Windows 10: Is my SSD bad?

Discus and support Is my SSD bad? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; 2.5" SATA 1TB Samsung 860 evo. I originally bought it for a laptop ~6 months ago. Laptop experienced a hardware failure (either bad SATA controller or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by MR Easy Guns, May 1, 2019.

1. Is my SSD bad?

2.5" SATA 1TB Samsung 860 evo. I originally bought it for a laptop ~6 months ago. Laptop experienced a hardware failure (either bad SATA controller or bad connectors from drive bays to controller I believe - can give more info on the symptoms of that failure if you think its relavent) I've since replaced the laptop and installed the SSD in my son's desktop. The problem now is, whenever his desktop experiences a loss of power (power outage or hard shut down to change a HW component, etc) the SSD will fail to boot after powering back up, has happened twice now. I can recover all of the data from another PC, but the partitions are recognized by disk part as "raw". I can boot in to the recovery environment from the drive but all recovery options fail. So far recovering data manually and then using the "clean" function in disk part and then starting over with a clean install has been my only available course of action. After that, the drive works perfectly and has no issue with normal W10 shut down and start up, and restart actions. It is only a total loss of power.

Is this SSD toast? Did the laptop failure damage the drive? Or maybe conversely could a bad SSD cause a HW failure in the laptop?

I ordered a GPU upgrade for my son but I wont be home to help him install it. This will be his first time making a upgrade on his own(11 yo) and I'm worried he'll run in to a huge problem if the SSD wont boot when he's finished. I'm also out of town working now, so troubleshooting the drive directly isnt possible until this weekend (I know, not ideal to be posting without active access to the HW)

Any thoughts or speculations would be appreciated.

:)

MR Easy Guns, May 1, 2019
  2. xlook Win User

Is an SSD Drive Bad for Gaming?

Is it true that an SSD for gaming is a bad idea? I was told that constantly downloading games to it can wear down and shorten its life. It was then suggested that I buy a mechanical HD instead.

What do you guys think of this?

xlook, May 1, 2019
  3. Kursah Win User
    SSD Crucial Bx 100 - rattling/vibrating. Possible?

This has been suggested several times already, and it has been suggested you try to move the SSD, remove it, or even suspend it in your case. Will you please try one of these?

If you don't understand vibration and resonance, please refer to @dorsetknob 's post above. *Smile Is my SSD bad? :) It has been explained that something else moving/vibrating (even if you don't think they're vibrating they are...), fans, hard disk drives, and anything with a motor will cause some form of vibration at certain frequencies. This can be transfered through your case's chassis and where you mounted your SSD could be reaching a certain frequency that causes it to slightly move and rattle against the case.

We are suggesting you take action and report back..you keep asking questions from step 1...we should be on step 4 by now...that is solution.

Try what has been suggested and report back please. Otherwise all you're doing is leading this thread in an endless circle and the help will stop shortly thereafter.

*Toast :toast:

Kursah, May 1, 2019
  4. Bradner Win User

Is my SSD bad?

SSD Bad sectors cause freeze!

Hallo guys. These days I realised that my ssd(windows) drive has some bad sectors. I run macrorit disk checker and found some errors, I will leave a log.
    Can anyone tell me if i need to replace my ssd? It's a 6 year old ocz agility 3.
    Any solutions/suggestions are welcome! scan_log.txt

Bradner, May 1, 2019
Thema:

Is my SSD bad?

1. Is my SSD bad? - Similar Threads - SSD bad

2. If defragmentation in SSD is a bad idea, then why does Windows 10 say your drive needs...

in Windows 10 Customization
    If defragmentation in SSD is a bad idea, then why does Windows 10 say your drive needs...: confused https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/if-defragmentation-in-ssd-is-a-bad-idea-then-why/275a24da-f3dc-4267-ae75-2afa91810bd3
  3. Will my SSD automatically remap/avoid a PHYSICAL bad sector?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Will my SSD automatically remap/avoid a PHYSICAL bad sector?: Windows 10 20H2 19042.844, Crucial P1 500GB NVME (512MB DRAM cache) I finally tracked down the cause of my BSODs to a bad block, according to event viewer: "The device, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block" (event ID 7). I have also run the Victoria surface test, which...
  4. SSD full, bad sys config info, any last hope?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SSD full, bad sys config info, any last hope?: Hello, I have a computer that is running windows 10, a 250GB SSD and two 2 TB HD raid set up. The main user on the system had all systems, downloads, games going to the 250GB SSD instead of the 2TB storage. It ended up filling up totally, and now the blue screen of death...
  5. Bad blocks on Surface Pro 6 1TB SSD followed BSODs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bad blocks on Surface Pro 6 1TB SSD followed BSODs: I need help with diagnostics of Surface Pro 6 i7, 1Tb SSD and BSOD issues warranty has expired half year ago. I experience random BSODs almost every day, often 2-3 times in a day. All available drivers and firmware updates are in place, I am running latest Windows version...
  6. SSD + bad HDD?

SSD + bad HDD?: My hdd currently has 16 bad sectors and disk usage is always throttled to 100%. would performance increase if i install os in a ssd and use hdd alongside with it? will my hdd cause any performance issue? submitted by /u/Anindo9416 [link] [comments]...
  7. SSD about to crash SMART status bad

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    SSD about to crash SMART status bad: My ssd is going to crash soon according to everything online and i am wondering if my old HDD I still have in my pc will still have windows on it. When i got this ssd all the games on the hdd wouldn't start and i had to redownload them. I am hoping once the ssd dies out and i...
  8. SSD may be Bad

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD may be Bad: every time I boot to windows I get a recovey post but if I restart again it will boot into windows is there software i can check the disk with it ia a Samsung HDD 155872
  9. Bad Sectors on HDD and SSD: Introduction and Repairing

in Windows 10 News
    Bad Sectors on HDD and SSD: Introduction and Repairing: [ATTACH]Before understanding Bad Sectors and how to repair bad sectors, you should know about sectors and what they do. This post explains sectors, bad sectors, […] This article Bad Sectors on HDD and SSD: Introduction and Repairing first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com....
  10. Bad System Config - RAM & SSD Install

Bad System Config - RAM & SSD Install: What I thought would be a couple of easy system upgrades have turned into a nightmare. I attempted to install a couple of new sticks of RAM (2x8GB) as well as a new SSD into a 5 year old desktop computer. I (stupidly) switched around the SATA wires between the ODD, HDD and...