Windows 10: Is my laptop powerful enough

Discus and support Is my laptop powerful enough in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi I'm currently the proud owner of a 7-year-old (yes, really) Dell Latitude D830 laptop which has 4Gb of memory. Off the top of my head I can't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ianbhenderson73, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Is my laptop powerful enough

Hi

I'm currently the proud owner of a 7-year-old (yes, really) Dell Latitude D830 laptop which has 4Gb of memory. Off the top of my head I can't remember the processor speed. It also has a 72Gb hard drive.

At the moment I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate edition and am considering a move to Windows 10 (probably pro edition) 32-bit. My question is this though: whilst everything I've read suggests that the 32-bit version will run happily on 1Gb of memory, I'm sure I read similar when Windows Vista was released (which as we know turned out to be untrue).

So, will my 4Gb of memory be enough? Come to that, will my 72Gb of hard drive be enough? I'm happy to increase the capacity of the hard drive if required but I don't have any option to do the same with the memory since it's at the maximum the board can support.

Any comments or suggestions, gratefully received.

TIA

:)

ianbhenderson73, Jan 10, 2016

2. Ovi Suite isnt powerful enough - Alternatives?

you can also use Windows Media Player to sync media including photos , but I find simply dragging and dropping easier and quicker !

carman58---01, Jan 10, 2016
  3. toddingh Win User
    Ovi Suite isnt powerful enough - Alternatives?

Man, I was surprised to hear how disappointed many of you are with Ovi Suite. I agree it isn't perfect but it works and, for me, generally well. I have no problems syncing with Outlook, photos, videos, notes etc. I suggest those who find problems do some
    checking on your settings becuase it can work fine. I'm always looking for alternatives that may improve my experience. I do not really like the SMS part of Ovi Suite and would like a better more cell phone like version.

toddingh, Jan 10, 2016
  4. lx07 Win User

Is my laptop powerful enough

Yes it will be fine. I'm running 10 Pro x64 on 2006 Core2Duo with 3GB RAM and it works fine. Some say 10 is faster than 7 but I can't say I've noticed either way (except booting is quicker).

32 bit uses (about 1GB) less disk space than 64 bit but either will use less space than a fully updated Windows 7. Just make sure you have enough space for the upgrade (about 20GB free) and then run disk cleanup after (unless you are doing a clean install).

5. 4GBs is ample to run the operating system.
    I installed Windows 10 on an old Acer netbook with just 1GB of DIMM RAM and the thing ticks over OK!

teachermark, Jan 10, 2016
  6. cereberus Win User
    I would be inclined to stay with 32bit as an older pc with only 4GB of RAM.

More importantly, I would replace hdd as it is old and probably does not have a lot of life left, and is quite small by moderrn standards. You will get a nice boost installing say a 256 or even 500 GB ssd.

cereberus, Jan 10, 2016
  7. This sounds good to me. As I said in the original post, I'm happy to upgrade the hard-drive if necessary (possibly with a PCMCIA SSD if that's available). I'll be doing it as a clean install anyway - my Windows 7 installation isn't quite as legit as it should be.

ianbhenderson73, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Is my laptop powerful enough

1. Is my laptop powerful enough - Similar Threads - laptop powerful enough

2. My laptop doesn't show enough RAM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop doesn't show enough RAM: My laptop has 4gb ram but Photoshop is showing 2gb ram and it is working slowly. Can anyone tell me the solution? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-doesnt-show-enough-ram/f17322dc-1048-4552-bc9d-43cfc1ff5f67
  3. My laptop doesn't show enough RAM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My laptop doesn't show enough RAM: My laptop has 4gb ram but Photoshop is showing 2gb ram and it is working slowly. Can anyone tell me the solution? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-doesnt-show-enough-ram/f17322dc-1048-4552-bc9d-43cfc1ff5f67
  4. laptop screen not bright enough

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    laptop screen not bright enough: laptop screen not bright enough https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-screen-not-bright-enough/18eab35b-68fb-44e2-9166-8d315a9de937
  5. USB ports not providing enough power

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB ports not providing enough power: I got ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming - ITX/acIntel i5 9600K 6x CPU @ 3.70 GHz UHD Graphics 630 Coffee Lake No HyperThreadI connect Bosch mini to charge it.On Linux there is no problem charging it.On Windows It won't charge.Is there some power setting in the USB driver?...
  6. Is the power supply enough (crash)?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Is the power supply enough (crash)?: My pc crashed often under heavy load and I wonder if it is because of the power supply (no error message was shown) Have a 500w power supply GPU: RTX 2070 super KFA2 CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 Motherboard: b450 tomahawk max Ram: 16gb gskill aegis 3200mhz And another m.2...
  7. How to check if laptop is receiving enough power?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to check if laptop is receiving enough power?: I have an old 64-bit Gateway laptop that im tinkering with and was wondering if theres software I could use to check power input. I had to solder on a new power jack and the laptop shuts off when playing games and even starting a stress test. I'm eliminating factors such as...
  8. Is Windows Defender enough for a laptop?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is Windows Defender enough for a laptop?: Hello, I was wondering if WD is enough and downloading a new antivirus program is unnecessary action. What is your opinion? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/is-windows-defender-enough-for-a-laptop/304cc8f7-6e50-4329-bd0e-0891f0ce01fb
  9. Not enough space to my NEW laptop 32gb

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Not enough space to my NEW laptop 32gb: Dear Microsoft, previous month I bought a THOMSON laptop with 32gb storage and PRE-NSTALLED WINDOWS!! I turn on the laptop and..... the actual size of the disk is 28 GB and.... cause the software it was to 7,5 GB FREE at the end!!!!!! From 32 to 7,5GB.... NICE..... Now,...
  10. Could my outlet not generate enough power?

in Windows 10 Support
    Could my outlet not generate enough power?: Hello, I need help on a lot of basic levels here. I am by no means an electrician and while I know the theory I have no idea where to begin. My pc works 100% perfect except on the first cold boot of the day. When I turn on my pc, there's a 50% chance that my GPU won't...