Windows 10: Is MS forcing me to use Edge?

Discus and support Is MS forcing me to use Edge? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Well that may sound like a bit of paranoia.... I've been using Firefox for many years with very few problems. A few months back some regular websites... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Sam Vimes, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Sam Vimes Win User

Is MS forcing me to use Edge?

Well that may sound like a bit of paranoia....

I've been using Firefox for many years with very few problems. A few months back some regular websites I use didn't work properly but using Chrome on them got me going. So I thought rather than Chrome I'll try Brave for the few times FF doesn't work and that proved to be ok.....for a while.

Now in the last week or so I've got a few regular websites that don't work on FF, Brave or Chrome but do on Edge.

Not sure what's going on but is anyone else seeing this issue? Not sure if it coincided with updating to 2004.

:)

Sam Vimes, Sep 14, 2020

2. Flash player in Windows Phone - MS Edge

Mister Azaruddin,

Did You prove to do your suggestion to enable flash player on MS Edge on Windows phone 10 ?

It seems not.

Regards,

Paulo Ernane

PauloErnane, Sep 14, 2020
  3. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Sep 14, 2020
  4. bevhoward Win User

MS Forcing Edge Install

If you have not already experienced this, get ready for ms' forced install of edge on older win versions.

It is not only disgusting, it's being done in a way to cause user problems and create extra work for those of us who support non technical users.

Today, my wife was was preparing to join a live Zoom session with one of her favorite authors when her 8.1 system forced a system update.

When the update finally finished, the Zoom session had already started but when she started FireFox (which was up to date) it could not connect to the internet. After loosing almost half an hour, she switched to Android and was able to watch the last half
    hour on it's small screen. She called to ask me if I had any suggestions (we were not at the same location) but, after checking her lan, I had no clue either.

Later, when I was able to go to her office, I found FireFox reporting that it had no internet connection. I restarted FireFox and it was able to then connect to the internet, but edge was installed, open and asking to complete it's setup. I closed edge
    and uninstalled it from control panel, but, after uninstalling it, it persisted and asked if I was sure and offered a number of options such as "install later"

On a hunch, I went back to FireFox and checked it's settings and found that ms had also removed FireFox as the default browser on her system.

The ONLY good part of this event is that I am now better prepared to help others who experience the same dirty trick.

This is truly disgusting corporate behavior. It looks like ms is using trump as their role model. Perhaps it's time to finally make the switch to Linux...

...and this opinion comes from a former MS MVP.

Shame!

Beverly Howard

bevhoward, Sep 14, 2020
Thema:

1. Is MS forcing me to use Edge? - Similar Threads - forcing Edge

2. W11 login - forces opening of Edge and Copilot information - how do I stop this?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    W11 login - forces opening of Edge and Copilot information - how do I stop this?: Please help! Since latest installation of w11 when faced with a login screen I cannot get to the password without clicking either "Copilot - learn more" or "Copilot - use" options. Then when I have logged in Edge opens with information about Copilot. It seems to have started...
  3. W11 login - forces opening of Edge and Copilot information - how do I stop this?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    W11 login - forces opening of Edge and Copilot information - how do I stop this?: Please help! Since latest installation of w11 when faced with a login screen I cannot get to the password without clicking either "Copilot - learn more" or "Copilot - use" options. Then when I have logged in Edge opens with information about Copilot. It seems to have started...
  4. Microsoft edge force downloading every update now?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft edge force downloading every update now?: Fhyck you Microsoft. I don't want your phuckin edge updated and shoved back on my laptop you phucking **** leave my god damn pc alone. If I get so low as to want to use your trash @zz edge browser or even think of downloading it, I would unalive myself instead so I'd never...
  5. Microsoft edge force downloading every update now?

Microsoft edge force downloading every update now?: Fhyck you Microsoft. I don't want your phuckin edge updated and shoved back on my laptop you phucking **** leave my god damn pc alone. If I get so low as to want to use your trash @zz edge browser or even think of downloading it, I would unalive myself instead so I'd never...
  6. Microsoft edge force downloading every update now?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Why forcing Edge on users puts many in danger--a different perspective.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why forcing Edge on users puts many in danger--a different perspective.: I wrote this feedback to send to Microsoft, as this has been a concern of mine for a long time, and it affects me deeply. Despite the time I spent on it, the character limit on every mode of correspondence to Microsoft wouldn't allow me to share my thoughts where I was...
  8. Why forcing Edge on users puts many in danger--a different perspective.

Why forcing Edge on users puts many in danger--a different perspective.: I wrote this feedback to send to Microsoft, as this has been a concern of mine for a long time, and it affects me deeply. Despite the time I spent on it, the character limit on every mode of correspondence to Microsoft wouldn't allow me to share my thoughts where I was...
  9. microsoft edge webview runtime forced installation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    microsoft edge webview runtime forced installation: Hello,Beginning last month, my PC keep crashing and rebooting at random times, sometimes it could happen after login while I didn't even move my mouse or launch any application. This could happen after less than 10 minutes or after a couple of hour if I was lucky, but in...
  10. microsoft edge webview runtime forced installation

microsoft edge webview runtime forced installation: Hello,Beginning last month, my PC keep crashing and rebooting at random times, sometimes it could happen after login while I didn't even move my mouse or launch any application. This could happen after less than 10 minutes or after a couple of hour if I was lucky, but in...