Windows 10: Is OneDrive supposed to remove all my local files on my computer hard drive?

Discus and support Is OneDrive supposed to remove all my local files on my computer hard drive? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I thought I'd take advantage of OneDrive to back up my computer. But it looks like it took them all off the hard drive. I didn't want it to do that!... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MissKathy, Dec 20, 2020.

1. MissKathy Win User

Is OneDrive supposed to remove all my local files on my computer hard drive?

I thought I'd take advantage of OneDrive to back up my computer. But it looks like it took them all off the hard drive. I didn't want it to do that!

Is that what it's supposed to do? Is there a way to just use OneDrive as a backup but keep files on my HD?

:)

MissKathy, Dec 20, 2020
  2. Equation Win User

How to move everything from Onedrive to Local Computer drive?

I have onedrive disabled on my laptop but when I save stuff it still goes to the onedrive folder and it acts like my main PC hard drive (this PC).

Is OneDrive supposed to remove all my local files on my computer hard drive? [​IMG]

I tried removing the files in the black square, I tried desktop first and It removed everything from my desktop. So I had to put it back in onedrive.

So, How do I put everything in this onedrive into This PC folder? so I can remove those Ondrive files.

On my other computer when I click the onedrive drop down, it shows nothing, I want it like that on this laptop.

Equation, Dec 20, 2020
  3. Screensaver and onedrive re-downloads local copies of files to fill my hard drive

I've moved all 900GB of files to OneDrive, which leaves 190GB free on my 250GB surface book. Wonderful. However, it remains like this only until I start screensaver. Notifications of screensvr.exe saving each displayed file locally start appearing and,
    after several hours, my hard drive is full. If I stop screensaver, restore my windows 10 pro installation, restart onedrive, and set all local files to cloud only, I regain my l190GB of free hard drive space. That is, until I restart screensaver. Is there
    a way to make screensaver point directly to onedrive online (i.e., to an http url address) , or remove each local copy of the file after it downloads and displays it, or in some way allow screensaver to be used without filling my hard drive?

Thanks,

cdavidbutler8061133, Dec 20, 2020
  4. ThewlynOh Win User

OneDrive files not accessible on my local drive

Hello.

I am trying to repurpose my wife's old all-in-one for our middle schooler. I am trying to copy the files from her OneDrive to an external hard drive. OneDrive went through the whole copy process and didn't copy a single file directly to the external drive.

So I highlighted the OneDrive contents, hit copy, then hit paste into her local Documents folder, and it seemed to copy them all ok.

However, now that they are local to the hard drive, when I try to move them to the external drive, it says "Can't read from the source file or disk". EVERY file is like this.

What am I doing wrong?

ThewlynOh, Dec 20, 2020
Thema:

1. Is OneDrive supposed to remove all my local files on my computer hard drive? - Similar Threads - OneDrive supposed remove

2. All of my local data was moved to OneDrive. I want it from my hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All of my local data was moved to OneDrive. I want it from my hard drive: When I open File Explorer and click the Favorites bar to get a folder, everything is on OneDrive. When I navigate to This PC > Local Disk C: > Users > my name > Documents, it shows "This folder is empty".This PC shows 192 GB free of 475 GB, so I think that is way more than...
  3. All of my local data was moved to OneDrive. I want it from my hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    All of my local data was moved to OneDrive. I want it from my hard drive: When I open File Explorer and click the Favorites bar to get a folder, everything is on OneDrive. When I navigate to This PC > Local Disk C: > Users > my name > Documents, it shows "This folder is empty".This PC shows 192 GB free of 475 GB, so I think that is way more than...
  4. OneDrive sync removing files stored on my hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive sync removing files stored on my hard drive: I transferred my pictures from OneDrive to my hard drive and turned off the OneDrive because working in OneDrive is excruciatingly slow. I edit and RENAME photos in multiple files. Decided I should sync my photos with OneDrive to store them in the cloud, so switch it one and...
  5. OneDrive sync removing files stored on my hard drive

OneDrive sync removing files stored on my hard drive: I transferred my pictures from OneDrive to my hard drive and turned off the OneDrive because working in OneDrive is excruciatingly slow. I edit and RENAME photos in multiple files. Decided I should sync my photos with OneDrive to store them in the cloud, so switch it one and...
  6. OneDrive has removed my local C Drive functionality?

OneDrive has removed my local C Drive functionality?: I just joined the droves of people annoyed by the oneDrive storage warning and went and cleared the storage not knowing it would clear my actual machine. I have been able to restore the most important personal files but my machine's file explorer now doesn't work. When I open...
  7. Copy Onedrive files to local hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copy Onedrive files to local hard drive: I was updating my windows 11 software when I ran into an error that bricked my system. I had to restore everything. I now want to copy all my files in onedrive to my PC hard drive. I like having a local copy as well as one in the cloud. Thank you...
  8. Copy Onedrive files to local hard drive

Copy Onedrive files to local hard drive: I was updating my windows 11 software when I ran into an error that bricked my system. I had to restore everything. I now want to copy all my files in onedrive to my PC hard drive. I like having a local copy as well as one in the cloud. Thank you...
  9. All my hard drive files are on my desktop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    All my hard drive files are on my desktop: I have two drives, an HDD and an SSD, with my SSD being my booting drive. I was running out of space on my desktop so I decided to move my desktop location to my HDD. For some reason this caused all my HDD files to move to the desktop, not shortcuts, complete files. Can...
  10. OneDrive files not accessible on my local drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive files not accessible on my local drive: Hello. I am trying to repurpose my wife's old all-in-one for our middle schooler. I am trying to copy the files from her OneDrive to an external hard drive. OneDrive went through the whole copy process and didn't copy a single file directly to the external drive. So I...