Windows 10: Is SATA Controller MODE [RST] same as "legagy mode?

Discus and support Is SATA Controller MODE [RST] same as "legagy mode? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; This thread is sort of a continuation of which utility to migrate apps and Win config to new system?. In that thread, someone suggested that I use... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by x509, May 26, 2019.

1. x509 Win User

Is SATA Controller MODE [RST] same as "legagy mode?

This thread is sort of a continuation of which utility to migrate apps and Win config to new system?. In that thread, someone suggested that I use Macrium Reflect to image the C: partition on my wife's old system, and then restore that image to the new system, which is a Lenovo Yoga C730. The old system is a 2011 vintage ASUS motherboard with a pre-UEFI BIOS.

Before I go mucking around with with a restore, I want to make sure I understand what I'm dealing with. The BIOS shows that the SATA controller is in [RST] mode, the other choice being [AHCI]. I did a web search and found a forum thread where the guy says that if you have an NMVe drive in the system, RST is the right setting. This laptop does have an NVMe SSD, M.2 form factor. Does this setting mean that I can just "drop in" the partition from the old system, no further changes needed?

The advice in the other thread was to put the system into CSM for the transfer, and then to switch the SATA controller back into AHCI mode, and do any necessary repairs.

Here is the partition layout of the SSD in the new laptop. I used Macrium Reflect to get this layout.
    Is SATA Controller MODE [RST] same as "legagy mode? [​IMG]

Thanks for reading and replying. Much appreciated.

Point of interest: This newly designed system has a legacy appearance BIOS named "H20 Setup Utility" even though the Boot Menu says that Boot Mode is UEFI.

:)

2. Laurijan Win User

My Sata HDD is in IDE-mode?!

I can´t activate AHCI in Bios - there´s under "Sata Controller Mode" only Auto, Compatible (Sata only), and Enhanced - no AHCI - tried to install Windows in all modes - doesn´t help.

Laurijan, May 26, 2019
  3. Sasqui Win User
    PCIExpress BUS Speed / SATA Controller?

Couldn't find Sata spectrum. What is syn mode? There's no options for separately controlling the SATA speed. The side effects of the PCIEx changes seem to suggest SATA is somehow linked to the PCIEx speed...

Sasqui, May 26, 2019
  4. btarunr Win User

Gigabyte Releases SATA Mode Switching Tool

Gigabyte released a new utility that allows you to change the mode of the chipset SATA controller between IDE, AHCI, and RAID (if available), from within Windows. While the switching isn't exactly on-the-fly (because changing SATA mode is effectively changing the SATA controller as Windows sees it, and hence can't happen on-the-fly), it certainly saves the trouble of going into BIOS setup and digging out that option. The utility works by writing the value of the selected mode to the CMOS, and prompting a system reboot for the change to take effect. Gigabyte's Disk Mode Switch utility works on Gigabyte motherboards based on Intel 6-series chipset (H61, H67, P67, and Z68). Now why you'd need a Windows-based utility to change a BIOS setting as infrequently changed as SATA controller mode is something we'll leave it to you to comment on.

Is SATA Controller MODE [RST] same as "legagy mode? 141a_thm.jpg

DOWNLOAD: Gigabyte Disk Mode Switch

btarunr, May 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Is SATA Controller MODE [RST] same as "legagy mode? - Similar Threads - SATA Controller MODE

2. Legacy or UEFI Boot mode for new SATA SSD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Legacy or UEFI Boot mode for new SATA SSD?: Hello!! I am using a Lenovo V310 14ISK laptop which is set to Legacy boot mode by default. Now I want to install a SATA SSD in place of my old HDD and use it as a boot drive while keeping HDD in the DVD drive bay and use it for storing photos, videos etc.So will I have to...
  3. Is S mode the same as Safe mode?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Is S mode the same as Safe mode?: Is S mode the same as Safe mode? Are there any differences in term of performance, security and privacy between those? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-s-mode-the-same-as-safe-mode/c6aa0e4b-5d92-400f-ac03-27dd9cb0cc27
  4. Is S mode the same as Safe mode?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is S mode the same as Safe mode?: Is S mode the same as Safe mode? Are there any differences in term of performance, security and privacy between those? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-s-mode-the-same-as-safe-mode/c6aa0e4b-5d92-400f-ac03-27dd9cb0cc27
  5. Is S mode the same as Safe mode?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Windows Controller Mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Controller Mode: Hi,With Windows 11 having a bigger emphasis on Gaming, I wold really enjoy a better way to navigate with a controller. As someone who typically has their pc plugged into the tv to play games, it would be awesome to have some of the features below:At a minimum, native mouse...
  7. Volume control in kiosk mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    Volume control in kiosk mode: I'm setting up a medical device based on Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC, version 1809, OS build 17763.107 It's set in Kiosk mode, so that when Windows starts it automatically launches a custom win32 software. Now, in this software we would like to control the audio volume, the...
  8. S mode and parental controls

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    S mode and parental controls: Does exiting s mode affect the ability to maintain parental controls on a surface device? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/s-mode-and-parental-controls/0ac4af0b-aba2-4d6d-82fd-1538a0ef10f7
  9. BOOT / SATA OPERATION MODE

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BOOT / SATA OPERATION MODE: Hello, Greetings from my small country of Bahrain. I hope all of you are healthy and safe during these times. I just wanted to clarify a small issue I have, below are the specs of my system Dell Optiplex 9010 MT Win10 pro x64 licensed Processor Intel i7 3770 16 GB...
  10. Are Moden Apps the same in desktop mode as tablet mode?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Are Moden Apps the same in desktop mode as tablet mode?: My apologies if this question seems basic, but I really am confused. I'm trying to understand why I would want to use tablet mode. Apart from the minimize, maximize and "x" buttons found in desktop mode. Aren't the modern tile apps that you can launch straight from the...