Windows 10: Is my user password protected, and what does it protect against?

Discus and support Is my user password protected, and what does it protect against? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hello everyone I can't figure out, if my Windows user is really password protected. I am using Microsoft Windows 10 Home I have only 1 local user /... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by EmilDK, Apr 6, 2021.

1. EmilDK Win User

Is my user password protected, and what does it protect against?

Hello everyone

I can't figure out, if my Windows user is really password protected.

I am using Microsoft Windows 10 Home
    I have only 1 local user / admin

If I shutdown PC, and turn on again, I don't have to enter password
    If I restart PC, I don't have to enter password

If I Windows key + L / log off, I see my Windows user and have to enter password

In Optins - Setting for logon - Password
    When I press change, it shows my user profile and asks for Current password

1)
    Is my Windows user password protected?
    2)
    Having a password protected Windows user, does is protect against other devices / hackers on the network from getting access to my system / files?
    3)
    Having a password protected Windows user, does is protect against other devices / hackers through the internet from getting access to my system / files?

Thanks in advance for replying

Best regards

:)

EmilDK, Apr 6, 2021
  2. Laurijan Win User

Password protected Harddisk

Hi!

According to ATA specifications every ATA harddisk (PATA,SATA) must have the possibility be protected by a password - the bios must be compatible but most new ones are.
    A nice progam HD-X Lock makes it possible to install passwords to ones harddisks so that ever time the PC is shut down and is started again a usb-stick or CD-Rom or floppy with this program has to be inserted to provide a password. Otherwise the Harddisk apears to be empty / formatted. A very nice thing if one is a pirate.
    There is a user password and a master password. With the free version of HD-X Lock one can only set the user password - with the full version also the master password which is important cause the factory set master password in all seagte harddisks is well know (seagate+25 spaces) and samsung has no master password at all installed.
    With laptops that have a harddisk password setting in the bios one can not use HD-X Lock because when you set a password with HD-X Lock it is internally scrambled and you can not get the harddisk open without putting the lapstops harddisk into a desktop PC.

Laurijan, Apr 6, 2021
  3. Password Protecting Sensitive Data

Thanks. Sorry for the noobishness, but would the encrypted folders also be password protected so they couldn't be accessed even if the person had the computer or drive?

jasper1605, Apr 6, 2021
  4. bakasamaz Win User

How To: Password Protect a Folder in Network?

xp pro

Hi i have xp pro and i Unchecked the simple file sharing. Can you walk me through? what i want is to password protect Shared folders, so whenever from the others computers try to access those folders a Prompt message pop up asking for user name and password.

bakasamaz, Apr 6, 2021
Thema:

1. Is my user password protected, and what does it protect against? - Similar Threads - user password protected

2. Why is my Task Scheduler Password Protected against me?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is my Task Scheduler Password Protected against me?: Thanks Doug Kendall for responding to my question. You asked for detailed information? I believe I listed it in my question dated 01/27/23, which prompted your response. My concern is that I no longer want Window Updates. I decided that in December, 2022, after Microsoft...
  3. Why is my Task Scheduler Password Protected against me?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is my Task Scheduler Password Protected against me?: Thanks Doug Kendall for responding to my question. You asked for detailed information? I believe I listed it in my question dated 01/27/23, which prompted your response. My concern is that I no longer want Window Updates. I decided that in December, 2022, after Microsoft...
  4. Protection Against Malware/Virus/Keyloggers

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Protection Against Malware/Virus/Keyloggers: So i have an old dell xps 9550 laptop that i still have been using for a while. It has windows ten pro. It's my main laptop. With my laptop, I try to do my best of trying to avoid going on certain sites and clicking links etc. So because of that, a while back I got another...
  5. Does Windows Defender protect me against hackers/spying?

Does Windows Defender protect me against hackers/spying?: I've recently become pretty paranoid about my PC's security. I've run multiple full scans that came up negative. I'm still slightly concerned about my security online. How good is Windows Security at protecting me against hackers? Does it secure my webcam and make sure...
  6. Protect My Password

Protect My Password: Split from this thread. Hi there, I request to protect my password, but didn't allow me to apply. protect my identification from scam and spam. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/protect-my-password/495698cd-0ab8-47e4-94aa-6a9f804216a2
  7. Protection Against Ransomwares

Protection Against Ransomwares: Does the Microsoft know all about ransomware? Microsoft's persons can catch them but...deal [Original Title: Protactions] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/protection-against-ransomwares/9dcfe6bc-8fa9-424d-a8cb-488a7095f186
  8. Does Windows Defender protect against malware with all browsers?

Does Windows Defender protect against malware with all browsers?: I have Windows 10 on my desktop. I have had Malwarebytes working on this computer since 2013. Suddenly, it will no longer open but it is still installed. I have no idea why this has happened and have had trouble getting help from Malwarebytes. Does Windows Defender...
  9. Password Protection

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Password Protection: I am looking for a solution or something built into windows that will produce & protect my password. these days we seem to need password for so many sites & devices. It would be nice to have something that you can load all your login details into then each time you go to...
  10. Old HDD protect against failure

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Old HDD protect against failure: Hi My HDD is 8 years old, working well but presumably due to fail sooner rather than later. My OS is on an SDD (along with some programs/ apps some of which refer to data on the HDD). The HDD has all my pictures, games etc on it. What would be my best strategy for backup if...