Windows 10: Is still OEM license legal after motherboard exchange?

Discus and support Is still OEM license legal after motherboard exchange? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Is still OEM license legal after fault motherboard exchange?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by TomitaSERBAN, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Is still OEM license legal after motherboard exchange?

Is still OEM license legal after fault motherboard exchange?

:)

TomitaSERBAN, Sep 28, 2020

2. How to legally use an OEM license.

Since MS has continued to use their asinine licensing for OEM copies, I am trying to find a way to use this license for the PCs I build for myself. I am fully aware that the OEM license is tied to the motherboard and have no problem with that.

Here is the language from the MS website:

"If you are building a system for your personal use or installing an additional operating system in a virtual machine, you will need to purchase a full version of Windows 10, available in FPP. Windows 10, Windows 8.1, and Windows 7 system builder software does not permit personal use, and is intended only for preinstallation on customer systems that will be sold to end users.*"

It is very clear that the OEM license is not meant to be used on a personal machine (even though they cannot be so naive as to why the OEM licenses are the most popular). Regardless, I am one who tries to follow the rules; despite the chance of getting caught is negligible, I will not break the rules.

I will, however, try to find a loophole. What is stopping me from selling the computer to my friend for $1, then he immediately sells it back to me for $1? There can be a cash exchange and I became a reseller of this license. Is there any reason I could not do this?

As a reseller, am I supposed to have an invoice with a record of the transaction (even though a cash transfer will be impossible to prove)? What actually counts as a transfer of ownership? Do I have to have him take possession and drive it to his house? Can I build it, have him come over and do a cash exchange twice without the computer ever moving?

I would appreciate anyone's input on this.

Thanks

TiredEngineer, Sep 28, 2020
  3. Are OEM Windows legal?

Hi,

I am Sumit, an Independent Advisor and a 2-Year Windows Insider MVP here to help.

Yes, OEMs are legal licenses. The only difference is they cannot be transferred to another computer.

Sumit (Independent Advisor), Sep 28, 2020
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Is still OEM license legal after motherboard exchange?

How to legally use an OEM license.

Hi there

Not sure with W10 but in W7 days you could get an OEM copy of windows at hugely discounted rates legally if you bought some hardware such as a Mouse etc.

Not sure if that loophole exists any more though. It would still only activate on a single computer and was non transferrable.

Your best bet is to get a cheap LEGAL retail copy of W7 and then until 29 July go for the free W10 upgrade.

Incidentally if you were a member of the Technet program and you have some W7 serials (most of those allowed at least 10 activations) then those serial numbers are valid for W10 upgrade. I've done a few myself.

As far as OEM license itself (system builders) you'll have to speak to Ms as regard to costs. I'm sure as a system builder and reseller you must have some sort of system for "Testing" -- I can't see Ms encouraging stuff to go out of the door untested.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Sep 28, 2020
Thema:

Is still OEM license legal after motherboard exchange?

1. Is still OEM license legal after motherboard exchange? - Similar Threads - still OEM license

2. Activate the OEM Sticker license after replacing the Motherboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activate the OEM Sticker license after replacing the Motherboard: Hello,I purchased a Windows 7 Pro license in the form of a sticker and installed it on my computer. However, now the motherboard of the computer is damaged, and I replaced it with a similar one same model. Can I use the sticker for the damaged motherboard to activate the new...
  3. Activate the OEM Sticker license after replacing the Motherboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Activate the OEM Sticker license after replacing the Motherboard: Hello,I purchased a Windows 7 Pro license in the form of a sticker and installed it on my computer. However, now the motherboard of the computer is damaged, and I replaced it with a similar one same model. Can I use the sticker for the damaged motherboard to activate the new...
  4. Getting OEM binded with a used motherboard, is it legal?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Getting OEM binded with a used motherboard, is it legal?: - I got win 10 home activated without asking for a key. I made a custom PC and bought a used motherboardASUS H81M seperatelyI didn't bought and modify a branded PC. - Also, does it depends upon good hardware getting better edition or it is a fixed edition by manufacturer? -...
  5. Getting OEM binded with a used motherboard, is it legal?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Getting OEM binded with a used motherboard, is it legal?: - I got win 10 home activated without asking for a key. I made a custom PC and bought a used motherboardASUS H81M seperatelyI didn't bought and modify a branded PC. - Also, does it depends upon good hardware getting better edition or it is a fixed edition by manufacturer? -...
  6. Getting OEM binded with a used motherboard, is it legal?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Motherboard upgrade and OEM License

Motherboard upgrade and OEM License: I plan on upgrading my motherboard but worried that I have to buy Windows 10 again due to my license being an OEM. Is there a way to transfer that license to a new motherboard?...
  8. OEM motherboard license question

OEM motherboard license question: Hello, so I originally bought this computer with a OEM windows license attached to the motherboard. A couple months ago i removed my solid state drive and hard drive from the pc to let my nephew use it for a couple of months. Keep in mind I never deleted/formatted my drives...
  9. Reactivating windows after motherboard exchange

Reactivating windows after motherboard exchange: Hello, I recently changed my motherboard and my windows 10 pro needs to be reactivated. I've had a windows 7 before which I upgraded for free to the windows 10. I followed the steps on the troubleshooting which finds my device: [ATTACH] However after selecting it,...
  10. How to legally use an OEM license.

How to legally use an OEM license.: Since MS has continued to use their asinine licensing for OEM copies, I am trying to find a way to use this license for the PCs I build for myself. I am fully aware that the OEM license is tied to the motherboard and have no problem with that. Here is the language from the...