Windows 10: Is my hard drive dead?

Discus and support Is my hard drive dead? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Context: my computer is 12 years old and just recently when force shutting it down after it crashing from opening a program while making weird beeping... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Technical_Issues, Dec 12, 2020.

1. Is my hard drive dead?

Context: my computer is 12 years old and just recently when force shutting it down after it crashing from opening a program while making weird beeping noises whenever I press any keyboard input or click my mouse. When booted up, it seemed to be stuck on a black screen so I force shut down. It seemed to be stuck again, so I force shut it down. On the third try, I get a message saying "Media Test Failure Check Cable. Press any key to continue" I wasn't able to get the error code as I accidentally pressed a key. It then proceeded to give me the same message, I accidentally press a key again, and then it runs into a blue screen of death. The current status is it's stuck on 0% and I'm going to force reset it.

:)

Technical_Issues, Dec 12, 2020

2. Overclock your hard drive!!!

Heres a much easier hack that I realized quite a few years ago that really does work!

REQUIREMENTS:
    • Hard drive with molex power connection.
    • PSU with more than 1 strand that has molex plugs on it.
    • Wire strippers, soldering iron if you're fancy, electrical tape if you're not.
    STEPS:
    • Take the strand of connectors from your PSU, and decide which one will be the donator for this overclocking adventure.
    • Cut the yellow and orange cables, then twist them together.
    • Find the power connector you've chosen as the overclocking connector, and release the orange cable from the connector. Now use your preferred method to bind them together, then place it back together.
    • Plug in a drive and feel the speed!
    Congratulations! You've just overclocked your hard drive!

Sir B. Fannybottom, Dec 12, 2020
  3. Is hard drive dead

I have a Seagate NAS drive. It was accessible over the network but no longer.

I've taken the hard drive out and bought an sata to USB3.0 drive

I connect the hard drive to my PC, and boot up. It's not showing in File Explorer.

A Google suggests going to disk manager and assigning a drive letter. I've done this. Disk Manager just shows "no media" and the hard drive does not show in File Explorer.

What do I need to do to show the content of the hard drive in Windows or does this suggest the hard drive file contents can't be obtained?

MyDaftQuestions, Dec 12, 2020
  4. Is my hard drive dead?

little cat, Dec 12, 2020
Thema:

Is my hard drive dead?

1. Is my hard drive dead? - Similar Threads - hard drive dead

2. Trying to revive a possibly dead hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Trying to revive a possibly dead hard drive: Hi everyone. I had a Seagate external HDD attached to my server for a couple of years and it recently stopped being recognised by the server. Plugging it into my windows machine doesn't make it show up in drive manager or explorer, though the disks still spin up when...
  3. Dead hard drive with activated windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dead hard drive with activated windows: Recently, my hard drive died with windows 10 home installed on it. I do not have the key for it however, because it was a laptop that included a copy of windows 10. I was wondering if there was any way that i would be able to install it on the new hard drive, which is taking...
  4. Dead Hard Drive. Is it a Virus?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dead Hard Drive. Is it a Virus?: I was having trouble with my laptop which I could not sort out. I decided to take out my hard drive and check it on another laptop using a sata/usb lead. I could not read the drive as it asked me if I wanted to format it. Where has my data gone and is the drive dead and could...
  5. Is my hard drive dead, I wonder?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Is my hard drive dead, I wonder?: I used my computer late Tuesday night and went to bed. The next morning my computer screen said, and still says, Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key." I went to the Microsoft site and downloaded a recover drive....
  6. My external hard disk is dead

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My external hard disk is dead: My external hard disk which I use for backups stopped working. The day before its actual death Windows kept bringing up the usual notification about what to do with a newly connected device. Note that I had this external disk continuously connected to my laptop. The next day...
  7. Windows boot issue - dead hard drive?

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows boot issue - dead hard drive?: Hi all - was given a laptop by a friend to take a look at. Pretty sure the culprit is a dying hard drive, but wanted a second opinion. Laptop fails to boot and she was getting constant 'Startup Repair' errors in Windows 10 on attempted bootup. Now, however, when I try and...
  8. Dead Hard Drive Installing New One

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Dead Hard Drive Installing New One: I have the product key from the old hard drive but won't let me use it on the new install. Also, it wouldn't let me get past I don't have a product key page....
  9. Recover windows from dead hard drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Recover windows from dead hard drive: Hello there, I have a Huawei Matebook x whose hard drive is dead and won't boot. Nor am I able to get into the recovery for reset. I know I will have to replace the ssd and do a fresh windows install. I don't have a recovery disc or usb either. I was wondering if 1) there...
  10. replace dead hard drive for laptop

in Windows 10 Support
    replace dead hard drive for laptop: Here is the situation My wife has a Toshiba laptop that crashed, the hard drive is done. I have done everything that I have been able to looking at tutorials etc to revive it, its dead jim. I even tried to wipe the hard drive and it would have none of it. My Toshiba laptop...