Windows 10: Is the Idle condition of the win10 task scheduler broken for years on win10?

Discus and support Is the Idle condition of the win10 task scheduler broken for years on win10? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have been trying for literally years to get my PC to fully shutdown if it's idle for more than about 20hours, here the task that should work:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Ok-Gate6899, Oct 8, 2022.

1. Is the Idle condition of the win10 task scheduler broken for years on win10?

I have been trying for literally years to get my PC to fully shutdown if it's idle for more than about 20hours, here the task that should work: https://i.imgur.com/ubxQzoR.png

but the result is that the task execute as soon as planned totally ignoring the idle condition

Any idea of what's going on?

I have found other complaints that date to 2019 with the same problem but i have yet to find a solution.

thanks

submitted by /u/Ok-Gate6899
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Ok-Gate6899, Oct 8, 2022
  2. js0873 Win User

Task Scheduler - Idle Condition Not Honored

This should be pretty simple but really has me stumped. I have a scheduled task that is specified to only run if the computer is idle for 50 minutes. This works on Windows 7, but on Windows 10 it never honors the idle condition. It always runs immediately. This happens on multiple Windows 10 machines, but never on Windows 7 ones. Any idea what might be wrong?

Is the Idle condition of the win10 task scheduler broken for years on win10? [​IMG]

js0873, Oct 8, 2022
  3. Try3 Win User
    Task Scheduler - On Idle

Bish,

Well, I think you have done everything correctly and these guides also agree with you
    Understandingthe Task Scheduler Interface – Erwin
    TS- Task Idle Conditions MSDN

In a ServerFault thread, a user reported the same fault as you and confirmed the behaviour on several other computers. I’d say it’s a Windows bug and you could report it using the Feedback App.
    TaskScheduler - Task Idle Conditions - ServerFault

Task scheduler is very old, like Event viewer & Disk management, and MS might have a quiet ban on any tinkering with it. They might quietly regard it as deprecated and are thinking about a complete reimplementation at some unspecififed time in the future.

In the meantime, I suggest that you insert a waiting period in your script to cope with the problem. Since you are running a batch file, the command TimeOut will do the job -
    Response to timeout /?
    Code:
    see also TimeOut - SS64

Denis

Try3, Oct 8, 2022
  4. dalchina Win User

Is the Idle condition of the win10 task scheduler broken for years on win10?

Task Scheduler - Idle Condition Not Honored

Hi, this seemed ok:

Is the Idle condition of the win10 task scheduler broken for years on win10? [​IMG]

Had it set to launch notepad: once displayed after a minute or so, that then vanished when I moved the mouse.

dalchina, Oct 8, 2022
Thema:

Is the Idle condition of the win10 task scheduler broken for years on win10?

1. Is the Idle condition of the win10 task scheduler broken for years on win10? - Similar Threads - Idle condition win10

2. Issue running a Batch file from Win10 Task Scheduler.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issue running a Batch file from Win10 Task Scheduler.: Hi,I have created a Batch file to copy several files to my OneDrive system each day, so that I can access them if I'm not with my laptop. The script refers directly to OneDrive via c:\users\...The batch file runs within a CMD window with and without Admin privileges. But it...
  3. Win10 Task scheduler $%#*&#$%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 Task scheduler $%#*&#$%: After setting up my new computer I tried to get ^*&%#% Win10 to run Chess Titans from Win7 by using the Compatibility Wizard, when that didn't work, I tried compatibility with WinVista... that didn't work. After posting a question here I gave up.Still in the process of...
  4. Win10 Task scheduler $%#*&#$%

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win10 Task scheduler $%#*&#$%: After setting up my new computer I tried to get ^*&%#% Win10 to run Chess Titans from Win7 by using the Compatibility Wizard, when that didn't work, I tried compatibility with WinVista... that didn't work. After posting a question here I gave up.Still in the process of...
  5. Win10 Task scheduler $%#*&#$%

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Task scheduler broken

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Task scheduler broken: I've tried the few fixes I could find on why there is no library in my task scheduler. I can maybe find 3 Google results about my problem so coming here is really my only option. When I open task scheduler the library on the left simply isn't there. I've tried Sfc and Dism...
  7. Task Scheduler - On Idle

in Windows 10 Support
    Task Scheduler - On Idle: I have a script I created to run after the PC has been idle for one hour. It seems as though no matter what terms I define for trigger conditions, it will run after 10 minutes. 10 minutes is not a condition I have defined anywhere in the Task Scheduler. Is there an actual...
  8. Denied attempt to delete unused folder in WIN10 task scheduler.

in Windows 10 Support
    Denied attempt to delete unused folder in WIN10 task scheduler.: Greetings. Doing some house cleaning and found this folder "NCH Software" in the task scheduler. Denied deletion because of insufficient UAC permissions. I am using admin privileges and tried it in safe mode but was informed the task scheduler is not available in safe mode....
  9. Task Scheduler - Idle Condition Not Honored

in Windows 10 Support
    Task Scheduler - Idle Condition Not Honored: This should be pretty simple but really has me stumped. I have a scheduled task that is specified to only run if the computer is idle for 50 minutes. This works on Windows 7, but on Windows 10 it never honors the idle condition. It always runs immediately. This happens on...
  10. Scheduled Tasks - Conditions and Settings cannot be set

in Windows 10 Support
    Scheduled Tasks - Conditions and Settings cannot be set: Hi. I'm new to Windows 10, but just installed my first instance of Windows 10 Pro on an older laptop with a new SSD. Right now I'm configuring the system, installing software, creating tasks, all that good stuff. The user account I'm using is an Administrator. A small...