Windows 10: Is paying for antivirus a waste of money?

Discus and support Is paying for antivirus a waste of money? in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Hi All I think the OP was referring to PAYING for AV software -- all these people mentioning the "Freebies" are OT. However my view is still the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Superfly Win User

Is paying for antivirus a waste of money?

LOL.. How can offering an alternative to paying be OT?

,,, Ah well, I think we are done with the debate... time to watch us give the Aussies a hiding in T20 cricket.

Superfly, Mar 5, 2016
  2. timerity Win User

What then is the reason you have backups if not to recover your missing/damaged files after a virus/malware attack. I'm missing something obviously.

timerity, Mar 5, 2016
  3. I haven't noticed any issues (apart from being annoyed for ~1 week by a popup I accidentally triggered).

I can't remember the last time I actually got hit by any malware (maybe 2009 or 2010).
    The weird thing was, despite using multiple different products, no malware/spyware was detected (not even false positives).

lehnerus2000, Mar 5, 2016
  4. Cliff S New Member

Of which Defender has one of the lowest chances of "finding"*Wink

Cliff S, Mar 5, 2016
  5. Stephanie Win User
    What I would like to know (is Windows 10 Firewall and Defender) enough protection for the average user ?

Stephanie, Mar 5, 2016
  6. Craig Win User
    @Stephanie: For me it has certainly been sufficient *Wink

Craig, Mar 5, 2016
  7. Cliff S New Member
    It depends, average home user, or, average business user?
    Does this user make financial transactions over the net, or like me and prefers not to(you are a bit hand tied then, but...)?

Windows firewall is more than adequate. Just like with GNU/Linux, all ports are closed until the user gives permission, including installing software and drivers. Most(not all but...) maleware needs "permission to run" given from the user. This is why social engineering is on the rise. Many 3rd party firewalls(including those in 3rd party AVSuites) are just frontends to Windows own Firewall.

Cliff S, Mar 5, 2016
  8. Stephanie Win User

Thank you Craig *Smile

Average home user I would say Cliff and thank you for your answer *Smile

Stephanie, Mar 5, 2016
  9. Craig Win User
    You are very welcome, Stephanie *Smile
    When i initially installed Windows 10, i thought that the firewall and Windows Defender protection would PROBABLY be sufficient.

After the three virus encounters i had over those months (which i outlined in an earlier post here) i was so impressed by the way Defender handled them that it went from PROBABLY to DEFINITELY...

I am also an "average home user" like yourself...

Craig, Mar 5, 2016
  10. Stephanie Win User
    That is very reassuring Craig *Smile

Stephanie, Mar 5, 2016
  11. Wazd Win User
    i dont trust the free software, they are using user information to fund their business same as AVG

12. Cliff S New Member
    You're welcome Steph*Smile
    3rd party Suites definitely have their place, but Windows 10 has more than just Defender & firewall.
    Don't forget App containers, UAC Credential Manager, Security Accounts Manager, Device Guard:
    Read more here at TechNet: What's new in Windows 10 security (Windows)

Cliff S, Mar 5, 2016
  13. Stephanie Win User

Thank you for the link Cliff *Smile

Stephanie, Mar 5, 2016
  14. Cliff S New Member
    You are welcome.
    One additional thing I can do as I have the Pro version,
    like Wolfgang, I have Linux on Hyper-V(Ubuntu) and I can then surf the Great Unknown, AND, open email add-ons & click links I'm curious about. If something should happen, delete the VM and a 10 minute reinstall.*Nerd*Cool

Cliff S, Mar 5, 2016
  15. Stephanie Win User
    I have decided to uninstall my 3rd party Firewall and AV and just go with Windows FW and Defender *Smile

Stephanie, Mar 5, 2016
Thema:

1. Is paying for antivirus a waste of money? - Similar Threads - paying antivirus waste

2. DO NOT WASTE MONEY ON BLUETOOTH HEADPHONES!!!!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DO NOT WASTE MONEY ON BLUETOOTH HEADPHONES!!!!!: No matter what you do, Bluetooth headphones will not work on Windows 11. Don't waste your money on the bluetooth options, just get a logitech headset and you will live a much happier life. If you do decide to go with a Bluetooth Headphone, be prepared for it to never work...
  3. DO NOT WASTE MONEY ON BLUETOOTH HEADPHONES!!!!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DO NOT WASTE MONEY ON BLUETOOTH HEADPHONES!!!!!: No matter what you do, Bluetooth headphones will not work on Windows 11. Don't waste your money on the bluetooth options, just get a logitech headset and you will live a much happier life. If you do decide to go with a Bluetooth Headphone, be prepared for it to never work...
  4. BitLocker has completely locked me out and made my Laptop a waste of money!

BitLocker has completely locked me out and made my Laptop a waste of money!: My laptop crashed yesterday, when it reopened, it prompted a BitLocker recovery key. I thought it would be no problem as this is something I have resolved on my work device previously. However, my 48 digit key is not in my Microsoft account, I do not recall being prompted to...
  5. Wasted Money on Professional version of Windows 11 because the software key is withheld

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wasted Money on Professional version of Windows 11 because the software key is withheld: Wasted Money on Professional version of Windows 11 because the software key is withheld. I own other keys I can find no way to recover online. How many times do I have to pay $100 for a Professional Upgrade that never lasts past the next upgrade?...
  6. Wasted Money on Professional version of Windows 11 because the software key is withheld

Wasted Money on Professional version of Windows 11 because the software key is withheld: Wasted Money on Professional version of Windows 11 because the software key is withheld. I own other keys I can find no way to recover online. How many times do I have to pay $100 for a Professional Upgrade that never lasts past the next upgrade?...
  7. Installed and purchased spelling game jearle1974 from microsoft store waste of money.

Installed and purchased spelling game jearle1974 from microsoft store waste of money.: Installed spelling game jearle1974 from microsoft store but it does nothing apart from allow me to add player names. How to get refund? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installed-and-purchased-spelling-game-jearle1974/5872eed4-b42e-4c4f-9ef8-dc248f5ae21f
  8. Waste of time

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Waste of time: How, since the recent automatic upgrade of Windows 10, can I disable tapping or other unpredictable Synaptics SMBus touchpad functions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/waste-of-time/a2bfd913-5be1-4aa5-abe6-7af47fe7d7d8
  9. Unable to pay for Minecraft Realms with microsoft account money on PC

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Unable to pay for Minecraft Realms with microsoft account money on PC: I bought a $25 microsoft card for the sole purpose of renewing my realm. However after I inputted the code and had the funds in my account i realized there is no option in-game to select money from my microsoft account to use to renew the realm. The only options are...
  10. Is Paying For Antivirus Software Worthy?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is Paying For Antivirus Software Worthy?: Free Antivirus software system It’s free. Once on a decent spending, this may encourage. Anyway, remember there’s no such factor as a free dinner. Free antivirus programming framework accompanies its own particular stuff. While most free antivirus programming framework...