Windows 10: Is new Windows 10 iso needed for each new version install?

Discus and support Is new Windows 10 iso needed for each new version install? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I want to verify whether or not my understanding is correct. My current version is 2004. Newest pending version is October 2020 Update, version 20H2.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by caffeine, Nov 6, 2020.

1. caffeine Win User

Is new Windows 10 iso needed for each new version install?

I want to verify whether or not my understanding is correct. My current version is 2004.
    • Newest pending version is October 2020 Update, version 20H2.
    • After version 20H2 is installed I need to create a new bootable recovery flash drive.
    • The new recovery drive must have October 2020 Update, version 20H2 iso file.
    Please correct any misunderstandings I may have.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

regards,

:)

caffeine, Nov 6, 2020
  2. CK011885 Win User

Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

I'm going to be building a new PC on Christmas and want to install Windows 10 on it. I have Windows 10 on my current PC, which I installed upgrading from 8.1 with the files on a USB. How do I go about installing a clean copy of Windows 10 on this new PC? I think I recall something about installing it once makes Microsoft recognize your hardware, but since this will be a PC I'm not sure what steps I need to take. Do I need to go 8.1 -> 10 or is there a method of going directly to 10?

CK011885, Nov 6, 2020
  3. r.h.p Win User

What's your intended PC specs ??

r.h.p, Nov 6, 2020
  4. Kursah Win User

So are you transferring your Windows install from your current PC then? Is that the goal here? My first questions with your current PC is if you're running an OEM version of the OS if it came with your PC. Or if you bought the OS separately. This could affect you being able to migrate 10 over...but you might be able to install 8/8.1 using the key...and installing and upgrading that way.

I'm assuming by your system specs you purchased 8.1 for it...if so, and you want to keep that license on your old PC...buy a new copy of 7/8/10 for the new PC. Otherwise, transfer it over...at worst you call Microsoft and get a computer voice and spend 10 minutes typing in a bunch of numbers to register with the new hardware.

Newer versions of Windows 10 ISO take 7 and 8/8.1 keys during installation (if 1511 ISO was re-released)...or are supposed to. This would make a clean install with a 7/8 key possible and was supposed to have happened...I honestly haven't been keeping track since they pulled the new ISO weeks ago. I upgraded and did a fresh install with it, but the PC already had 10 on it once...so it auto-activated.

At worst you gotta buy a copy of the OS, which at that point it might be cheaper to find a deal on 7 or 8/8.1 to upgrade to 10 from I would get Pro, no higher or lower IMHO.

I hope that helps. *Toast :toast:

Kursah, Nov 6, 2020
Thema:

1. Is new Windows 10 iso needed for each new version install? - Similar Threads - iso needed each

2. WIndows version for new installation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WIndows version for new installation: Hi, my son's Microsoft account has been hacked/stolen. As a precautionary measure I am currently in the process of a clean installation of Winwdows on his Laptop. Prior to the theft of his account, "Windows 11 Pro Education" was installed on his computer. However, during...
  3. WIndows version for new installation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WIndows version for new installation: Hi, my son's Microsoft account has been hacked/stolen. As a precautionary measure I am currently in the process of a clean installation of Winwdows on his Laptop. Prior to the theft of his account, "Windows 11 Pro Education" was installed on his computer. However, during...
  4. windows 10 laptop- each time switches of saves new version

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 10 laptop- each time switches of saves new version: Hi, I have a widows 10 laptop. Whenever shuts down and restarts, it seems to save a new version of itself- this means each time it logs into something such as Netflix it is recognised as a new computer.Not sure what setting needs to be changed hopefully something simple!- any...
  5. windows 10 laptop- each time switches of saves new version

windows 10 laptop- each time switches of saves new version: Hi, I have a widows 10 laptop. Whenever shuts down and restarts, it seems to save a new version of itself- this means each time it logs into something such as Netflix it is recognised as a new computer.Not sure what setting needs to be changed hopefully something simple!- any...
  6. Is new Windows 10 iso needed for each new version install?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is new Windows 10 iso needed for each new version install?: I want to verify whether or not my understanding is correct. My current version is 2004. Newest pending version is October 2020 Update, version 20H2. After version 20H2 is installed I need to create a new bootable recovery flash drive. The new recovery drive must have...
  7. Installing new version Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Installing new version Windows 10: Following a HDD failure I have had to wipe my drive. If I reinstall windows 10 without losing files and data is it possible to copy the old registry file over as I have installed a programme I will need to continue reinstalling email etc....
  8. new Iso windows 10 installation disc

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    new Iso windows 10 installation disc: Hi i have just had issues doing a fresh install of my windows 10 from my iso disc i made dated 2015 I did have a second copy dated 2017 and this has worked Now i would like to make a fresh installation disc and USB bootable drive but cant seem to find the thread or post...
  9. Do I need to purchase a new version to install on a new pc?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Do I need to purchase a new version to install on a new pc?: We are building a PC. Do I need to purchase new windows software to install on the PC? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/do-i-need-to-purchase-a-new-version-to-install-on/9bfd47d8-94f5-4bab-ba68-4caff5dd767d
  10. Installing new version

Installing new version: I recently purchased the Quicken 2019, but have been unable to access it. I am being told that I need to remove the Quicken program, but I can't locate it. I went into the Control panel and Programs and Features, but it is not there. How do I fix this? Thanks...