Windows 10: Is my hard disk slow?

Discus and support Is my hard disk slow? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; my disk is 5400rpm [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-my-hard-disk-slow/c70b5c37-e612-4b0a-80f4-884011969e43" Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by LeeTeck Xian, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Is my hard disk slow?

my disk is 5400rpm

Is my hard disk slow? 4084d3ae-c891-4678-b64c-f6c396b7ddba?upload=true.png

:)

LeeTeck Xian, Jun 30, 2019

2. Hard disk slow transfer speed

Hi Marcus,

Welcome to Microsoft community and thank you for posting your query.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you to fix the issue.

To assist you better, please provide us more information.

• In which drive are you transfer the files?
    • What is the hard drive format that you are using?
    To check the hard drive format, press Windows key + R, type
    diskmgmt.msc and press Enter.

Let’s try simple troubleshooting steps and check if this helps. Follow the below methods.

Method 1.

I recommend you to run hardware troubleshooter to diagnose the exact issue. It will automatically detect the problem and fix it.

• Press Windows + X keys on the keyboard and select Control Panel.

• Type Troubleshooting in the search bar on the Control Panel.

• Click on Small icon on the left navigation pane.

• Click on Troubleshooting and click on
      Hardware and Device.

• Click on Advanced on the Hardware troubleshooter dialog box and click on Run as administrator (Enter the credentials if required).

• Click on Next and follow onscreen instruction complete the Hardware troubleshooter.
    If the issue is still same, try the below method.

Method 2.

I suggest you to connect the external hard drive to the system and run check disk to see if there are any corruptions. Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows key + X, click Command Prompt (Admin).
    • In the Command Prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

chkdsk /f

Disclaimer: While performing check disk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found then check disk will try to repair that sector. Any data available on a bad sector might be lost.

Once Check Disk completes, boot the computer and then check.

Hope it helps. Keep posting us with the status we will be glad to help you.

Billion Debbarma, Jun 30, 2019
  3. External Hard disk contents are not visible.

Hi Pranoti,

For us to narrow down your concern with your external hard disk, we would like to know the following:

• Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue (e.g., updates, software installation)?
    • To make sure that we have not missed on anything, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Do you hear any clicking sound when connecting your hard disk?

In the meantime, we suggest that you update all your device driver.

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Jun 30, 2019
  4. Naresh_K Win User

Is my hard disk slow?

Hard disk partition not showing up.

Hi Muhammad,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

This can happen if the Hard-disk drivers are not up-to date. I would suggest you to update the hard disk drivers first. To update the drivers, please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Open Device manager.
    2. Then Expand “Disk drives”.
    3. Then Right click on the Hard-disk listed under this category.
    4. Then click on Update drivers.
    5. Alternatively you can also try to update the drivers from manufacturer’s website.

Once the hard-disk drivers are updated, you will need to allocate the last partition (it is not allocated according to the screenshot) and you will be able to view the partition.

Also note that sometimes the hard disk partitions/drives might be hidden in This PC or My Computer window due to a Registry key. If a DWORD with the name NoViewOnDrive or NoDrives is present under following key in Registry Editor:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Policies\Explorer

Delete the DWORD and your drives will become visible in My Computer window.

Hope this helps.

Naresh_K, Jun 30, 2019
Thema:

Is my hard disk slow?

1. Is my hard disk slow? - Similar Threads - hard disk slow

2. My external USB hard disk drive is very slow on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My external USB hard disk drive is very slow on Windows 11: When I connect my external HardDisk to my Dell Laptop with Windows 11 Os installed, I see following event. And I see my external USB hard disk drive is very slow for any operation. Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP/Configuration Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP Date:...
  3. My Hard disk so slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Hard disk so slow: I so today I did a reading test on my hard disk and the result is not so goodthe reading is 81.35 and the writing is 64.97I want to know what is the problem so please tell meI don't want to get bullied from my friend that said your laptop is so bad.Thank you!...
  4. My Hard disk so slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My Hard disk so slow: I so today I did a reading test on my hard disk and the result is not so goodthe reading is 81.35 and the writing is 64.97I want to know what is the problem so please tell meI don't want to get bullied from my friend that said your laptop is so bad.Thank you!...
  5. My Hard disk so slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. Is my hard disk bootable?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is my hard disk bootable?: Hello I wanted to set up my computer again and have made my hard disk bootable via the Mediacreationtool at least it should be bootable but I can not boot from the hard disk I have a relatively old pc and therefore an old Bios and find the hard disk not I can insert a few...
  7. My Hard Disk Crashed !

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My Hard Disk Crashed !: My Hard Disk has Crashed so if i replace hard disk, would i be able to use the same keys of windows 10 & office which i was using earliear ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-hard-disk-crashed/4fea347e-e1c4-4932-aeef-a83d8cb5031a
  8. Recovering my hard disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recovering my hard disk: When creating a USB windows install disk, I confuse my hard disk to mu USB stick and I lost all my data. I have already used Womdersahe recoverit, and easus data recovery. Each has performed recovery, but no file is openable. Can someone help me please?...
  9. Windows 10 Pro hard disks slow access

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Pro hard disks slow access: Hello, a couple of weeks ago I moved from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 Pro (currently version 1809). I have 5 hard disks and windows 10 Pro is doing what Vista 64 bit was doing in that far time I had it. First When I turn off Windows, the machine, the case, the...
  10. Is my Hard disk is usable

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is my Hard disk is usable: My hard disk recently got corrupted either because of virus/hard disk failure and I had to take the help of professional for recovering my data (luckily I had back up of my system image) but hard disk was not getting detected even in macrium. I have now formatted my hard disk...