Windows 10: Is Secure boot still good?

Discus and support Is Secure boot still good? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I needed to repair my 2004 Win 10 because for some reason, the WinRE got fruitcake. Secure boot stopped working unless I had BIOS on "Other OS". So I... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Kurnn, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Kurnn Win User

Is Secure boot still good?

I needed to repair my 2004 Win 10 because for some reason, the WinRE got fruitcake.
    Secure boot stopped working unless I had BIOS on "Other OS".

So I turned off Secure boot and Saved the Bootkeys in BIOS like a good little hacker boy.
    I downloaded the Win 10 ISO (August 16), and did a Repair-upgrade from within Win 10, as I've done before.

It finished and the Windows.old got created and windows worked normal.
    I put Secure boot on EUFI mode, where the BIOS status was "Loaded keys".

TPM 2.0 is enabled and working.

AMD CPU Virtualization is enabled, but still cant activate Core Protection in Win 10, without bluescreen on Windows loading since I have AMD Ryzen 5 CPU
    (for some ungodly reason, Microsoft and AMD arnt talking why AMD does not support CPU Virtualization on their Ryzen)

My WinRe is still fruitcake, but now I can't re-engage Secure boot! Only if I have the BIOS setting on "other OS"
    I've tried using the CSM, no go.

Computer works great. I just like to use the protection that comes with the hardware! *Wink.

Is Secure boot still good, or can I forget about it since Ryzen CPU has so much goodies automatic anyway?
    My Motherboard is ASUS TUF B450-PLUS GAMING and my C-Drive is Crucial M.2 SSD (1TB).

Why the banans did not the Win 10 repair upgrade Fix all my problems! Meh!

:)

Kurnn, Sep 4, 2020

2. Windows 8 Secure Boot Feature: Not So Secure?

So Linux is switching to secure boot also? Or they have to because of UEFI?

Damn_Smooth, Sep 4, 2020
  3. newtekie1 Win User
    Windows 8 Secure Boot Feature: Not So Secure?

• Linux
    • Linux
    • Linux
    • Linux
    • Oh and OSX
    Here is a statement from a Kernal Developer at Red Hat:

I'm not sure this exploits the legacy BIOS but rather it exploits the legacy boot method on MBR drives, injecting a signed key before the OS boots, which you are correct in that it has nothing to do with Windows 8. And the simplest fix would just be to require boot drives use GPT when Secure Boot is enabled in UEFI.

newtekie1, Sep 4, 2020
  4. qubit Win User

Corporate Security Solution

That made me so facepalm. Some people have absolutely no clue. I hope they don't take you for granted with all this you're doing for them.

SonicWall is a good security product, so Mindweaver's suggestion sounds like a good one and should make for a rather bigger baby step. Let's hope they take it.

qubit, Sep 4, 2020
Thema:

1. Is Secure boot still good? - Similar Threads - Secure boot still

2. Good upload speed but still fluctuating?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Good upload speed but still fluctuating?: Hello, I've been having trouble with my internet stuff; everytime I try to stream to Twitch, my upload speed tending to trifle down every 15 minutes or so. I have no clue what it is, but my ISP says that both ends are fine and the internet speed test shows good speed, so it's...
  3. Good upload speed but still fluctuating?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Good upload speed but still fluctuating?: Hello, I've been having trouble with my internet stuff; everytime I try to stream to Twitch, my upload speed tending to trifle down every 15 minutes or so. I have no clue what it is, but my ISP says that both ends are fine and the internet speed test shows good speed, so it's...
  4. Good upload speed but still fluctuating?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Why is Secure Boot still greyed out

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is Secure Boot still greyed out: I'm trying to get VALORANT on, and I set an Administrator Password and set the security boot settings to default, but Secure Boot is still greyed out. Why and how can I get it back on to enable it?...
  6. Why is Secure Boot still greyed out

Why is Secure Boot still greyed out: I'm trying to get VALORANT on, and I set an Administrator Password and set the security boot settings to default, but Secure Boot is still greyed out. Why and how can I get it back on to enable it?...
  7. Yoyocut still good (or better alt)

Yoyocut still good (or better alt): I re-discovered this split file joiner program I used years ago called yoyocut, and its looking a bit....ehhhh I get I can extract from a split archived zip/rar/7zip straight from 7zip or winrar, but in the case of split non-archived files, is yoyocut still any good, or is...
  8. Windows Security - good enough?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Security - good enough?: New to Windows 10 (Pro) ... upgraded from Windows 7 (Pro) then clean-installed W10 on a Dell 660, clearing out all my software in the process. So now I'm trying to decide whether to reinstall 3P virus/malware/firewall/etc. software. Previously was using Kaspersky. Is Windows...
  9. Tell how good Windows Security is

Tell how good Windows Security is: Windows 7 was a nightmare Windows 10 was a God send . On Windows 7 I made three trips to the repair shop at £30 a go. One Laptop got thrown in the Wheelie Bin. My Grandson just got an Ipad but I loved Windows and bought his laptop off him. Ive watched Windows 10 Security...
  10. Tell how good Windows Security

Tell how good Windows Security: Windows 7 was a nightmare Windows 10 was a God send . On Windows 7 I made three trips to the repair shop at £30 a go. One Laptop got thrown in the Wheelie Bin. My Grandson just got an Ipad but I loved Windows and bought his laptop off him. Ive watched Windows 10 Security...