Windows 10: Is reinstalling windows 10/resetting windows 10 Safe?

Discus and support Is reinstalling windows 10/resetting windows 10 Safe? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hey, so recently i have opened malware. It corrupted a bunch quite alot of windows files. I can still boot the computer up like normal, just that I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Glattic, May 27, 2020.

1. Glattic Win User

Is reinstalling windows 10/resetting windows 10 Safe?

Hey, so recently i have opened malware. It corrupted a bunch quite alot of windows files. I can still boot the computer up like normal, just that I can't reset my PC with factory settings, and that its telling me to activate windows, and my lan cable is unresponsive. So i need to reset my PC, I have heard reinstalling windows 10 with USB media works. But in this situation, is it safe to use it?

:)

Glattic, May 27, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, May 27, 2020
  3. MercJ Win User
    MercJ, May 27, 2020
  4. Kursah Win User

Most painless way to reinstall windows 10?

It depends on the junk accumulated honestly, but there are various methods. You can always remove programs, delete download folder, media locations, etc. As some have suggested, keeping some items on a separate internal storage drive is an option as well. Depends on what you have, what your budget is and how you want to handle your system and data.

The method @RejZoR suggests is sound and a method I've used dozens if not hundreds of time with great success in the field. In many cases though the goal is to keep user data intact, and to repair the OS. In place upgrade as it is called is also only doable in that method if you can boot to desktop, if you can't, it is time for some more advanced options or a format & reinstall.

With Windows 8 and 10 there are refresh and reset options that can be leveraged as well. Hold Shift and click Restart to reboot your system, this will get you into the advanced boot menu, which you'll need to choose advanced options (I forget ATM what it is called) and choose one of a couple items, refresh or reset.

Refresh is essentially In Place Upgrade but a little more aggressive as it wipes the Windows Apps and you may need to reinstall programs. Reset is like an OS reinstall, wipes user data, wipes profiles, registry, performs a install from the system image. Often times I'll do this and bypass using a USB key on a system. Though there are instances where these options will not work if a system has a level of corruption that has not been repaired/resolved. Check the OS Repair link in my sig for more info if ya need.

*Toast :toast:

Kursah, May 27, 2020
Thema:

1. Is reinstalling windows 10/resetting windows 10 Safe? - Similar Threads - reinstalling resetting Safe

2. Windows 10 Safe Reinstall.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Safe Reinstall.: How To Reinstall Windows 10 Via Media Creation Tool By An ISO File.Note : I've Already Completed This StepContinuing To Windows Setup.• How To Install Windows 10 Safely Reinstall Without Losing Data. Note : Only Via "Custom : Install Windows Only advanced" Option.Q/A : Can I...
  3. Is it safe to reinstall windows

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it safe to reinstall windows: This all started around 2 weeks ago where it didn't let me update Windows from 1709 to the latest version and after running the troubleshooter and a bunch of other stuff it hasn't done anything, just the same error. I am currently reinstalling windows and it's on 31%...
  4. trouble reinstalling / reset windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    trouble reinstalling / reset windows 10: hello , after i felt my pc was slower and my ssd was no longer booting that fast after some windows update a month ago ( i also have a weird bug with administator permission creating file ) i wanted to reset windows 10, but i always get and error ( there was a problem ... no...
  5. resetting and reinstalling windows 10

resetting and reinstalling windows 10: Ok i am about to reset my pc as gaming performance is bad my bios is UEFI . Question is should delete secure boot keys in bios or load defaults after deletion before reinstalling windows thanks 140119
  6. Reinstall Windows 10 after Reset Partition.

Reinstall Windows 10 after Reset Partition.: I kept getting a Rest Partition message from Windows 10. I had to accept as the laptop would not load. Now it has rolled back to Windows 8 (from a restore partition on the hard drive). Am I able to reinstall Windows 10 for free? I still have my Windows 8 CD OEM key....
  7. Reset or reinstall Windows 10

Reset or reinstall Windows 10: I wonder if reinstalling Windows Using the Rcovery system, I will have the same copy of the one I had previously installed on my computer or I have to get a new one. Because when I clean a virus, the virus leave damage to the system....
  8. Windows 10 will not recover, reset, or reinstall

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 will not recover, reset, or reinstall: I have a Surface Book with 16G of memory, I7, and over half of the memory drive available. Last week I tried to recover my computer that simply said "There is a problem that prevents recovery". Nothing has changed. I tried a reset and even a clean install. Nothing is...
  9. Reinstalling windows 10 after factory reset

Reinstalling windows 10 after factory reset: Microsoft says I wont need a product key to reinstall windows 10 on the same device after a factory reset but a few days ago my PC crashed after a critical windows update. I did a factory reset then went back to Microsoft and used the media creation tool, selected upgrade...
  10. Windows 10 Reset; Norton's will Not Reinstall

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 Reset; Norton's will Not Reinstall: One of our eMachine (AMD Chip) PC’s, Windows 10 will notinstall Norton’s Security after I reset Windows. I follow prompts then an error pops, with gotechnical support. It says to reload,the Downloader starts then the programs loads and runs, and then just disappearsafter...