: Modifying Power Management Setting.

• Press Windows key + R from your keyboard.
    • Type devmgmt.msc and press enter.
    • Expand Network Adapters, right-click on the wireless adapter and then select
      Properties.
    • Choose Power Management tab.
    • Place a check mark under "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".
    • Click OK.
    • Restart your computer.
    Let us know how it goes.

Monica Cam, Mar 29, 2020
  3. Why does "Mobile Hotspot" work, but not the netsh "Hosted Network"?

Thank you SO much for a fast and relevant response! You don't know how much it makes my day when I can get a good response like that.

I first enabled "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection" for my wireless adapter. Then, I "placed a check mark" under (enabled) "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" (it was already enabled).

Then, I opened an administrator command prompt, and ran the two following commands:

netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=Test key=12345678

which yielded:

"The hosted network mode has been set to allow.

The SSID of the hosted network has been successfully changed.

The user key passphrase of the hosted network has been successfully changed."

After, I enabled the hosted network with "netsh wlan start hostednetwork". However, this is what I got:

"The hosted network couldn't be started.

The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation."

What now?

MatthewAirhart, Mar 29, 2020
  4. John Vil Win User

Mobile Hotspot

Hello Janet,

Windows 10 allows you to share an internet connection with other devices with a feature called Hosted Network. To check if your network adapter supports this feature, kindly follow the steps below:

• Press Windows + X and select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Enter this command and press Enter.

NETSH WLAN show drivers

If the generated output shows Hosted network supported: Yes, then you should be able to use your laptop as a mobile hotspot.

We're looking forward for your response.

John Vil, Mar 29, 2020
Thema:

1. Is "Mobile Hotspot" feature the same with manually create "Hosted Network" ? - Similar Threads - Mobile Hotspot feature

2. Mobile Hotspot vs Hosted Network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mobile Hotspot vs Hosted Network: Hi, My situation is as follows:I'm in a dorm room with a single ethernet port, and no wifi. Currently I'm using my windows PC to act as a router for all my other devices, with a wifi antenna attached to it. Currently I'm making use of the Hotspot, but it's not that reliable...
  3. Mobile Hotspot vs Hosted Network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mobile Hotspot vs Hosted Network: Hi, My situation is as follows:I'm in a dorm room with a single ethernet port, and no wifi. Currently I'm using my windows PC to act as a router for all my other devices, with a wifi antenna attached to it. Currently I'm making use of the Hotspot, but it's not that reliable...
  4. Mobile Hotspot vs Hosted Network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Hosted Network / Mobile Hotspot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hosted Network / Mobile Hotspot: For a couple months I've used the hosted network option for my ethernet, to turn it into a wifi connection for devices I use. Now, the hosted networking turns on fine, and my devices connect to it and work all the same, but my PC's ethernet connection falls dead, with my...
  6. Hosted Network / Mobile Hotspot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hosted Network / Mobile Hotspot: For a couple months I've used the hosted network option for my ethernet, to turn it into a wifi connection for devices I use. Now, the hosted networking turns on fine, and my devices connect to it and work all the same, but my PC's ethernet connection falls dead, with my...
  7. Creating Mobile Hotspot

Creating Mobile Hotspot: I am wanting to use my mobile internet data on my PC. I understand that to do this I need to create a 'mobile hotspot'. I am using Windows10 and cannot find this setting in my Network Settings tab. I am using a wired WiFi device ie connected to computer via usb cable Is...
  8. mobile hotspot working but no hosted network support

mobile hotspot working but no hosted network support: kindly give answer to this question: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/why-does-mobile-hotspot-work-but-not-the-netsh/5f62ad54-09df-4dcc-a68d-b2d1527ea3f3 this might be the reason for not being able to host games offline (csgo offline)...
  9. Mobile Hotspot Feature

Mobile Hotspot Feature: I am having a little bit of an issue with the mobile hotspot feature. Actually a list of different issues that come and go, but I'll stick with current. One thing I noticed while using the feature is that when a device went out of range of the hotspot the entire feature...
  10. mobile hotspot feature not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    mobile hotspot feature not working: 3 days ago after a windows update, the hotspot of my laptop stopped working. can anyone help???? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mobile-hotspot-feature-not-working/48537e3d-67b7-41d5-8421-e26a2bdd5476