Windows 10: Is the Anniversary Update Missing Drives Problem Solved?

Discus and support Is the Anniversary Update Missing Drives Problem Solved? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; There were many posts on the forum a month ago following the Anniversary Update (AU) about people having missing drives or drives showing RAW format.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Steve C, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Steve C Win User

Is the Anniversary Update Missing Drives Problem Solved?

There were many posts on the forum a month ago following the Anniversary Update (AU) about people having missing drives or drives showing RAW format.

I haven't noticed any recent reports and wonder if this problem has now been solved? I've been postponing upgrading to the AU until the problem is sorted.

:)

Steve C, Sep 3, 2016
  2. Kaushal B Win User

Western Digital Hard Drive 1tb stopped working after installing Windows 10 Anniversary update on the computer.

Having the same problems with a WD external HDD.

Works fine on a Windows 7 machine.

However, the Windows 10 machine with the anniversary update shows the drive as RAW partition. CHKDSK on the external drive shows the drive as NTFS partition.

Tried another Windows 10 anniversary updated machine and get the same problem.

Is there a workaround / solution to the problem?

Kaushal B, Sep 3, 2016
  3. After Installing Windows 10 Anniversary Update WINRETOOLS and Image Missing

To All:

This problem is being discussed more thoroughly under the following Microsoft forum:

Partition won't mount after Windows 10 Anniversary Update.

Partition won't mount after Windows 10 Anniversary Update.

It seems that after the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, many people are finding that the partitions on their primary disk are missing but the data should still be on the hard drive.

Apparently Microsoft is now aware of the problem and they are working on it. Microsoft should have been aware of the problem before they released Windows 10 Anniversary Update.

Is the Anniversary Update Missing Drives Problem Solved? [​IMG]

Note the 2 unnamed volumes in the disk management picture above. Two are the WINRETOOLS and Image Recovery partitions that show as 100% free space. Missing my recovery partitions is worrisome.

Hopefully, Microsoft will get this fixed fast as the number of people with this problem is growing.

Steve

Steven Haymes, Sep 3, 2016
  4. Steve C Win User

I've seen no replies yet. Can I safely assume this problem has now been fixed in recent updates?

Steve C, Sep 4, 2016
  5. dalchina New Member
    If it's been fixed, you would be able to read web reports about it, and almost certainly a News item in this forum. (There isn't one, I think).

dalchina, Sep 4, 2016
  6. Steve C Win User
    It's now nearly 3 months since the Anniversary Update. Has this bug been fixed yet since I haven't seen recent reports of it on the forum?

Steve C, Oct 13, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    It would seem it's worth trying after the substantial cumulative updates; I'd suggest manually downloading 1607 and accepting updates when installing (expect several 100Mb).

Hope you're using disk imaging routinely- if not, now's the time to start. (e.g. Macrium Reflect (free) strongly recommended as I expect you know).

dalchina, Oct 13, 2016
  8. Steve C Win User

Thanks - I already make good use of Reflect. I was just going to deselect the Defer Upgrades option and let Windows update. You mentioned manually downloading 1607. Is that the same as running a repair install i.e. you run setup.exe from the ISO file which will then update the PC to the AU version? Some recommend disconnecting all but the system drive for the upgrade. I can disconnect the external USB drive but I don't really want to disconnect the two internal HDDs I have for user files (OS is on a separate SSD). Will that be a problem?

Steve C, Oct 13, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    Effectively yes. Of course being sensitive to the drive issue, the safest would be to disconnect. My laptop has a SSD and a SSHD- no problems. But they are not Seagate or WD- and either people typically use these and report problems, or problems are only associated with these (not Hitachi, Toshiba... or so it seems).

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Is the Anniversary Update Missing Drives Problem Solved? - Similar Threads - Anniversary Update Missing

2. Windows 10 Anniversary update missing

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Anniversary update missing: Hello All , I have been running Windows 10 professional and its been a month since the anniversary update OS 1607, but I still don't see it enabled for me to download even though I manually check for updates almost everyday . Are they doing in phased manner , are there...
  3. Anniversary Update Failure (Solved)

Anniversary Update Failure (Solved): 1. Downloaded the Windows Home update. 2. I noticed that it was at 92% of preparing the update, but later found it back at perhaps 5%. 3. Second preparation step finished, gave command to restart the computer and finish the process. 4. First step was to configure the...
  4. Cortana Problems with Anniversary Update

Cortana Problems with Anniversary Update: After making the Anniversary Update I found that activation of the Cortana function on my lock screen did not occur per the change video and on my regular home page when I addressed Cortana with "Hey Cortana" the following quote came up on the Cortana screen "create a to-do...
  5. Update History missing after Win10 Anniversary Update

Update History missing after Win10 Anniversary Update: Hi, I just downloaded and installed the Windows 10 Anniversary Update yesterday and so far I have noticed some changes in my computer that I was not aware of before the update. (1) Somehow my System Restore was set to Disabled and all of my restore points are now gone...
  6. Anniversary Update Drive Problems?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Anniversary Update Drive Problems?: Some people on this forum have reported problems with drives not being detected by Windows or appearing in RAW format - see https://www.tenforums.com/gtsearch.ph...&sa.x=0&sa.y=0 It seems the problem still remains - see http://www.infoworld.com/article/311...ry-update.html...
  7. Problem After Anniversary Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem After Anniversary Update: Hey Guys, Need some help here. Did my Anniversary update (after hearing of all the problems I did it anyhow I like to be updated) and am currently having 2 main problems. Im the Admin of my Computer. 1. I use Plex server a lot. So when I leave my computer on if it...
  8. Anniversary Update Problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Anniversary Update Problem: I downloaded and installed the iso referenced in Dona Sarkar's announcement memo Win_10_1607_English_X64.iso dated 8/2/16. My winver shows 1607 build 14393.0. I expected it to be 14393.10. Anyone know what's up? The machine is an original upgrade from Win 8.1. I also have a...
  9. Anniversary Update Problems

in Windows 10 Support
    Anniversary Update Problems: Hi, I've tested a few anniversary update features and although it was going to get disabled on Win 10 Pro only, on Enterprise also some tricks are not working. As usual, to save time, after each clean Windows installation, I run a number of .reg and .bat files to highly...
  10. Anniversary update problems

in Windows 10 Support
    Anniversary update problems: I finally got round to installing the anniversary update once I realised there was a way to disable Cortana through the registry, and it all seemed to install without any issues. Now that it's up and running though, a couple of problems have emerged: - The regedit...