Windows 10: Is that true because registry and file permissions is not me owner or there is unknown...

Discus and support Is that true because registry and file permissions is not me owner or there is unknown... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Is that true because registry and file permissions is not me owner or there is unknown accounts in the pc i cant update install download windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by sanyijani, Jul 12, 2021.

1. sanyijani Win User

Is that true because registry and file permissions is not me owner or there is unknown...

Is that true because registry and file permissions is not me owner or there is unknown accounts in the pc i cant update install download windows updates

:)

sanyijani, Jul 12, 2021

2. you don't have permission to open this file contact the file owner or an administrator

Hi,

This could be due to one of the following reasons:

• You don’t have permission to access the file,
    • The file you are trying to access is corrupt,
    • If you are using any third party security software, it may be blocking the file.

In most of the cases, this issue occurs when the user doesn’t have sufficient permissions to access the file. So I would suggest you to take ownership of the file and then check if the issue persists. Refer to these steps:

• Right-click the program
      that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
    • Click the Security tab, and then click OK
      on the Security message (if one appears).
    • Click Advanced, and then click change. Enter your password if prompted.
    • Type in your username and press
      enter.
    • If you want to take ownership of the contents of the folder, select
      the Replace owner on sub containers and objects check box.
    • Click OK and close all the windows.
    • Follow step a and b, click
      on advanced.
    • Under "permissions" tab, select your user account
      and click on "change permissions"
    • Check the "Replace all child object permission entries from this object." option and click
      Ok.
    • All permissions will be replaced if you click Yes.

Please get back to us with an update on this issue, we will be happy to help.

Thank you

Karthicka_R, Jul 12, 2021
  3. Bree Win User
    Unknown User as Owner

In a Command Prompt the command DIR /Q will show the owner of a file or folder. Unknown owners are indicated by ...

Add the /S option and it lists the contents of sub-folders too. You could filter the results for the string "..." by piping the results to FIND.

DIR /Q /S | FIND "..."

Note that for an external HDD that's regularly used on multiple PCs there may be some owners that this PC doesn't recognise (but that exist on one of the other PCs).

4. Brink Win User

Is that true because registry and file permissions is not me owner or there is unknown...

Brink, Jul 12, 2021
Thema:

1. Is that true because registry and file permissions is not me owner or there is unknown... - Similar Threads - true registry file

2. Account Unknown Under File Permissions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Account Unknown Under File Permissions: Recently, in troubleshooting another issue, the support tech created a new local admin user "TEST" on my machine. I don't believe any file permissions were manually assigned. That did not address the problem, and they deleted the user. When I go to a file or directory and do...
  3. Account Unknown Under File Permissions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Account Unknown Under File Permissions: Recently, in troubleshooting another issue, the support tech created a new local admin user "TEST" on my machine. I don't believe any file permissions were manually assigned. That did not address the problem, and they deleted the user. When I go to a file or directory and do...
  4. unknown registry

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unknown registry: hello. i just check my registry and found 3 that i don't remember called "IPS" , "Nahimic" and "Sonicfocus" is that safe or is it a virus https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unknown-registry/b96a8709-886d-4e04-b019-2563c174fab3
  5. unknown registry

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    unknown registry: hello. i just check my registry and found 3 that i don't remember called "IPS" , "Nahimic" and "Sonicfocus" is that safe or is it a virus https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unknown-registry/b96a8709-886d-4e04-b019-2563c174fab3
  6. windows update not downloading updates because file or registry permissions bits or wuauserv?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows update not downloading updates because file or registry permissions bits or wuauserv?: windows update not downloading updates because file or registry permissions bits or wuauserv? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-not-downloading-updates-because/7a66b922-5e5d-4c26-8e53-521d63c4bed2
  7. Registry permissions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Registry permissions: I edited registry HKEY_CURRENT _CONFIG permission but then it deleted all users automatically except the one i created recently. Now i can't access anything i tried to restart computer and reset it from advanced optionshift + restart but after 50 - 60 % it comes back to...
  8. Error: "Could not open source file"; strange file permission owner as owner

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Error: "Could not open source file"; strange file permission owner as owner: Hello, I use backup software that copies my files to an external HD and saves them in their native format. I.e., it just copies them. Recently, the software reports some 125 failures with the information "Could not open source file error 5 - access is denied." The files...
  9. Unknown User as Owner

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Unknown User as Owner: Hi guys, I have a peculiar issue with an unknown Owner of a folder. To be more precise, its on my external Drive, in a folder called My Backups. I use Acronis on a disk to perform backups. Acronis is not installed. Path: ‪L:\My backups\Windows 10 Pro (C) Owner:...
  10. Administrator can change owner of registry key but not permissions...

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Administrator can change owner of registry key but not permissions...: I'm running 64-bit Windows Pro on an Asus P5Q-EM MB with an Intel E8600 processor with 8 GB of PC2-6400 Ram. I've had a couple of unexpected shutdowns and restarts lately. I've got several different error types in my event log. The only one showing to be "critical" is the...