Windows 10: Is One Drive Bad for Win 10?

Discus and support Is One Drive Bad for Win 10? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I keep seeing tutorials on how to remove One Drive from win 10. Is One Drive that bad? Does it drag system resources too much? 79146 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by yahanna, Mar 10, 2017.

1. yahanna Win User

Is One Drive Bad for Win 10?

I keep seeing tutorials on how to remove One Drive from win 10. Is One Drive that bad? Does it drag system resources too much?

:)

yahanna, Mar 10, 2017
  2. HamisiMickdad, Mar 10, 2017
  3. Roger1117 Win User
    One Drive- Bad Image

I started getting this error after installing Windows 10 Update to Version 1511 Build 10586.14. I tried sfc and DISM as described above, but neither found any problems, and the error persists.

OneDrive sync still seems to be working, so I am not sure if it is a real error, or just a bad report of an error.

Please let me know what else to try.

Roger1117, Mar 10, 2017
  4. Edwin New Member

- it's a pretty heavy Startup item,
    - many users don't care for cloud storage,
    - many users have issues with limited space...

the list could go on...

Edwin, Mar 10, 2017
  5. mrgeek Win User
    What I do is, disable it's auto startup in the Onedrive options or Task Manager\Startup tab and then enable it from Start Menu only when I want to sync files.

mrgeek, Mar 10, 2017
  6. I use it and leave it at its defaults. One forum I go to has such a small file size restriction on uploads its basically impossible to upload a picture. I just put the picture in my one drive folder and post a link to it. I can share other files with other users the same way too.

alphanumeric, Mar 10, 2017
  7. I disabled auto-start for OneDrive and went into the Task Scheduler and created tasks that delayed starting OneDrive and Google Drive startup for 30 seconds after I log in. That allows my PC to get everything else started a little more quickly while still allowing me to use cloud storage. Even though the 5 GB allowance is small, I still use OneDrive to store my school documents for my current term so I can still access them from any internet-equipped PC without having to carry around a USB drive. I find it pretty convenient to keep around.

MattMcD488, Mar 10, 2017
  8. AddRAM Win User

I disable it, I don`t need it.

As far as it being bad, I wouldn`t think so.

AddRAM, Mar 10, 2017
  9. pparks1 Win User
    I use it, no problems.

pparks1, Mar 11, 2017
  10. yahanna Win User
    So which is better and which sucks less minimum resources, One Drive or Google's Drive?

yahanna, Mar 12, 2017
  11. pparks1 Win User
    Neither consume resources really unless you are uploading files. I use both Dropbox and onedrive.

pparks1, Mar 12, 2017
  12. AndreyT Win User
    Nope, there's nothing bad about OneDrive (aside from its annoyung and stupid habit of re-creating its "Email Attachments" folder, which it acquired recently).

OneDrive is extremely useful and efficent if you need it. If you don't need it, then you might see it as an annoyance (since it is always visible in File Manager for example).

So, if you don't need it, you might want to remove it. This why you see all those tutorials. That aforementioned issue with "Email Attachments" folder might be the reason we see a surge in people's desire to remove it.

AndreyT, Mar 13, 2017
  13. Is One Drive Bad for Win 10?

I use it. If you are an office 365 customer, you get 1 TB of storage. It's well worth it to me. As for starting up my computer and taking a performance hit, I don't notice.

Snarks*Cool

SnarkyTwit, Mar 13, 2017
  14. I tried One Drive on Win 7. Problems and more problems. Dumped it and went to Google Drive. Perfect.

Now that I have a Win 10 laptop, I'm wondering ... should I remove One Drive? So far it's invisible and harmless, so it can stay. But I won't use it. Google Drive is much better.

margrave55, Mar 13, 2017
  15. maranna Win User
    I use OneDrive and it works well as does Google Drive and Drop Box.
    It is a matter of preference as to which to use.
    I usually work with them on my desktop but can access them from my phone. The mobile UI is not as easy to use as the PC but once you get the knack it is functional.

maranna, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Is One Drive Bad for Win 10? - Similar Threads - Drive Bad

2. will file history alert me if the physical hard drive encounters bad sectors or other...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    will file history alert me if the physical hard drive encounters bad sectors or other...: will file history alert me if the physical hard drive encounters bad sectors or other errors, or do i have to rely on other means of detecting a failing "history" disk? Expecially external. Should I? Can I... mirror two external drives if not?...
  3. will file history alert me if the physical hard drive encounters bad sectors or other...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    will file history alert me if the physical hard drive encounters bad sectors or other...: will file history alert me if the physical hard drive encounters bad sectors or other errors, or do i have to rely on other means of detecting a failing "history" disk? Expecially external. Should I? Can I... mirror two external drives if not?...
  4. Update run with external drive still attached. Is this bad?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Update run with external drive still attached. Is this bad?: I updated my computer but had my external drive plugged in. I've heard that this is bad news. My external drive is working fine, but now I cannot "eject" that drive. I'm fearful that the update loaded info onto the external drive that the computer needs to function. Any...
  5. Update run with external drive still attached. Is this bad?

Update run with external drive still attached. Is this bad?: I updated my computer but had my external drive plugged in. I've heard that this is bad news. My external drive is working fine, but now I cannot "eject" that drive. I'm fearful that the update loaded info onto the external drive that the computer needs to function. Any...
  6. How do I fix bad sectors on my hard drive??

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I fix bad sectors on my hard drive??: Lenovo scanned my system and it said that my hard drive failed the Targeted Read test, tried fixing it but it couldn't and it's 8 bad sectors. I've ran sfcscannow, chkdsk, DISM and nothing seems to be able to fix this. Do I need a new hard drive? this one is only about three...
  7. How do I fix bad sectors on my hard drive??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I fix bad sectors on my hard drive??: Lenovo scanned my system and it said that my hard drive failed the Targeted Read test, tried fixing it but it couldn't and it's 8 bad sectors. I've ran sfcscannow, chkdsk, DISM and nothing seems to be able to fix this. Do I need a new hard drive? this one is only about three...
  8. How do I fix bad sectors on my hard drive??

9. My old hard drive went bad and I need a new product key for my new rig.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My old hard drive went bad and I need a new product key for my new rig.: Upgraded to a new SSD and I can't get my old Windows Product Key for activation. Can you send my old one or send one https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-old-hard-drive-went-bad-and-i-need-a-new/1c2d114f-d7ec-443f-bcea-80dce9a4d90e
  10. My old hard drive went bad and I need a new product key for my new rig.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    My old hard drive went bad and I need a new product key for my new rig.: Upgraded to a new SSD and I can't get my old Windows Product Key for activation. Can you send my old one or send one https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-old-hard-drive-went-bad-and-i-need-a-new/1c2d114f-d7ec-443f-bcea-80dce9a4d90e