Windows 10: Is SATA Controller MODE [RST] same as "legagy mode?

Discus and support Is SATA Controller MODE [RST] same as "legagy mode? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; This thread is sort of a continuation of which utility to migrate apps and Win config to new system?. In that thread, someone suggested that I use... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by x509, May 26, 2019.

1. x509 Win User

Is SATA Controller MODE [RST] same as "legagy mode?

This thread is sort of a continuation of which utility to migrate apps and Win config to new system?. In that thread, someone suggested that I use Macrium Reflect to image the C: partition on my wife's old system, and then restore that image to the new system, which is a Lenovo Yoga C730. The old system is a 2011 vintage ASUS motherboard with a pre-UEFI BIOS.

Before I go mucking around with with a restore, I want to make sure I understand what I'm dealing with. The BIOS shows that the SATA controller is in [RST] mode, the other choice being [AHCI]. I did a web search and found a forum thread where the guy says that if you have an NMVe drive in the system, RST is the right setting. This laptop does have an NVMe SSD, M.2 form factor. Does this setting mean that I can just "drop in" the partition from the old system, no further changes needed?

The advice in the other thread was to put the system into CSM for the transfer, and then to switch the SATA controller back into AHCI mode, and do any necessary repairs.

Here is the partition layout of the SSD in the new laptop. I used Macrium Reflect to get this layout.
    Is SATA Controller MODE [RST] same as "legagy mode? [​IMG]

Thanks for reading and replying. Much appreciated.

Point of interest: This newly designed system has a legacy appearance BIOS named "H20 Setup Utility" even though the Boot Menu says that Boot Mode is UEFI.

:)

2. Laurijan Win User

My Sata HDD is in IDE-mode?!

I can´t activate AHCI in Bios - there´s under "Sata Controller Mode" only Auto, Compatible (Sata only), and Enhanced - no AHCI - tried to install Windows in all modes - doesn´t help.

Laurijan, May 26, 2019
  3. Sasqui Win User
    PCIExpress BUS Speed / SATA Controller?

Couldn't find Sata spectrum. What is syn mode? There's no options for separately controlling the SATA speed. The side effects of the PCIEx changes seem to suggest SATA is somehow linked to the PCIEx speed...

Sasqui, May 26, 2019
  4. btarunr Win User

Gigabyte Releases SATA Mode Switching Tool

Gigabyte released a new utility that allows you to change the mode of the chipset SATA controller between IDE, AHCI, and RAID (if available), from within Windows. While the switching isn't exactly on-the-fly (because changing SATA mode is effectively changing the SATA controller as Windows sees it, and hence can't happen on-the-fly), it certainly saves the trouble of going into BIOS setup and digging out that option. The utility works by writing the value of the selected mode to the CMOS, and prompting a system reboot for the change to take effect. Gigabyte's Disk Mode Switch utility works on Gigabyte motherboards based on Intel 6-series chipset (H61, H67, P67, and Z68). Now why you'd need a Windows-based utility to change a BIOS setting as infrequently changed as SATA controller mode is something we'll leave it to you to comment on.

Is SATA Controller MODE [RST] same as "legagy mode? 141a_thm.jpg

DOWNLOAD: Gigabyte Disk Mode Switch

btarunr, May 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Is SATA Controller MODE [RST] same as "legagy mode? - Similar Threads - SATA Controller MODE

2. Mouse mode to Touch mode

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse mode to Touch mode: My surface pro 6 while on the dock. I am using Outlook 2016. Outlook continually changes from mouse mode to touch mode. It is not a big deal just annoying that I have to continuously change the mode back to mouse mode. Is this a bug in the system or is there a...
  3. Turning Game Mode off disables my controller

Turning Game Mode off disables my controller: I'm a streamer who uses OBS. OBS devs have warned Windows 10 users to turn off game mode because it takes away too many resources from OBS, which results in low quality streams. I turned it off as advised, but noticed the my wireless Xbox 1 controller no longer works. The...
  4. sleep mode

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    sleep mode: what is managed by windows as conection to internet in sleep mode? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sleep-mode/142f1811-9e3b-47c7-995a-a0949e80acf8
  5. Control Panel Just open in Safety mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Control Panel Just open in Safety mode: I have a new PC with the last windows update. The control panel just open in safe mode. I download a new image and reinstall windows but the problem is the same. I read a lot off thing in internet but I did not find anything to solve the problem Can you help me?...
  6. Two new modes: Phone mode and XBOX mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    Two new modes: Phone mode and XBOX mode: Since the launch of Windows 10, Microsoft attempted to unify the experience when they added an entire new feature: Tablet Mode. Because of this, I thought that we can bring this idea and create a total new experience: Phone mode and XBOX mode. -Phone mode If Microsoft is able...
  7. Safe Mode

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Safe Mode: I need to use my campus' wifi when I am in my computer classes. When I try to use it, even on their secured site it says that this computer only accepts apps that are from the Windows app store. It doesn't accept Rutgers secure server nor does it have an app....
  8. ASMedia SATA Controller Firmware?

ASMedia SATA Controller Firmware?: Before anyone says anything, this lies in-between Windows and Linux, and i am not exactly sure where i should go with this, but as it is a driver/firmware issue that i most likely will need to fix over/with Windows, i take this up here. Hi guys. So, i tried installing...
  9. Are Moden Apps the same in desktop mode as tablet mode?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Are Moden Apps the same in desktop mode as tablet mode?: My apologies if this question seems basic, but I really am confused. I'm trying to understand why I would want to use tablet mode. Apart from the minimize, maximize and "x" buttons found in desktop mode. Aren't the modern tile apps that you can launch straight from the...
  10. Can't boot to Windows 10 after changing SATA mode and RAID

Can't boot to Windows 10 after changing SATA mode and RAID: So at first, I was trying to resolve an issue with my BD-ROM drive described here: XPS 8700 - BD-ROM (HL-DT-ST DVDRW/BDROM CH20N) Not Recognized Windows 10 - Disk Drives (HDD, CD/DVD, Blu-ray) Forum - Disk Drives - Dell Community However, when attempting to try different...