Windows 10: Is the digital download of Windows 10 Pro an OEM or Retail license?

Discus and support Is the digital download of Windows 10 Pro an OEM or Retail license? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I wanted to buy the digital download version of Windows 10 Pro directly from Microsoft, https://www.microsoft.com/ro-ro/p/windows-10-pro/df77x4d43rkt?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by AndreeaD, Aug 20, 2020.

1. AndreeaD Win User

Is the digital download of Windows 10 Pro an OEM or Retail license?

I wanted to buy the digital download version of Windows 10 Pro directly from Microsoft, https://www.microsoft.com/ro-ro/p/windows-10-pro/df77x4d43rkt?

Could you please tell me if this license is OEM, tied to a single computer, or Retail, which can be moved later to another computer?

:)

AndreeaD, Aug 20, 2020
  2. jazzcase Win User

Windows 10 Home (OEM) to Windows 10 Pro (Retail) license

Hello, first of all i'm sorry if my english is a bit broken.

i have questions regarding those that i mentioned on the title above, not the steps of the installation but the license.

i have a laptop running Windows 10 Home right now (lets say it is machine "A"), and planning to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro using retail product key. On the other hand i have a plan to get a new machine next year (machine "B").

1. What will happen with "A" Win 10 Home OEM license if i upgrade it to Win 10 Pro Retail version? does the OEM license just get straight away overwritten or deleted?

2. I read an article that Retail version of windows can be moved to another machine as long as it is not installed or removed from previous machine. Can i install the Windows 10 Pro version on "B" that previously installed on "A", after deleting it from
    "A"?

3. Can i install the Windows 10 Home version back on "A" and get activated using default OEM license?

Your answer is much appreciated, thank you.

jazzcase, Aug 20, 2020
  3. patkim Win User
    Understanding difference between OEM & Retail Windows 10 Home to Pro Upgrade if any

Hi,

I am aware that you can upgrade OEM Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro by following certain steps and paying a fee to Microsoft to get a new Pro license.

However what I am not clear is about the type of license that Windows 10 Pro then comes with after an upgrade

When I upgrade OEM Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro, do I still retain the license as Windows 10 Pro OEM or does it now become a retail Pro license?

If it still remains as OEM License, is there a difference in the fee structure for upgrading OEM Home to Pro & Retail Home to Pro?

As I understand a retail license offers flexibility to move to another computer but OEM does not. OEM is tied to the first motherboard on which it's activated.

Thanks

patkim, Aug 20, 2020
  4. Is the digital download of Windows 10 Pro an OEM or Retail license?

Transferring Windows 10 pro digital license to new system with windows 10 home

Hey Everyone

I was using an old laptop of mine which has a retail license of Windows 10 Pro on it and it is activated and the digital license is linked to my Microsoft account.

I have recently bought a new Microsoft surface Laptop which has a OEM Windows 10 Home on it and as soon as I opened the laptop for the first time and tried to sign in. Now it shows that my windows is activated with Windows 10 Home and digital license linked
    to my account.

Now I have 2 laptops with both windows 10 home and pro and their digital licenses linked to my Microsoft account. I wanted to transfer my Windows 10 pro license from my old system to my new laptop as I have its digital license linked to my account. But I am
    unable to as I have a digital license of the Home version (OEM) activated on my new Laptop.

Are there any steps that I can follow in order to transfer my Windows 10 Pro ?? I have verified that it is a retail license.

Can someone please assist regarding this ??

Thanks !!

ShikharPandey1, Aug 20, 2020
Thema:

Is the digital download of Windows 10 Pro an OEM or Retail license?

1. Is the digital download of Windows 10 Pro an OEM or Retail license? - Similar Threads - digital download Pro

2. Win 10 pro installation with retail channel key to be converted to OEM/Digital license and...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 pro installation with retail channel key to be converted to OEM/Digital license and...: I have OEM Win 10 Pro license purchased along with the hardware, but used an image with retail channel product key while deploying Win 10 pro. Is there a way to activate with OEM digital license without reinstalling ?Work arounds done: Tried removing the product keyslmgr.vbs...
  3. Win 10 pro installation with retail channel key to be converted to OEM/Digital license and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 pro installation with retail channel key to be converted to OEM/Digital license and...: I have OEM Win 10 Pro license purchased along with the hardware, but used an image with retail channel product key while deploying Win 10 pro. Is there a way to activate with OEM digital license without reinstalling ?Work arounds done: Tried removing the product keyslmgr.vbs...
  4. Win 10 pro installation with retail channel key to be converted to OEM/Digital license and...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Is my license retail or OEM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is my license retail or OEM: Hello I bought a refurbished windows 7 pro PC and later upgraded it to 10. I am now switching to a new home-built PC and the question is: Can I transfer my license?In the settings, it says "windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account. using...
  6. Is my license retail or OEM

Is my license retail or OEM: Hello I bought a refurbished windows 7 pro PC and later upgraded it to 10. I am now switching to a new home-built PC and the question is: Can I transfer my license?In the settings, it says "windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account. using...
  7. Is my license retail or OEM

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  8. How to replace digital OEM License with digital Retail License No Product Key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to replace digital OEM License with digital Retail License No Product Key: Hi Everyone,I upgraded my desktop, mainboard + cpu + NVMe. I wished to keep NVME but it was not detected on new mobo, I had to change it too. It was bad memory with Manufacturer. I found that new NVMe has OS pre-installed with OEM lic somehow, but I want to transfer my Retail...
  9. How to replace digital OEM License with digital Retail License No Product Key

How to replace digital OEM License with digital Retail License No Product Key: Hi Everyone,I upgraded my desktop, mainboard + cpu + NVMe. I wished to keep NVME but it was not detected on new mobo, I had to change it too. It was bad memory with Manufacturer. I found that new NVMe has OS pre-installed with OEM lic somehow, but I want to transfer my Retail...
  10. Windows 10 retail versus OEM license

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 retail versus OEM license: In answers to the question that often comes up regarding OEM licenses purchased via third-party websites (Amazon, eBay, etc), it is frequently noted that the OEM version of Windows is identical to the retail version (with some limitations on support and license transfer). In...