Windows 10: Is the DPC Watchdog BSOD normally caused by an Old Device Driver?

Discus and support Is the DPC Watchdog BSOD normally caused by an Old Device Driver? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I'm getting the DPC Watchdog blue screen quite frequently, as are many others, obviously. I'm not posting this in the BSOD thread because I'm more... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Tallisfan, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Tallisfan Win User

Is the DPC Watchdog BSOD normally caused by an Old Device Driver?

I'm getting the DPC Watchdog blue screen quite frequently, as are many others, obviously. I'm not posting this in the BSOD thread because I'm more interested in the general info about why this is occurring so often. Is this mainly the result of some remnant of an older driver that still lurks in the registry? Or some other problem with not upgrading to a new driver? Or do many people get these BSOD's from making registry changes in the wrong place, or, perhaps, out-of-date registry changes.
    . . .
    Thanks for any general enligtenment,

:)

Tallisfan, Oct 5, 2015

2. BSOD- DPC Watchdog violation

BSOD - DPC watchdog violation how to fix?

JamesJagow, Oct 5, 2015
  3. DonBelle Win User
    Error BSOD DPC Watchdog Violation on Windows 10

Windows 10 installed on laptop gets DPC Watchdog Violations every few minutes creating a BSOD and reboots. It is not a game machine. What are some of the causes and what can be done?

DonBelle, Oct 5, 2015
  4. axe0 New Member

Hi Tallisfan,

Welcome to the 10forums.

Can you be more specific?
    There are 2 dpc_watchdog crashes, the dpc_watchdog_violation and the dpc_watchdog_timeout.

Either way, in general most of the crashes are being caused by 3rd party drivers due to its date, bad coded or bugs(what could be seen as bad coded sometimes).
    A driver causing the problem doesn't always have to be from a device, a software program could also be causing it with its drivers.

axe0, Oct 5, 2015
  5. Tallisfan Win User
    Yes, that's what I wanted to know. (I was referring to DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION, or is it DPC_WATCHDOG_ERROR.) I think there are a lot of users who just upgraded to Windows 10 who are curious about what causes this in general. I presumed it was drivers, but I didn't know. I take it that there are many more drivers out there than we might have supposed that are incompatible and didn't automatically supply some kind of warning about the impact of the update.
    . . .
    Thanks for the info,
    Olin Pitman

Tallisfan, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Is the DPC Watchdog BSOD normally caused by an Old Device Driver? - Similar Threads - DPC Watchdog BSOD

2. DPC Watchdog BSOD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DPC Watchdog BSOD: Hello! So I've been running into a few, rare blue screens here and there. Normally, I wouldn't mind, but they tend to happen quite often when I'm live-streaming on Twitch.tv so it does get quite frustrating.Here's the error in event viewer: The computer has rebooted from a...
  3. DPC Watchdog BSOD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DPC Watchdog BSOD: Hello! So I've been running into a few, rare blue screens here and there. Normally, I wouldn't mind, but they tend to happen quite often when I'm live-streaming on Twitch.tv so it does get quite frustrating.Here's the error in event viewer: The computer has rebooted from a...
  4. BSOD DPC Watchdog Violation Windows 10 - caused by wifi driver?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD DPC Watchdog Violation Windows 10 - caused by wifi driver?: Hi,I'm constantly having a DPC Watchdog Violation on my Windows 10 PC as long as wireless adapter is enabled in device manager bluescreen occurs both on starting up the PC as well afterwards, booting up sometimes takes up to half an hour due to cashes. After disabling the...
  5. BSOD DPC Watchdog Violation Windows 10 - caused by wifi driver?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD DPC Watchdog Violation Windows 10 - caused by wifi driver?: Hi,I'm constantly having a DPC Watchdog Violation on my Windows 10 PC as long as wireless adapter is enabled in device manager bluescreen occurs both on starting up the PC as well afterwards, booting up sometimes takes up to half an hour due to cashes. After disabling the...
  6. BSOD DPC Watchdog Violation Windows 10 - caused by wifi driver?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. DPC Watchdog Violation causes

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    DPC Watchdog Violation causes: Can the DPC Watchdog Violation BSOD occurs by my computer overheating? When it started happening my mouse started freezing along with it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/dpc-watchdog-violation-causes/a604687f-271d-4709-a106-0bbd52b719b4
  8. DPC Watchdog BSOD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    DPC Watchdog BSOD: Hi I keep getting DPC Watch dog errors seemingly randomly. I tried most of the troubleshooting steps but nothing seems to have worked. I resorted to a reformat/reinstall, but I keep getting the errors. Again they seem to be intermittent. I will BSOD on initial lock screen, or...
  9. Fixing old DPC Watchdog Violation BSOD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Fixing old DPC Watchdog Violation BSOD: Hello, fellow Windows users. A while back I was running Windows 10 perfectly fine on my Dell G7 7588, but then all of the sudden I get a terrible BSOD saying, "DPC Watchdog Violation." I tried everything I could find on the internet, but to no avail, so I took it to the local...
  10. DPC Watchdog Violation causing BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    DPC Watchdog Violation causing BSOD: My system is crashing repeatedly with BSOD error. Link to mindump and msinfo32 file: https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArYxG7K1uoYsgYZVdUsx17w0P2EVXw?e=3WAkEE FYI, I had opened the dump file and it had shown that the error was caused by driver:ntoskrnl.exe, so I followed some...