Windows 10: Is paying for antivirus a waste of money?

Discus and support Is paying for antivirus a waste of money? in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; I am only using Windows 10 Firewall and Defender (Malwarebytes for a second opinion) and every thing is fine *Smile Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Stephanie Win User

Is paying for antivirus a waste of money?

I am only using Windows 10 Firewall and Defender (Malwarebytes for a second opinion) and every thing is fine *Smile

Stephanie, Mar 7, 2016
  2. WHS
    whs Win User

Those systems are accessable to any of the 800 members. You never know what they do with them. Usually they are for training and teaching. But most of the time they are just standing around.

3. Again on this PC I just use Windows Defender & Firewall ,Mbam and Mbam real time protection .On the other 3 PC's the family uses as well I have Win. Firewall , AVG free , Mbam and Mbam real time protection.

blutos cousin, Mar 7, 2016
  4. Is paying for antivirus a waste of money?

It might depends on how you look after your system. If you visit safe sites all the time then it is ok. I do not use an Antivirus, because I only visit Facebook and Hurricanezone to check for cyclones around the world.

XXHeronikXX, Mar 8, 2016
  5. Unfortunately not always, there is malvertising, man-in-the-middle attacks, DNS hijacks on the server side and so on.

Then again, it all comes to this. Like using a safer DNS, a sandboxed browser as well as extensions, especially flash.
    On my mother's computer, I did not even install AV, but the browser includes Kaspersky scanner, so that might help.
    As jimbo45 stated, it is not just waste of money, it is waste of resources. But I still recommend to use AV, at least free.

TairikuOkami, Mar 8, 2016
  6. dencal Win User
    Agreed....new viruses do cause problems but some AV,s have quite sophisticated heuristics inbuilt, which pick up any unusual behaviour.
    Why I prefer free top rated AV,s....they pick up a higher percentage of KNOWN viruses, (there are an astronomical amount of these), than Defender according to AV testing sites.

dencal, Mar 8, 2016
  7. dencal Win User
    You think Facebook doesn't need Antivirus protection!!!!!

dencal, Mar 8, 2016
  8. Wynona Win User

Face it, guys and gals. We're never gonna agree one way or the other on virus protection.

Wynona, Mar 8, 2016
  9. Cliff S New Member
    For some to use or not to use, which one to use, is a matter of Dogma, or religious ideology*chuckle

Cliff S, Mar 8, 2016
  10. Wynona Win User
    And I ain't agonna argue da point! *Smile

Good morning, Cliff.

Wynona, Mar 8, 2016
  11. Cliff S New Member
    good morning Wynona, oh! Only 7 more posts to gold(hope you get it before I leave for work in about an hour!)

Cliff S, Mar 8, 2016
  12. Wynona Win User
    Hehehe . . . I'll probably be back in bed before you go to work. I'm having a Kari kind of night. *Sad

Wynona, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Is paying for antivirus a waste of money? - Similar Threads - paying antivirus waste

2. DO NOT WASTE MONEY ON BLUETOOTH HEADPHONES!!!!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DO NOT WASTE MONEY ON BLUETOOTH HEADPHONES!!!!!: No matter what you do, Bluetooth headphones will not work on Windows 11. Don't waste your money on the bluetooth options, just get a logitech headset and you will live a much happier life. If you do decide to go with a Bluetooth Headphone, be prepared for it to never work...
  3. DO NOT WASTE MONEY ON BLUETOOTH HEADPHONES!!!!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DO NOT WASTE MONEY ON BLUETOOTH HEADPHONES!!!!!: No matter what you do, Bluetooth headphones will not work on Windows 11. Don't waste your money on the bluetooth options, just get a logitech headset and you will live a much happier life. If you do decide to go with a Bluetooth Headphone, be prepared for it to never work...
  4. BitLocker has completely locked me out and made my Laptop a waste of money!

BitLocker has completely locked me out and made my Laptop a waste of money!: My laptop crashed yesterday, when it reopened, it prompted a BitLocker recovery key. I thought it would be no problem as this is something I have resolved on my work device previously. However, my 48 digit key is not in my Microsoft account, I do not recall being prompted to...
  5. Wasted Money on Professional version of Windows 11 because the software key is withheld

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wasted Money on Professional version of Windows 11 because the software key is withheld: Wasted Money on Professional version of Windows 11 because the software key is withheld. I own other keys I can find no way to recover online. How many times do I have to pay $100 for a Professional Upgrade that never lasts past the next upgrade?...
  6. Wasted Money on Professional version of Windows 11 because the software key is withheld

Wasted Money on Professional version of Windows 11 because the software key is withheld: Wasted Money on Professional version of Windows 11 because the software key is withheld. I own other keys I can find no way to recover online. How many times do I have to pay $100 for a Professional Upgrade that never lasts past the next upgrade?...
  7. Installed and purchased spelling game jearle1974 from microsoft store waste of money.

Installed and purchased spelling game jearle1974 from microsoft store waste of money.: Installed spelling game jearle1974 from microsoft store but it does nothing apart from allow me to add player names. How to get refund? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installed-and-purchased-spelling-game-jearle1974/5872eed4-b42e-4c4f-9ef8-dc248f5ae21f
  8. Waste of time

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Waste of time: How, since the recent automatic upgrade of Windows 10, can I disable tapping or other unpredictable Synaptics SMBus touchpad functions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/waste-of-time/a2bfd913-5be1-4aa5-abe6-7af47fe7d7d8
  9. Unable to pay for Minecraft Realms with microsoft account money on PC

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Unable to pay for Minecraft Realms with microsoft account money on PC: I bought a $25 microsoft card for the sole purpose of renewing my realm. However after I inputted the code and had the funds in my account i realized there is no option in-game to select money from my microsoft account to use to renew the realm. The only options are...
  10. Is Paying For Antivirus Software Worthy?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is Paying For Antivirus Software Worthy?: Free Antivirus software system It’s free. Once on a decent spending, this may encourage. Anyway, remember there’s no such factor as a free dinner. Free antivirus programming framework accompanies its own particular stuff. While most free antivirus programming framework...