Windows 10: Is Riot Vanguard causing my computer to restart?

Discus and support Is Riot Vanguard causing my computer to restart? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; For the past couple of months, I have been getting PC restarts. Changing the settings to make the PC not restart only makes it completely freeze.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Ethan Rao, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Ethan Rao Win User

Is Riot Vanguard causing my computer to restart?

For the past couple of months, I have been getting PC restarts. Changing the settings to make the PC not restart only makes it completely freeze. Today I tried the minidump method, and I uploaded them to OneDrive.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Atf26tIQQ4TEo1edUuVdBV2WjcV_?e=CqRs8q

I also took a look at them myself using the WinDbg tool - two of the minidumps pointed towards Riot Vanguard. Am I correct here? Should I just uninstall Riot Vanguard and Valorant for a while and see if that was indeed the issue?

:)

Ethan Rao, Sep 16, 2020

2. BSOD on shutdown and restarts

Its called riot vanguard. People were saying its a rootkit anti cheat software. Not quite sure what that means.

NathanLeung1025, Sep 16, 2020
  3. __AW__ Win User
    Bluescreen after a few minutes of first startup of the day

The most probable cause of the BSODs is the Vanguard anti-cheat driver. It's implicated in four of the five dumps. The other crash was a nonspecific memory corruption.

vgk.sys

Fri Jul 31 05:27:22 2020

C:\Program Files\Riot Vanguard\vgk.sys

Vanguard anti-cheat

__AW__, Sep 16, 2020
  4. Is Riot Vanguard causing my computer to restart?

random restarts

Hi Lili,

Hardware failure or system instability can cause the computer to
    randomly restarts. As our initial troubleshooting step, we suggest you to run the Power troubleshooter on your computer and check if it fixes the issue. Here are the steps:

• Press Windows key.
    • Type Troubleshoot.
    • Under Find and fix other problems look for
      Power.
    • Then Run the troubleshooter.

Update us with the outcome and if you need further assistance.

Marilou Ser, Sep 16, 2020
Thema:

Is Riot Vanguard causing my computer to restart?

1. Is Riot Vanguard causing my computer to restart? - Similar Threads - Riot Vanguard causing

2. Can vanguard cause my pc to blue screen

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can vanguard cause my pc to blue screen: Hi so I have a gaming pc ryzen 7 2700 2070 super all that jazz and it worked fine for the longest time until I installed valorant. Now occasionally I will blue screen during games. This never happened before so I am wondering if the kernel based anti cheat software for...
  3. Windows 10 update causes computer to not restart properly

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 update causes computer to not restart properly: I get a windows update and auto restart. When computer gets to 30% it shuts down. When restarts the screen shows restart with black screen and the dot wheel rotates forever. It never restarts. " There was a problem with windows restart". I press the power button to turn off...
  4. NetBT 4311 Error causing new computer to restart

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    NetBT 4311 Error causing new computer to restart: Hi there, Recently built my first PC and I have been getting the following two 4311 NetBT errors which causes my PC to restart, this happens only when playing Valorant. Windows 10 64 bit Initialization failed because the driver device could not be created. Use the...
  5. Printing causes my computer to restart

Printing causes my computer to restart: Everything was working just fine and than about 2 weeks ago when ever I printed to my network HP M477FNW printer my computer would shut down. This was not just limited to me printing. If anyone else in the house prints to this printer from their computer or iPad, my...
  6. "Photo media engine add in" will cause my computer to restart in idle state“”

"Photo media engine add in" will cause my computer to restart in idle state“”: My laptop will always reboot after several minutes idle. I try to reinstall the system, but it is still the same. Finally I find the problem caused by "Photo media engine add in", an extra application which will install automatically when open the "Photos" application. I...
  7. Restart causes shutdown & shutdown causes restart

Restart causes shutdown & shutdown causes restart: Event log shows windows update causing a restart: The process C:\Windows\System32\usocoreworker.exe MILESTONE-JB has initiated the restart of computer MILESTONE-JB on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: Operating System: Service pack Planned Reason...
  8. Computer randomly freezes causing a force shutdown/restart

Computer randomly freezes causing a force shutdown/restart: My computer randomly freezes causing me to have to force a shutdown or restart. There is no malware and I've tried disabling hardware acceleration in Chrome. I noticed this started happening after the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter was removed in version 1809. My NVIDIA...
  9. Can't restart my computer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't restart my computer: Hello, I was clearing storage on my computer by uninstalling some unnecessary apps like Word that I don't pay for anymore. And then I went to uninstall Mozilla Fox because I think Google is a better option, I don't know if I took away something important though, anyhow I...
  10. Computer restarts -- probable cause AuthenticAMD

Computer restarts -- probable cause AuthenticAMD: Hello, Last week my Dell laptop began to restart occasionally. There was no discernible pattern regarding apps running, etc. The debugger gave a WHEA_ERROR_RECORD at ffff908ab5f108f8 and fingered AuthenticAMD as the probable cause. My knowledge on these matters permits me...