Windows 10: Is "Retreat to Restore Point' considered an unhelpful answer here?

Discus and support Is "Retreat to Restore Point' considered an unhelpful answer here? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; The Mac2PC switcher guy (Hi!) notices many questions on this board have the same possible lazy answer: retreat to a recent restore point. When I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by The Pool Man, May 17, 2017.

1. Is "Retreat to Restore Point' considered an unhelpful answer here?

The Mac2PC switcher guy (Hi!) notices many questions on this board have the same possible lazy answer: retreat to a recent restore point.

When I look at these questions (see pic) it's the first thing that occurs to me.

Is "Retreat to Restore Point' considered an unhelpful answer here? [​IMG]

Just curious: I see no one giving this advice. But isn't it what Windows would say? Don't waste your time trying to solve big mysteries. Simply restore to a week or so before this issue started?

Is restoring not a reliable fix and is this why it isn't routinely suggested?

:)

The Pool Man, May 17, 2017
  2. DaveH.CA Win User

edge browser and Sharepoint site

There really needs to be an "Unhelpful" button to flag answers that have absolutely nothing to do with what was asked. Please spend time reading and considering a question before slapping down a generic answer.

DaveH.CA, May 17, 2017
  3. JimWynne Win User
    Where did my system restore points go?

System Restore is off by default in new installations of Windows 10. A feature update is considered to be a new installation--a new "version" of Windows 10. In the process of the update, existing restore points get deleted, because there's a good chance
    that the old points (using a different "version" of the registry) will cause trouble in the new, updated version.

JimWynne, May 17, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Is "Retreat to Restore Point' considered an unhelpful answer here?

Why isn't a restore point always a possible answer?
    1. System restore doesn't always work for a variety of reasons.
    2. The problem may have arisen before the earliest available restore point
    3. The user may not have ever turned SR on (it's off by default).
    4. The problem may be sthg a system restore point doesn't address (it only provides limited protection).

Despite that, yes, we do suggest using restore points.

What we strongly recommend is a much better, more robust, flexible and more complete approach: disk imaging.
    That can cover the whole set of Windows partitions, data disks and partitions.
    That addresses ransomware, disk failure, unbootable PCs, etc etc.

Unfortunately not everyone uses it, and even then, it's possible a problem has arisen before the earliest available image.

dalchina, May 17, 2017
  5. CountMike New Member
    System restore is short term solution when something vent wrong with drivers or settings recently. Just some example I use it for: When experimenting with new or modified GPU drivers I make a restore point as it's possible (and it did happen) to get just a black screen, sometime with or without cursor, restart from safe mode and restore system brought old driver back. Problems with 3rd party programs etc are almost impossible to solve like that unless it's registry caused. So it has pretty limited effects. Regular full system backup may be lengthier but still best solution. Even if it's older one you still don't loose as much as with clean install.

CountMike, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Is "Retreat to Restore Point' considered an unhelpful answer here?

1. Is "Retreat to Restore Point' considered an unhelpful answer here? - Similar Threads - Retreat Restore Point'

2. restore point

in Windows 10 Gaming
    restore point: doesn't work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-point/46cf77d1-39a5-45ac-9ced-4bd077a90a6c
  3. Restore Points

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restore Points: My PC with Windows 10 used to set up a Restore Point after every Windows 10 daily Update, now it does not. How can I change that back to an automatic Restore Point after every Windows 10 daily Update?...
  4. Restore Point

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restore Point: hello everyone, I created a restore point before installing some display driver and now i think i need to go to old drivers.... i wanted to know if i used that restore point will i lose any packages that i installed after that restore point like opencv ,kera etc submitted by...
  5. Restore Point

Restore Point: Hi, I have win 10 pro installed and want to make a restore point but when I try to acess the app it says something like "windows cannot access the device, path of specific file. The user may not have the necessary permissions to access that item". Sorry, but I have the...
  6. restore point

restore point: restore to two months ago https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-point/b75193ce-d3b2-41ed-9f91-31bc2f3fe5fc
  7. Restore Points

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Restore Points: -in- sI find no restore points and the configure window shows some thing is using that space all the time. I did a manual restore point and it was over written in a very short time.There is no name shown for this use.of the restore space. An others similar HP All-in-one...
  8. Restore point

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restore point: How do i delete only selected restore points, not all prior ones. I want to do this without installing added apps like ccleaner, etc. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-point/6cf4c430-3850-4438-9a81-c35871e0e10f
  9. Cannot create a restore point

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot create a restore point: I'm not sure I'm in the right place, but when I go to create a restore point I get a message: The restore point could not be created for the following reason: The writer experienced a transient error. If the backup process is retired, the error might not reoccur. Please try...
  10. restore points

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    restore points: I keep regular images with Macrium Reflect, free. I create one manually with each new cumulative update. I also make a restore point each week. Due to their poor reliability record, would you say I am wasting my time with these restore points and to just rely upon Macrium?...