Windows 10: Is the desktop being rendered while in Standby

Discus and support Is the desktop being rendered while in Standby in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; So I have a HDMI cable going from my GTX970 to my Philips 50pus7303 as well as my main monitor. If the Philips is using another source or is in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by galerion, Dec 13, 2018.

1. galerion Win User

Is the desktop being rendered while in Standby

So I have a HDMI cable going from my GTX970 to my Philips 50pus7303 as well as my main monitor.

If the Philips is using another source or is in standby, is my GTX970 still rendering the desktop for that screen?

I haven't seen any indication that it wouldn't be and the mouse pointer will still go off my monitor screen on the TV side.

If it is rendering the desktop for the TV when it isn't being actively used for the pc; is there a way to change this so this only happens when the TV is using the pc as a source?

:)

galerion, Dec 13, 2018

2. Desktop Shutdown and Standby/Hibernate Icons

I discovered some time ago a simple means of adding two desktop icons to cover Shutdown and Standby/Hibernate. I now use these icons all the time as it avoids using the Start procedure, which I never use at all unless I wish to Restart immediately after shutdown. Even then, I tend to use my desktop icons. Just close the browser, click the desktop icon and it is done.

On your desktop, right click the free space, then click new shortcut, you get a Wizard, copy/paste the command for the location type from one of the below commands (in this case, %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState ). Then click Next. You are asked to give it a title - Standby, Hibernate or Shutdown, I suggest using "Standby/Hibernate", click Finish.

Shutdown: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -s
    Reboot: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -r
    Logoff: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -l
    Standby: %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState
    Hibernate: %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState Hibernate
    I have listed Hibernate for reference only, as the Hibernate desktop icon does not work for systems reasons, Hibernate can only be achieved by manually using the Power Options properties panel.

Use CNTRL+C to copy and CNTRL+V to paste.

Hibernate is automatic if the Hibernate box is checked in the Power Options properties panel. If the box is not checked, then Standby is automatic. You have to select this box to give you the option you want.

Standby is more convenient if you are using the PC constantly, it is a quicker recovery, but has a power trickle. For long periods of absence, use Hibernate, it is much slower in recovering, but effectively shuts your computer down.

The Power options panel is found by Control Panel>Power Options>Hibernate.

The two desktop icons created can be changed by Right clicking the icon then Properties>Change icon>Browse>Windows 32>shell32dll>select icon>OK>Apply>OK
    You now have two brand new icons on your desktop for Shutdown and Standby/Hibernate. It works a treat.

My icons are :-

Is the desktop being rendered while in Standby Desktopicons-1.jpg

Bald Eagle, Dec 14, 2018
  3. geoffers Win User
    More Blurry text problems, but only text rendering in MS browsers

Further update on this;
    • The blurry text rendering in Edge/IE11 is only a problem when browsing on my Laptop which is v1511(Build 10586.11)
    • Using my Desktop, the rendering is fine - the Desktop is still v10.0(Build 10240)
    So this could therefore be down to a number of things
    1. There is a difference between builds 10240 and 10586.11
    2. There is a difference between the display drivers on the 2 machines
    3. There is some other HTML rendering issue on the laptop

The Desktop Graphics are Intel(R) HD 26/11/2012 Version 8.15.10.2900: The Laptop Graphics are exactly the same, so that presumably cancels out option 2

geoffers, Dec 14, 2018
  4. Is the desktop being rendered while in Standby

Pc will not wake up from Standby

When i go into standby mode then click any button or press power button the computer the monitor is still blanked out. and will nto come back on. any suggestions?

accordpower99, Dec 14, 2018
Thema:

Is the desktop being rendered while in Standby

1. Is the desktop being rendered while in Standby - Similar Threads - desktop being rendered

2. startmenu render bug while searching

in Windows 10 Gaming
    startmenu render bug while searching: as you can see in the image, the startmenu renders squished at the top while searching https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/startmenu-render-bug-while-searching/86e9abff-ea62-4dc4-a25a-723aa3904b70
  3. startmenu render bug while searching

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    startmenu render bug while searching: as you can see in the image, the startmenu renders squished at the top while searching https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/startmenu-render-bug-while-searching/86e9abff-ea62-4dc4-a25a-723aa3904b70
  4. startmenu render bug while searching

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Computer crashes while rendering videos

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer crashes while rendering videos: My computer never crashes, only while rendering videos for long times using Vegas Pro 19.0 40mins+, it never crashed with less than 40min, an editing software. Everything freezes for 20secs, and then the computer shuts off and restarts.What leaves me intrigued is that temps...
  6. Reduce render latency while gaming

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reduce render latency while gaming: Hi chat!I face certain lag spikes while gaming and that doesn't allow me to play well.How can I fix that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reduce-render-latency-while-gaming/29aa259e-d27f-423d-b73f-2c0580f127c9
  7. Reduce render latency while gaming

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Reduce render latency while gaming: Hi chat!I face certain lag spikes while gaming and that doesn't allow me to play well.How can I fix that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reduce-render-latency-while-gaming/29aa259e-d27f-423d-b73f-2c0580f127c9
  8. Shut down while in standby?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Shut down while in standby?: Sorry if this is obvious...How do I shut down my laptop while it’s in standby? I’ve created a feedback loop and whenever I turn it on again it’s really loud!!! I know how to sort it but need to restart or turn it off......
  9. Help! Automatic standby mode renders speakers useless

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Help! Automatic standby mode renders speakers useless: On 25 March 2013 I purchased my Creative Labs Gigaworks T20 Series 2 speakers from Amazon.co.uk and they are plugged into my Windows 10 Home PC version 20H2 via the audio jack on the motherboard. The problem is that these speakers have unfortunately been caught by the ErP...
  10. BSOD while playing games and Rendering

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD while playing games and Rendering: Hi thanks for taking the time to help. About a month or 2 back i noticed that whenever i played 'Dota 2' or 'The Witcher 3', my computer would freeze completely and then after 30 or so seconds a BSOD would appear with 'error code: Machine Check Exception'. Running Core...