Windows 10: Is reactivating a retail Windows 10 Pro license on a new computer allowed (after the old...

Discus and support Is reactivating a retail Windows 10 Pro license on a new computer allowed (after the old... in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Situation: My old computer stopped working, I've built a new one and would like to get my Windows 10 Pro key reactivated on the new computer. In my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by mrlie, May 10, 2019.

1. mrlie Win User

Is reactivating a retail Windows 10 Pro license on a new computer allowed (after the old...

Situation: My old computer stopped working, I've built a new one and would like to get my Windows 10 Pro key reactivated on the new computer.

In my first naïve attempt at "freeing up" the key for reactivation, I figured it was a good idea to delete the old computer from my Microsoft Account (it's still showing under "Family devices" on the Device page, though), but that didn't really do anything. I've since come to understand that what I probably *should* have done was to choose "Troubleshoot" and then "I changed hardware on this device recently" (even if that isn't, strictly speaking, what happened) in order to 'move' the key from the non-working hardware to the new one. But when I try to do that now, my old computer doesn't show up as an option - presumably because I deleted it from the MS account(?) - so I can't do that.

I called Microsoft's Customer Support and ended up with a clearly non-native speaker who probably didn't understand - or at least wasn't willing to actually listen to - any of what I said, because he basically never acknowledged my problem description, talked about using the old motherboard and some other hardware non-sense, and then took me through the full flowchart of trying to activate in various ways. It ended up with him telling me I'd have to buy a new key.

So, my question now is pretty simple: Is he correct in that assertion (i.e. old computer stops working means you'll have to buy Windows all over again) or should I try calling Microsoft again (and hope I'm lucky enough to get a representative that's willing to understand the situation AND is able to reactivate my key on the new computer)?

:)

mrlie, May 10, 2019
  2. Cliff S Win User

Reactivating retail Windows 10 pro after upgrading motherboard

You can delete the device at your Microsoft account after the key is uninstalled:

Is reactivating a retail Windows 10 Pro license on a new computer allowed (after the old... [​IMG]

Cliff S, May 10, 2019
  3. Andre Da Costa, May 10, 2019
  4. Renchy_41 Win User

Is reactivating a retail Windows 10 Pro license on a new computer allowed (after the old...

Windows 10 Pro retail activation on a new computer

Hi,I'm receiving an error 0xc004c003 when trying to activate my Windows 10 Pro retail license on my new computer.

My old computer is formatted so the license should no longer be active.

Renchy_41, May 10, 2019
Thema:

1. Is reactivating a retail Windows 10 Pro license on a new computer allowed (after the old... - Similar Threads - reactivating retail Pro

2. [RESOLVED] Transferring Windows 10 Pro RETAIL license from old computer to new computer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    [RESOLVED] Transferring Windows 10 Pro RETAIL license from old computer to new computer: Hi there I have an old computer with Windows 10 Pro Retail fully activated. It was originally a Windows 8 Pro retail key that I bought from a shop in a box and then upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. I would now like to transfer this old license to my new computer that also has...
  3. Transferring Windows 10 Pro RETAIL license from old computer to new computer

Transferring Windows 10 Pro RETAIL license from old computer to new computer: Hi there I have an old computer with Windows 10 Pro Retail fully activated. It was originally a Windows 8 Pro retail key that I bought from a shop in a box and then upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. I would now like to transfer this old license to my new computer that also has...
  4. Transfer of Windows 10 Pro Retail License from old PC to a new PC

Transfer of Windows 10 Pro Retail License from old PC to a new PC: I had purchased a Windows 7 PC, and upgraded my PC to Windows 8 Pro during the upgrade offer by purchasing a Windows 8 pro license. Now I would like to transfer my license to another PC because i am thinking of disposing of my old PC. My digital license is linked to my...
  5. Move digital retail license for Windows 10 Pro from old PC to new one

Move digital retail license for Windows 10 Pro from old PC to new one: Hi, I have an old PC with a Windows 10 Pro license. It's a digital license linked to my Microsoft account that I purchased online, separately from the computer, and for which I didn't receive an activation code. It's a retail license, as can be confirmed with the command...
  6. Transferring Retail License of Windows 10 To New Computer Without Access to Old Computer

Transferring Retail License of Windows 10 To New Computer Without Access to Old Computer: To put it simply, the computer I built many years ago no longer functions. When I put that computer together I purchased a retail license of windows 10. I'm in the process of getting parts to put together a new rig and was curious as to how I would be able to transfer my...
  7. Retail Windows 8.1 Pro - New Computer License

Retail Windows 8.1 Pro - New Computer License: Alright, this seems fairly a simple question but there seem to be quite a few variants in the answers I see on the web. First, let me clear things up. I bought Windows 8.1 pro in 2015 I think, I bought that Windows from the Windows Stores directly, it is not OEM, it's a...
  8. Error Reactivating Windows 10 Pro Retail After Change New Motherboard

Error Reactivating Windows 10 Pro Retail After Change New Motherboard: Hi, somebody can help me, today i've change (upgrade) my motherboard, i've removed my product key from my old motherboard and when i try to activate to my new motherboard, it said error with 0xC004F025 code i have linked to with my account and it still no working,...
  9. Reactivating retail Windows 10 pro after upgrading motherboard

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reactivating retail Windows 10 pro after upgrading motherboard: I'm about to upgrade my motherboard and I already have my Windows 10 license linked to my Microsoft Account. Can I erase the hard drive, upgrade the motherboard, clean install Windows 10 and then run troubleshooter to reactivate with the same Microsoft account? What would...
  10. Reactivating retail windows after new motherboard

Reactivating retail windows after new motherboard: Got windows 7 Ultimate retail years ago and got Windows 10 pro upgrade. Finally upgraded motherboard and processor and windows won't activate from troubleshooter with error code 0xC004F213. Prior to upgrading I verified my license was digitally linked to my Microsoft...