Windows 10: Is my system safe from some potentially infected USB devices?

Discus and support Is my system safe from some potentially infected USB devices? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I'm using Windows 10 Home with McAfee Live Safe anti virus, on a new HP laptop. I recently had trouble with another machine and bought the laptop as a... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by ShadowLad, Nov 9, 2020.

1. ShadowLad Win User

Is my system safe from some potentially infected USB devices?

I'm using Windows 10 Home with McAfee Live Safe anti virus, on a new HP laptop. I recently had trouble with another machine and bought the laptop as a back up. I have some USB external drives with backed up data, and I plugged them into the laptop not thinking that there could be some sort of auto run on them. One looks OK and I can see there are files/folders on it, but the other does not come up as a volume, and the only option is eject in the Windows UI. It did start making a sound when plugged in, so it seems suspicious. Will my virus checker which was running, protect my laptop from these potential threats? Is there a way I could scan the suspicious drive, or could it be too late, and maybe just reset the laptop (again) to be safe?

:)

ShadowLad, Nov 9, 2020

2. USB Devices Inconsistent Recognition in Laptop Upgraded to Windows 10

Hi Robert,

To correct your issue with connecting USB devices, we suggest you to perform the steps below on running a
    System File Checker for this will fix .dll files which are associated with drivers:

• Right-click the Start button, then select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Enter sfc /scannow (note the space between "sfc" and "/").

It is also recommended for you to make sure that the USB devices are removed properly from the system by clicking on safely remove USB device option.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Angela Pun, Nov 9, 2020
  3. Bree Win User
    clean possibly infected flash drives and CD-RWs

Your steps in post #1 should work for 99% of viruses that may be on a usb flash drive. However, there are a very few viruses that can infect the MBR of a drive. I would use Diskpart from a command prompt (Admin) to clean them. In the command prompt type DISKPART then, at the Diskpart prompt use the commands:

LIST DISKnote the disk number of the usb and use it in place of # in the command:SELECT DISK #
    CLEAN
    CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY

After this you will have cleaned the partition table from the usb and created a partition using the whole of the the available space. You can then format this partition in File Explorer.

For a CD-RW, if you right-click on it in File Explorer there is an Erase option.

Bree, Nov 9, 2020
  4. Is my system safe from some potentially infected USB devices?

USB device not recognized spam

Hi Kyle,

You may receive this error if one of your USB connected devices is not properly recognized by the system. Let's try the troubleshooting steps provided by
    Krishna Prasobh V on this
    thread

In addition, we suggest that you turn off the notifications from the USB by following these steps:

• Open Settings by typing "settings" in Cortana's search box.
    • Click on Devices.
    • Locate USB and toggle the switch to Off.
    Keep us updated with the status of your concern and we'll be glad to assist you further.

Katrina Men, Nov 9, 2020
Thema:

Is my system safe from some potentially infected USB devices?

1. Is my system safe from some potentially infected USB devices? - Similar Threads - system safe potentially

2. Malware potentially spreading from infected Android Phone to PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Malware potentially spreading from infected Android Phone to PC: Hello! I apologize if this question and resulting answer are redundant; I have done my research and haven't quite found specific information that directly applies to my case, so I was hoping I could get a direct answer for my personal experience.So, I was a dummy, and fell...
  3. Malware potentially spreading from infected Android Phone to PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Malware potentially spreading from infected Android Phone to PC: Hello! I apologize if this question and resulting answer are redundant; I have done my research and haven't quite found specific information that directly applies to my case, so I was hoping I could get a direct answer for my personal experience.So, I was a dummy, and fell...
  4. Safely scanning potentially infected drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Safely scanning potentially infected drive: Hello, I have recently got a terrible malware on my pc that forced me to ditch my hard drive, while I was taking out my hard drive out of my pc my pc is prebuilt which was the first time I had done that I found some random 1tb ssd. I wish to use this drive but I am worried...
  5. Safely scanning potentially infected drive

Safely scanning potentially infected drive: Hello, I have recently got a terrible malware on my pc that forced me to ditch my hard drive, while I was taking out my hard drive out of my pc my pc is prebuilt which was the first time I had done that I found some random 1tb ssd. I wish to use this drive but I am worried...
  6. My system is infected

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    My system is infected: A. UserReplied on April 27, 2020ReplyIn reply to Reza Ameri's post on April 15, 2020My device was hijacked using WMI Window Management Instrumentation. An attacker controls everything using VBS scripts.I have never been connected to any work network.I connected to the...
  7. Windows Update with potentially infected devices

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Update with potentially infected devices: If there is a potential infection on a device is it dangerous to download the latest windows update, as I'm concerned it may have the potential to spread an infection to another device by using files from other devices through delivery optimisation?...
  8. Windows Update with potentially infected devices

Windows Update with potentially infected devices: If there is a potential infection on a device is it dangerous to download the latest windows update, as I'm concerned it may have the potential to spread an infection to another device by using files from other devices through delivery optimisation?...
  9. Windows Update with potentially infected devices

10. My System is infected

My System is infected: So my old pc was ratted so I factory rest it 2-3 times and ran malware bytes and it still seems to be ratted is there anything I can do to make sure that its 100% off? [Original Title: ratting]...