Windows 10: Is system restore supposed to take more than 1.5 hours on a 1Tb machine with 7200rpm drives?

Discus and support Is system restore supposed to take more than 1.5 hours on a 1Tb machine with 7200rpm drives? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; After updating my computer's performance went down the drain so I checked out some solutions and the best one was system restore to roll back to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Shoutmonster, Aug 19, 2020.

1. Is system restore supposed to take more than 1.5 hours on a 1Tb machine with 7200rpm drives?

After updating my computer's performance went down the drain so I checked out some solutions and the best one was system restore to roll back to previous update, its already been more than one and a half hours and it's on "finishing file restoring" for over 40 minutes.

submitted by /u/Shoutmonster
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Shoutmonster, Aug 19, 2020
  2. GFR
    gfr Win User

System Restore has been restoring the registry for 7-1/2 hours

However, my story ends differently than the link in your post above and than it did in System Restore taking too long from answers.microsoft.com.

Here is the rest of the story...

Background
    1. The reason I was doing a System Restore was to restore two .OST data files that were deleted when Outlook 2013 crashed two-thirds of the way through a print-to-PDF of 98 emails. (In other words, while I was trying to print 98 emails to a single PDF.)
    2. Before doing the System Restore:
      • I attempted to run Outlook 2013 a few times and each time it ended with an error message about one or more corrupt .OST files, and
      • I checked the folder where the two expected .OST files should have been and found none there, corrupt or otherwise.
    3. I had no reason to expect a System Restore to restore two deleted data files since I have always been told System Restore will not delete or change personal data files; however, I wondered if System Restore might restore the contents of folder C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook to its restore point condition. (C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook is the location where the deleted .OST data files would have been if they had not been deleted.)
    Actions
    1. I set my AV software not to start with windows and exited the AV program.
    2. I ran System Restore, it initialized and restarted twice, I think, and began restoring the registry; after 2 hours, I noted the time, and after 7-1/2 hours, I posted my initial message.
    3. After "restoring the registry" for approximately 14 hours, I held the power button until the PC shutdown.
    4. After 5 minutes, I powered up the PC, and after it restarted, the PC hung at "Please Wait" with the white swirling balls.
    5. After 10 minutes, I held the power button until the PC shutdown.
    6. After 5 minutes, I powered up the PC, and after it restarted, Windows 10 started correctly and completely with the message "System Restore was unsuccessful, ... no files were changed."
    7. I ran Outlook 2013 and it opened both .OST files flawlessly.
    Outcome: Despite being unsuccessful, System Restore restored the two OST files in C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook.

Go figure!

3. dalchina Win User
    Windows 10 1709 System Restore problems...

That seems to be an attempt at Option 2 in the tutorial, which requires you to
    a. Boot to a command prompt (Did you?)
    b. You then seem to be mixing steps 3,4 and 5, thus your command is incorrect.

I suggest Option 1 is easier.

If you still have problems, please repost listing each specific step and saying which option from the tutorial you are using. Thanks.

dalchina, Aug 19, 2020
  4. Is system restore supposed to take more than 1.5 hours on a 1Tb machine with 7200rpm drives?

Missing storage space on 1Tb hard drive

? What part of this post was about cleaning disk.

It was about he believes a 1TB drive is close to 990GB in size which 932GB would be max drive size.

Then he needed to remove the EFI partition on disk 1 D:\

seahawks65, Aug 19, 2020
Thema:

Is system restore supposed to take more than 1.5 hours on a 1Tb machine with 7200rpm drives?

1. Is system restore supposed to take more than 1.5 hours on a 1Tb machine with 7200rpm drives? - Similar Threads - system restore supposed

2. System restore is taking more space than the configured limit

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System restore is taking more space than the configured limit: Today I saw that system restore is taking more space than the limit that I configured. Before it was lower than the limit. What is problem with system restore and how can I fix it?...
  3. System restore is taking more space than the configured limit

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System restore is taking more space than the configured limit: Today I saw that system restore is taking more space than the limit that I configured. Before it was lower than the limit. What is problem with system restore and how can I fix it?...
  4. Updates taking more than 10 hours

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Updates taking more than 10 hours: Windows has been running "Feature update to Windows 10, version 21H2" for more then 10 hours. It was stuck several time previously, now at 90%. I was previously stuck at 60% and 87% before I rebooted. Have tried everything I know of....
  5. Updates taking more than 10 hours

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Updates taking more than 10 hours: Windows has been running "Feature update to Windows 10, version 21H2" for more then 10 hours. It was stuck several time previously, now at 90%. I was previously stuck at 60% and 87% before I rebooted. Have tried everything I know of....
  6. Updates taking more than 10 hours

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. System restore taking hours

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    System restore taking hours: My laptop wasn't booting uo so I tried to do a system restore. It has been around 6 hours since I started and it is still hasn't finished. What should I do submitted by /u/Re-Evolution7 [link] [comments]...
  8. System restore have been running for more than 2 hours

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System restore have been running for more than 2 hours: I had problems with my Microsoft outlook. The signature in the outlook was unresponsive, I then by accident uninstalled the Microsoft Office and tried to fix the problem by doing a system restore. The system restore point was selected and everything run smoothly, but now its...
  9. System restore have been running for more than 2 hours

in Windows 10 Support
    System restore have been running for more than 2 hours: I had problems with my Microsoft outlook. The signature in the outlook was unresponsive, I then by accident uninstalled the Microsoft Office and tried to fix the problem by doing a system restore. The system restore point was selected and everything run smoothly, but now its...
  10. BSOD during intensive system usage, for more than 1 hour

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD during intensive system usage, for more than 1 hour: Hi I have got many BSOD's recently while using my system intensively for multiple hours, for example when playing Overwatch or any other game that uses my CPU, GPU, and RAM intensively. The games are running fine, no lag, no sign of system error, but suddenly, after 1h...