Windows 10: Is Resource Monitor a Trojan Horse?

Discus and support Is Resource Monitor a Trojan Horse? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I'm not sure of the best place for this. I chose Performance and System Failures as it is about Resource Monitor, which is a performance monitoring... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by bithead223, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Is Resource Monitor a Trojan Horse?

I'm not sure of the best place for this. I chose Performance and System Failures as it is about Resource Monitor, which is a performance monitoring utility. If there is a more appropriate forum, please feel free to relocate it.

==============

I recently noticed a lot of very unusual traffic being reported in my firewall logs - I was suddenly getting 50000+ blocked packets/day attempting to reach hundreds of public IP addresses on UDP port 137. Info in Wireshark reports these as "Name query NBTSTAT *<00><00><00><00><00><00><00><00><00><00><00><00><00><00><00>" traffic. Wondering where this was coming from, I methodically started closing apps and watching Wireshark to see if the traffic stopped. Eventually I came upon Resource Monitor which I had opened a couple of days ago and which was left running behind other apps on the system. When I closed Resource Monitor, the port 137 traffic destined for public IP addresses stopped.

I needed to restart the computer to let Windows install some updates. As I closed down apps in preparation for this, I opened and closed Resource Monitor several times, verifying each time that the traffic started and stopped with the program. After the updates were installed and I logged back in, this behavior with Resource Monitor continued.

The Resource Monitor executable shows no version information. Here is the info on the executable in C:\Windows\System32:

12/07/2019 02:09 AM 110,592 resmon.exe

MalwareBytes and Norton 360 find the file to be clean. It tried to contact more than 500 public IP addresses over the last 3 days. Why would it do this? If nothing else it puts quite a load on my firewall as it successfully blocks the traffic, keeping it in house. What would happen if the requests were allowed through? Is it malware phoning home to a lot of homes? Would it invite something bad into my system if it made contact?

Hopefully it is "just a bug" and nothing of ill intention is occurring. An explanation would certainly be appreciated.

My Windows 10 Settings indicate:

Edition - Windows 10 Pro

Version - 2004

OS Build - 19041.508

:)

bithead223, Sep 12, 2020
  2. braithy Win User

Trojan horse

Thanks for information, I am running windows defender offline to see if that can remove Trojan horse

braithy, Sep 12, 2020
  3. TShorts Win User
    trojan horse TR/Agent.lrzjl

How do I remove the trojan horse TR/Agent.lrzjl from my Windows 10?

TShorts, Sep 12, 2020
  4. braithy Win User

Is Resource Monitor a Trojan Horse?

Trojan horse

I Did a full scan and my computer had Trojan horse .

fileIs Resource Monitor a Trojan Horse? :D:\preload \innstall.win->(image12671)\programfiles(x86)\HPGames\Crazy Chicken Soc\Moorhuhn-Soccer-WT.exe>(EXEEmb)->(EXEEmb). this is what is being removed . how can i remove it forever .

braithy, Sep 12, 2020
Thema:

Is Resource Monitor a Trojan Horse?

1. Is Resource Monitor a Trojan Horse? - Similar Threads - Resource Monitor Trojan

2. Trojan horse virus

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trojan horse virus: Ive been having this virus for months, I accidently downloaded a file in some website and it said that all my files would be hacked and I thought it was fake at first until my windows defender kept showing me that this trojan horse virus is making my computer space full. I...
  3. Trojan horse virus

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Trojan horse virus: Ive been having this virus for months, I accidently downloaded a file in some website and it said that all my files would be hacked and I thought it was fake at first until my windows defender kept showing me that this trojan horse virus is making my computer space full. I...
  4. Trojan Horse

Trojan Horse: Is csrss.exe a trojan horse? It seems to me. it's part of system 32. It was installed on my computer in August 2013 by Microsoft. Need to know as soon as possible. I've been harassed by outside vendor to buy a very expensive firewall....
  5. Trojan Horse

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trojan Horse: Is csrss.exe a trojan horse? It seems to me. it's part of system 32. It was installed on my computer in August 2013 by Microsoft. Need to know as soon as possible. I've been harassed by outside vendor to buy a very expensive firewall....
  6. Trojan Horse

Trojan Horse: I have had an email saying that a Trojan horse has been uploaded on my computer and I am being blackmailed into paying by bitcoin or they will post a video of me to all my contacts.. They know my address which is very worrying. Needless to say I have not clicked on any link...
  7. Trojan horse warning

Trojan horse warning: I visited a trusted site and then a pop-up appeared on my computer saying that this computer has been blocked for security and then Microsoft support number. Should I be worried and should I use windows prebuilt antivirus to do a proper scan?...
  8. Trojan horse virus

Trojan horse virus: Two problems: 1. After Windows defender discovered a trojan virus detection, it was not able to quarantine or remove it. It was suggested to Microsoft Safety Scanner-which I did. It found like 15 infected files. I left it to run overnight, and then it said there was no...
  9. trojan horse

trojan horse: My windows security detected and blocked a trojan horse virus, I selected the wrong setting, and now have this message - this threat or app has been allowed and will not be remediated in the future. - of course i want to change this Thanks...
  10. Trojan Horse Warning

Trojan Horse Warning: Is 1-888-288-6775 a legitimate Microsoft Support phone number? Had a laoud audio and video warning pop up on my screen saying it was a Trojan Spyware Alert & to contact that number. Is this a hacker scam?...