Windows 10: Is my sound card/sound chipetc. fried?

Discus and support Is my sound card/sound chipetc. fried? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I do not know if this is the right website/forum to post this question. I don't really know where else I would ask. I have a laptop that has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Murrin26, Mar 19, 2021.

1. Murrin26 Win User

Is my sound card/sound chipetc. fried?

Hi,

I do not know if this is the right website/forum to post this question. I don't really know where else I would ask.

I have a laptop that has windows 10 on it. The laptop is about 6 months old. It is a good quality laptop with some good hardware including an i7 processor and 16GB of RAM and a dedicated graphics card with 6GB memory.

I had a set of computer speakers, the kind where you have 3 speakers in total: 2 regular/small speakers, and 1 subwoofer. In short, the small speakers went bad, but the subwoofer was still good, so I was trying to get a new speaker setup going. During that, I got a stereo audio cable male-to-male, 1/8" audio jacks and used it to connect the subwoofer directly into the audio jack on the laptop. I read the warning, which said something like, "Warning, only plug into the satellite. Damage can occur if misused" or something like that. I believed they were telling me that damage could happen **to the subwoofer** if misused or plugged into the wrong place. And the speaker set was about to go to the trash anyway, so I figured if I messed up the subwoofer, it wouldn't matter. They didn't tell me that the *subwoofer* would be causing damage to the other device probably by running too much power into the sound card or something I don't know.

Anyway, did I burn up the sound card or sound chip on my laptop? Laptops don't have actual "sound card"s, right? Is it built into the motherboard or something?

Edit: I forgot to say the symptoms of what's going on. I'll update my post.

When there are no headphones or other speakers plugged in, and I play a song on the computer, and then I turn the volume on for the built-in laptop speakers, no sound comes out. There is no sound. And then, when I plug in headphones and turn the volume up and put it in my ear, the headphones are making a constant high-pitched buzzing noise which sometimes starts slowly/gradually raising in pitch. If I plug in external speakers into the computer, and turn the sound on, the external speakers make a high-pitched buzzing noise just like when I plug in headphones.

------------

tags: speaker plug outlet audio jack audio input setup system sound hardware

:)

Murrin26, Mar 19, 2021
  2. steele84 Win User

Sound Cards

Is there a verified sound cards list yet ?

Thanks

steele84, Mar 19, 2021
  3. fireberd Win User
    Sound Quality

One thing that sticks out from looking at your "My Computer" specs. You list "ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)" which suggests you do not have the correct sound hardware driver. Your motherboard has Realtek sound and the first step is to install the Realtek sound drivers. My ASUS also came with Sonic Studio 2 which is a sound enhancement package. Check the ASUS install disc to see if you have something similar.

May not be a speaker problem.

fireberd, Mar 19, 2021
  4. cadaveca Win User

Good surround sound headset

I know you say you're not that guy, but stepping into the $250+ range really brings a change in build quality that might have you never having to buy another set. Otherwise, getting 6 speakers with decent sound in a headset is hard, and that's what you are asking for, and I have no suggestions, but just a bump up the list. *Stick Out Tongue Is my sound card/sound chipetc. fried? :p

cadaveca, Mar 19, 2021
Thema:

1. Is my sound card/sound chipetc. fried? - Similar Threads - sound card sound

2. Sound Card

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sound Card: I am not receiving any audio. I tried going through the sound settings including the troubleshooter. Still nothing.Any suggestions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sound-card/393102a9-a73a-406c-9725-252213c5edfa
  3. Sound Card

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sound Card: I am not receiving any audio. I tried going through the sound settings including the troubleshooter. Still nothing.Any suggestions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sound-card/393102a9-a73a-406c-9725-252213c5edfa
  4. Sound Card

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. sound card

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    sound card: Because of recent updates by Microsoft, my soundblaster compatible sound no longer works. What is the reason and what is the fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sound-card/d2ad0a8e-fd0e-4931-af94-5c46e325642e
  6. Sound Card

Sound Card: I added a Creative Sound Blaster card to my windows 10 computer. But it doesn't work right. Creative supplies an app that lets you click on a speaker to test if it's working. I have a 5.1 speaker system. When I click on the Right Front or Right Rear I get appropriate sounds...
  7. Sound Cards

Sound Cards: Hi! I have an old dell laptop. Is it possible to download ASIO sound card to my laptop? or is there any external sound card or drivers? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sound-cards/3e8a3888-f755-4f2d-a26e-c1e15f59f37d
  8. Sound Card

Sound Card: Hello, I recently upgraded from windows xp to windows 10 and my sound doesnt work. Then I later found out that my sound card doesn’t support windows 10, I looked online for new ones but I couldn’t find any that supported windows 10. What should I do?...
  9. Sound Card

Sound Card: HI, I have a Razer blade 2019. I am connecting my dj controller that has a built in sound card, windows recognize it and I can use it with the Serato software, but the line in volume meter do not pick up the sound coming from it and I can not use it with OBS. I can hear the...
  10. Sound Cards

Sound Cards: Is there a verified sound cards list yet ? Thanks 2414

Users found this page by searching for:

1. sound card fried