Windows 10: Is running chkdsk enough to make sure data is not corrupted?

Discus and support Is running chkdsk enough to make sure data is not corrupted? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a Seagate 500GB USB HDD...I was downloading a file with google chrome into the drive and then suddenly my system crashed...I restarted the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Sam_zia, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Sam_zia Win User

Is running chkdsk enough to make sure data is not corrupted?

I have a Seagate 500GB USB HDD...I was downloading a file with google chrome into the drive and then suddenly my system crashed...I restarted the system and ran the following tests on the disk:

1 chkdsk G: /r

2 Seatools Short Drive Self Test.

3 Seatools Short Generic test.

--------

1 Detected no bad sectors, it says this line at the end of the operation: Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems. No further action is required. here is the full report: https://pastebin.com/tqDLtWw5

2 and 3 also detected no errors and passed.

Is there still a chance my data is corrupted ?

:)

Sam_zia, Jan 13, 2021
  2. Jelo Sen Win User

chkdsk c: /F

It might be an error on the drive. We suggests that you follow the troubleshooting steps below:

• Run Disk Cleanup utility to clear your junk files.
    • Open an elevated CMD type sfc /scannow and hit Enter to run the System File Checker.
    • Once the scan is completed, restart your computer. Remember to exit ChkDsk
      during boot.
    • Next, again open CMD as admin type
      Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
      and hit Enter to repair the Windows image.
    • Now see if ChkDsk able to complete the scan.

Note: Before doing the steps, make sure you save a back up of your files.

Let us know how it goes.

Jelo Sen, Jan 13, 2021
  3. how do i run chkdsk fix under administrator in win 10

please list steps to run chkdsk fix in win 10 as administrator

SabrinaWatkins1, Jan 13, 2021
  4. Arun B J Win User

chkdsk/f not running ,says it is write protected?

Hi,

I realized your concern and will assist you to resolve the issue.

Please answer the below question so that we can understand the situation better.

1. Are you trying to run a check disk on read only file or read and write file?

2. Are you trying to perform check disk from recovery environment

Please follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Click the Start button, then click on
      Settings
    • Then click on Update and Security, locate and select
      Recovery and click on Advance Startup.
    • You will now enter the Windows Recovery Environment, once there click on
      Troubleshoot and then Advance Options.
    • In advance options I would suggest you to go to command prompt and run the check disk and check if it helps.
    Warning: Microsoft does not recommend interrupting the CHKDSK process. Microsoft does not guarantee the integrity of the disk if the CHKDSK program is interrupted .For
    safety you can back up your data before using the check disk command.

Important: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be
    lost.

I would also suggest you to refer the link below and check if it helps

Chkdsk

Your reply is very important for us to ensure a proper resolution. Please get back to us with the above information in order to assist you accordingly.

Thanks and regards.

Arun B J, Jan 13, 2021
Thema:

1. Is running chkdsk enough to make sure data is not corrupted? - Similar Threads - running chkdsk enough

2. CHKDSK Corrupt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CHKDSK Corrupt: Hello,I'm new to chkdsk, and i ran chkdsk and this what i received:Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19045.3570] c Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\Windows\system32>chkdsk The type of the file system is NTFS. WARNING! /F parameter not specified. Running CHKDSK in...
  3. CHKDSK Corrupt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CHKDSK Corrupt: Hello,I'm new to chkdsk, and i ran chkdsk and this what i received:Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19045.3570] c Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\Windows\system32>chkdsk The type of the file system is NTFS. WARNING! /F parameter not specified. Running CHKDSK in...
  4. CHKDSK Corrupt

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. CHKDSK run

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CHKDSK run: I had my windows 10. Suddenly it shut down and couldnt do automatic repair. ı tried many methods but regback in command prompt helped. after months, same happened again but regback didnt help. So I ran a chkdsk f d even though my OS in C just watched youtube. I typed y for...
  6. CHKDSK run

in Windows 10 Customization
    CHKDSK run: I had my windows 10. Suddenly it shut down and couldnt do automatic repair. ı tried many methods but regback in command prompt helped. after months, same happened again but regback didnt help. So I ran a chkdsk f d even though my OS in C just watched youtube. I typed y for...
  7. chkdsk is not running.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    chkdsk is not running.: When trying to run a chkdsk on the Operating System Volume C: it does not run but instead shows this following log under system.This is on a Microsoft Windows Server 2016 Standard Virtual Machine. Running from a Hyper-V. Is the chkdsk failing because of this?I've tried the...
  8. chkdsk is not running.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    chkdsk is not running.: When trying to run a chkdsk on the Operating System Volume C: it does not run but instead shows this following log under system.This is on a Microsoft Windows Server 2016 Standard Virtual Machine. Running from a Hyper-V. Is the chkdsk failing because of this?I've tried the...
  9. Running CHKDSK

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Running CHKDSK: Hi, i run chkddsk and this is the result but im not sure what to do about it, maybe i should just reinstall win10?C:\WINDOWS\system32>chkddsk 'chkddsk' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. C:\WINDOWS\system32>chkdsk The type of...
  10. CHKDSK not running

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CHKDSK not running: I have errors on C: and scheduled checkdisk to run on restart. The issue is it goes through the countdown for pressing a key to cancel, then it says checking for errors on c but then after a few seconds the screen goes black and goes straight to the windows log in screen....