Windows 10: Is my license retail or OEM

Discus and support Is my license retail or OEM in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello I bought a refurbished windows 7 pro PC and later upgraded it to 10. I am now switching to a new home-built PC and the question is: Can I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Tomasz F'Érrie, Dec 5, 2022.

1. Is my license retail or OEM

Hello I bought a refurbished windows 7 pro PC and later upgraded it to 10. I am now switching to a new home-built PC and the question is: Can I transfer my license?In the settings, it says "windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account. using the slmgr -dli and slmgr -dlv commands I got Retail license. I read somewhere however that some changes to the ID system have rendered these commands unreliable when it comes to determining the license channel. Is this true?Thanks for the answers

:)

Tomasz F'Érrie, Dec 5, 2022

2. Remove OEM license and replace by Retail license

I want to remove OEM license and replace by retail license. The reason is I'm a vendor who sells `Computer Desktop` and `Laptop` to customer. Those Computer Desktops and Laptops have OEM license but my customer just want retail license only for financial reason. So I need to remove OEM license then replace new retail license to Those devices. I tried to change license in menu "Change Product Key" but after changed I tried to check license by using "ShowKeyPlus" app in Microsoft store. it still show me OEM license and have no Retail license which I've just entered it.

How can I remove OEM license and replace by Retail license in Windows 11?

Nutthapong Vivithsurakarn, Dec 5, 2022
  3. Oem and retail license

How to understand oem and retail license at the time of purchase through online.

SomMajumder, Dec 5, 2022
  4. Is my license retail or OEM

Oem and retail license

Full version (Retail):

- Includes transfer rights to another computer.

- Doesn't require a previous qualifying version of Windows.

- Expensive

OEM :

OEM versions of Windows are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

What happens if I change my motherboard?

As it pertains to the OEM license this will invalidate the Windows 10 upgrade license because it will no longer have a previous base qualifying license which is required for the free upgrade. You will then have to purchase a full retail Windows 10 license.
    If the base qualifying license (Windows 7 or Windows 8.1) was a full retail version, then yes, you can transfer it.

From the Windows 10 end user license agreement:

b. Stand-alone software. If you acquired the software as stand-alone software (and also if you upgraded from software you acquired as stand-alone software), you may transfer the software to another device that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software
    to a device owned by someone else if (i) you are the first licensed user of the software and (ii) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came on to transfer the software.
    Every time you transfer the software to a new device, you must remove the software from the prior device. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between devices.

Andre for Directly, Dec 5, 2022
Thema:

Is my license retail or OEM

1. Is my license retail or OEM - Similar Threads - license retail OEM

2. Is the license sold in the following link OEM or retail?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is the license sold in the following link OEM or retail?: I intend on replacing my rig at least every two years. Will I be able to transfer this license indefinitely? When the next Windows comes out, will I be entitled to an upgrade with this license?Link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/d/windows-11-home/dg7gmgf0krt0/000P?rtc=1...
  3. Is the license sold in the following link OEM or retail?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is the license sold in the following link OEM or retail?: I intend on replacing my rig at least every two years. Will I be able to transfer this license indefinitely? When the next Windows comes out, will I be entitled to an upgrade with this license?Link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/d/windows-11-home/dg7gmgf0krt0/000P?rtc=1...
  4. Is my license retail or OEM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is my license retail or OEM: Hello I bought a refurbished windows 7 pro PC and later upgraded it to 10. I am now switching to a new home-built PC and the question is: Can I transfer my license?In the settings, it says "windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account. using...
  5. Is my license retail or OEM

Is my license retail or OEM: Hello I bought a refurbished windows 7 pro PC and later upgraded it to 10. I am now switching to a new home-built PC and the question is: Can I transfer my license?In the settings, it says "windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account. using...
  6. Remove OEM license and replace by Retail license

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove OEM license and replace by Retail license: I want to remove OEM license and replace by retail license. The reason is I'm a vendor who sells `Computer Desktop` and `Laptop` to customer. Those Computer Desktops and Laptops have OEM license but my customer just want retail license only for financial reason. So I need to...
  7. Remove OEM license and replace by Retail license

Remove OEM license and replace by Retail license: I want to remove OEM license and replace by retail license. The reason is I'm a vendor who sells `Computer Desktop` and `Laptop` to customer. Those Computer Desktops and Laptops have OEM license but my customer just want retail license only for financial reason. So I need to...
  8. My license changed from RETAIL to OEM

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    My license changed from RETAIL to OEM: Hi! I have had my acer laptop for several years now. It was with Win 8 system, but I upgraded it for free to Win 10. I recently bought a new laptop, so I wanted to know whether I can move my Windows license. To do this I checked type of license on acer slmgr -dli and it was...
  9. Microsoft store OEM license or Retail license

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Microsoft store OEM license or Retail license: Is the Windows 10 USB product on the microsoft store an OEM license or a Retail license? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-store-oem-license-or-retail-license/46f89348-83e1-42ae-9596-da45958257ca
  10. Windows 10 retail versus OEM license

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 retail versus OEM license: In answers to the question that often comes up regarding OEM licenses purchased via third-party websites (Amazon, eBay, etc), it is frequently noted that the OEM version of Windows is identical to the retail version (with some limitations on support and license transfer). In...