Windows 10: Is my graphic card screwed up?

Discus and support Is my graphic card screwed up? in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; hello My PC boots into black screen after windows update asked for restart after trying thing that Iknow like updating drivers, clearing the CMOS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by gremar, Mar 26, 2018.

1. gremar Win User

Is my graphic card screwed up?

hello
    My PC boots into black screen after windows update asked for restart
    after trying thing that Iknow like updating drivers, clearing the CMOS starting in safe mode...
    while in the box i noticed the fans on the graphic card start when i power up the systen and stop after a minute, i plugged the monitor into the DP comes out of the mobo and the pc start but in huge resolution, i just feel Microsoft has screwed up my graphig card
    Is my graphic card gone? any idea how to fix this?
    mobo asus z170 pro gaming
    graphic card MSI nvidi GTX 970

:)

gremar, Mar 26, 2018
  2. JudyK_123 Win User

Will Windows 10 only work on motherboards using DDR3 technology or higher but not on DDR2 boards?

Great....

Just to be safe, I want to update my graphics card to play some of the content in Windows 10 and I want to run some of the software in Windows 10. Will my DDR2 motherboard support graphics cards using GDDR 3, 4, and 5 technology as well? Or should I stick
    to DDR2 cards only? I can find some old cheap cards on Ebay but I want to make sure I'm staying within the correct specs so I don't screw up my motherboard.

Thank you for all the help.

JudyK_123, Mar 26, 2018
  3. graphics card (hdmi no signal error)

I think there is nothing to do with the type of the cable. The problem is probably caused by unstable connection of socket, please try to tighten the screw on each side of the cable with graphic card and monitor.

herbalextract, Mar 26, 2018
  4. simrick Win User

Hi.
    I would grab the latest driver for your MSI card and save it to your desktop.
    Then use DDU to uninstall the graphics driver(s) on your system.
    download ddu

This will require you going into safe mode for the removal.
    Once complete, install your latest driver for your card.
    Note: DDU will also stop Windows Update from installing graphics drivers, so this shouldn't happen in the future.

simrick, Mar 26, 2018
  5. gremar Win User
    Thanks for the reply... I have done more than what you’ve suggested to no vail
    I have backed up my file and reset the windows, and still GPU is not working in a fresh copy of windows, not even detected in device manager.
    I installed it in a different system and was recognized so now is it broken? is that the end of the road?

gremar, Mar 27, 2018
  6. clam1952 Win User
    Bios settings on for dedicated GPU? Advanced > Graphics Configuration > Primary Display > Pcie

clam1952, Mar 27, 2018
  7. simrick Win User
    No, not if it's detected and working properly in another system.
    Clam has a point - it's either your BIOS settings, or your power cable, or your MB slot.

simrick, Mar 27, 2018
  8. gremar Win User

Sorry I wanted to say it is NOT recognised in the other system, therefore I think it is broken. I have set in the BIOS the PCIe as the primary for graphic card. Guys, do you think this one is finished or can I do something else to check?

gremar, Mar 27, 2018
  9. simrick Win User
    Oh, it's NOT recognized in another system - okay, that's not looking good. If it's still under warranty, I would contact the mfg. for additional troubleshooting steps and possible RMA.

simrick, Mar 27, 2018
  10. Cold start your pc and then when the log-in screen shows,select Restart.Once the Restart has finished,check Device manager and see if your card is now recognised.

joeandmarg0, Apr 5, 2018
  11. It sounds like your graphics card is probably ok, but if you have access to a Linux or Ubuntu Live DVD or thumb drive or could create one somehow, you could try booting from one of those and see if you have video to make sure it's not your motherboard or pci slot, I would say you will have video. It's most likely a Windows problem.

mfmathis75, Apr 12, 2018
  12. Sorry, I misread you post, I thought you said it WAS recognized in another system.

mfmathis75, Apr 12, 2018
Thema:

1. Is my graphic card screwed up? - Similar Threads - graphic card screwed

2. Windows 11 Notification Center screws with my graphics card

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Notification Center screws with my graphics card: Since about October 19, 2023, a lot of times when the Notification Center gets invoked, one or both of my external displays goes super saturated/contrasty. Here's a simulation of how it looks:It looks almost exactly like two copies of the monitor image are being added...
  3. Windows 11 Notification Center screws with my graphics card

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Notification Center screws with my graphics card: Since about October 19, 2023, a lot of times when the Notification Center gets invoked, one or both of my external displays goes super saturated/contrasty. Here's a simulation of how it looks:It looks almost exactly like two copies of the monitor image are being added...
  4. graphic card actin up?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    graphic card actin up?: my graphic card is acting up lately, and it been since yesterday, i just wondering is there any work around https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/graphic-card-actin-up/27aabb8a-05c5-4fa0-94bc-7dd5fd1b829f
  5. graphic card actin up?

graphic card actin up?: my graphic card is acting up lately, and it been since yesterday, i just wondering is there any work around https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/graphic-card-actin-up/27aabb8a-05c5-4fa0-94bc-7dd5fd1b829f
  6. graphic card actin up?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    graphic card actin up?: my graphic card is acting up lately, and it been since yesterday, i just wondering is there any work around https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/graphic-card-actin-up/493e8622-73e1-45b3-b265-d9e12098bb2c
  7. graphic card actin up?

graphic card actin up?: my graphic card is acting up lately, and it been since yesterday, i just wondering is there any work around https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/graphic-card-actin-up/493e8622-73e1-45b3-b265-d9e12098bb2c
  8. Graphic card not showing up

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Graphic card not showing up: Purchased a brand new hp laptop but the dedicated graphic card is not showing up and causing heavy frame drop while playing games on it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/graphic-card-not-showing-up/63ee6e19-476a-4e61-993e-42d84ca8239f
  9. Graphic Screw Up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Graphic Screw Up: My laptop has started acting up out of nowhere. All my design softwares like figma, adobe suite etc. starts looking glitchy every few minutes which resets when I zoom in or zoom out and then goes back to it after a while. I've tried restarting my graphics card using the Win...
  10. my Graphic card

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    my Graphic card: does intel hd 630 is the same as nvidia gtx 1050...because I just bought a laptop Lenovo legion intel i7 7th gen and nvidia GeForce gtx 1050 and I saw my gpu was named intel hd 630...are they same...