Windows 10: Is Product Key Transferable to New PC?

Discus and support Is Product Key Transferable to New PC? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have decided to build a new PC instead of trying to fix the unsupported UEFI Disk problem I've had for the last year with my current PC. I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Jim McClain, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Is Product Key Transferable to New PC?

I have decided to build a new PC instead of trying to fix the unsupported UEFI Disk problem I've had for the last year with my current PC. I have downloaded the Windows 10 Media and installed it to a USB drive. When the install routine asks for my product key, I would like to be able to enter it. Problem is, I upgraded my current machine from Windows 8 to Windows 10 Pro for free and never had to enter a product key. I think the last key I had was for Windows 7.1, which is what I originally installed on this current PC.

So, is the product key stored somewhere on my computer, or can I get it from Microsoft somehow? Or do I have to purchase a new product key? I know I don't have to enter a product key right away, but I'd like to have it from the start and not worry about it later.

Thanks for any guidance on this.

Jim

:)

Jim McClain, Jun 7, 2019
  2. xlook Win User

Can I Transfer an OEM Product Key to New PC?

I built a new PC and want to install windows 8.1. For this I need to buy a product key. I was told that OEM product keys are "married" to the motherboard for life.

But lets say I install win 8.1 and use an OEM product key yo activate it. And lets say in the future I get rid of the old motherboard and install a new motherboard. Will I be able to transfer the product key to the new motherboard? Or would I need a retail product key to transfer the key to a new PC or motherboard?

xlook, Jun 7, 2019
  3. Transfer of product key

Hello.

Whoever told you that you need to "deactivate" is wrong. Go here for actual steps on transfering the product key over:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/transfer-windo...

Simply put, you just need to transfer the license over. you do not need to deactivate first.

For more info, i suggest calling MS support about activation issues.

Disclaimer: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product
    advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Zackary Vanosdol, Jun 7, 2019
  4. Is Product Key Transferable to New PC?

Andre Da Costa, Jun 7, 2019
Thema:

Is Product Key Transferable to New PC?

1. Is Product Key Transferable to New PC? - Similar Threads - Product Key Transferable

2. Product Key and new PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Product Key and new PC: Hi,I just built a new PC and wanted to activate Windows on it.On my last PC i had Windows with my own Code on it but i have lost it for some reason and now i dont know what i can do.Any Help please?...
  3. Transfer a retail W10 Pro product key to a new PC.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer a retail W10 Pro product key to a new PC.: Purchased retail W10 Pro in April. Installed in a VM in Hyper-V for screenshots. Disabled the VM. Now want to upgrade a new W10 Home PC. product key "didn't work."...
  4. transfer product key

transfer product key: i upgraded my laptop windows 10 from Home to Pro. The laptop has died and been replaced, can i transfer my Pro upgrade to my replacement laptop which i would like to move from Home to Pro also?...
  5. New computer and transferring product keys

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New computer and transferring product keys: [ATTACH] (English is not my main language, sorry for any mistakes) Hi everyone! I have a few questions about Product Keys and licensing on Windows. I'm looking to buy a new laptop that comes with a linux distro instead of windows, I don't actually use linux so I'm going...
  6. Transferring product keys to new computers

Transferring product keys to new computers: I have a windows 7 key from a laptop and a windows 10 key from a refurbished desktop. I was wondering if I could transfer the keys to two new desktops and would I be able to activate windows 10 with them? If it is possible how would I do so? Thank You [ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  7. Digital product key transfer - Broken PC to new Pc

Digital product key transfer - Broken PC to new Pc: Hi, I had a digital product key on my old pc - this is still linked to my Microsoft account. I was wondering if there is any way to move over my old windows product key to my new pc when i don't have access to the old PC any more. Both of the pc's are linked to my...
  8. Transfer Windows Product Key to New Hardware

Transfer Windows Product Key to New Hardware: I purchased a Gigabyte computer from an individual several years ago and want to decommission that computer and transfer the Windows OS onto the new one. The new computer is a VM I have created using Parallels on my Mac. I keep running into errors. I have obtained the...
  9. Transferring an old product key to a new system

Transferring an old product key to a new system: I could use some clarification on how product keys work, it's been a long time since I had to think about windows installations. I've been using the same copy of windows for a long time, I've upgraded it from windows 7 to windows 10, but have had the same product key for a...
  10. Can I Transfer an OEM Product Key to New PC?

Can I Transfer an OEM Product Key to New PC?: I built a new PC and want to install windows 8.1. For this I need to buy a product key. I was told that OEM product keys are "married" to the motherboard for life. But lets say I install win 8.1 and use an OEM product key yo activate it. And lets say in the future I get...