Windows 10: Is the only difference between vhd and vhdx the maximum supported capacity?

Discus and support Is the only difference between vhd and vhdx the maximum supported capacity? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] or is there another difference? vhd recommends a fixed size and vhdx recommends dynamically expanding. What is the reason? I understand... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/NewNuevo, May 31, 2020.

1. Is the only difference between vhd and vhdx the maximum supported capacity?

/u/NewNuevo, May 31, 2020
  2. MardAZ Win User

Windows 10 VHD Native Boot Installation--Officially Supported?

Is booting Windows 10 from a vhd (or vhdx) file officially supported by Microsoft? I know there were lots of articles about running the Windows 10 technical preview by using Boot From VHD, but I have been unable to find a listing of Windows 10 features
    that shows that it officially supports this feature. It is well-known that a vhd-booted Windows 8.1 installation cannot be upgraded directly to Windows 10 (as was also true when upgrading from 8 to 8.1). Does anybody know the "status" of VHD Native Boot
    going forward?

MardAZ, May 31, 2020
  3. Morrolan Win User

I have a clean install of Windows 10 Pro booting from VHDX. I received the Windows Update notice to Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, version 1511, 10586. This update then fails with a pop-up message "You can't install Windows on a virtual drive." message. I have
    seen some posts that mention launch the VHD in Hyper-V, upgrading there, then reverting back, but that seems too painful. I would rather just reinstall. Is booting from VHD/VHDX not supported or what? Cause otherwise I will install to disk rather then VHDX
    next. I rather like the VHDX boot feature though, as it makes it easy to boot multiple OS versions from a single disk.

So, apparently it is not supported!

Morrolan, May 31, 2020
  4. Is the only difference between vhd and vhdx the maximum supported capacity?

I apologize for not seeing your reference and leaving an incomplete solution ;

Not sure where you are at in this so I am providing a breakdown with an overview.

It appears they do not mention Windows 10, however the mention Windows 8 to using the .vhdx file format.
    Hope this helps:

I am just now getting to exploring the use of VHDs for booting some Virtual machines.

I have included a more complete background on VHDs for you and others that maybe exploring this topic.

• The local disk must have at least two partitions: a system partition that contains the Windows 8 boot-environment files and Boot Configuration Data (BCD) store, and a partition to store the VHD file. The .vhd file format is supported for native boot on a
      computer with a Windows® 7 boot environment, but you will have to update the system partition to a Windows 8 environment to use the .vhdx file format. For more information about how to add a Windows 8 boot environment for native VHD boot, see

Download and install Windows PE (WinPE) so you can boot from a USB flash drive or an external USB hard drive

• The local disk partition that contains the VHD file must have enough free disk space for expanding a dynamic VHD to its maximum size and for the page file created when booting the VHD. The page file is created outside the VHD file, unlike with a virtual
      machine where the page file is contained inside the VHD.

This was from a recent Article :

Understanding Virtual Hard Disks with Native Boot
    Last Updated: 5/4/2016;

VHDs with native boot are frequently used in the following scenarios:

• Using disk-management tools to create and attach a VHD for offline image management. You can attach a VHD by using the
      Attach vdisk command which activates the VHD so that it appears on the host as a disk drive instead of as a .vhd file.

• Mounting reference VHD images on remote shares for image servicing.

• Maintaining and deploying a common reference VHD image to execute in either virtual or physical computers.

• Configuring VHD files for native boot without requiring a full parent installation.

• Configuring a computer to boot multiple local VHD files that contain different application workloads, without requiring separate disk partitions.

• Using Windows Deployment Services (WDS) for network deployment of VHD images to target computers for native boot.

• Managing desktop image deployment.
    Deploy Windows on a VHD (Native Boot)

Last Updated: 7/20/2016

Create and deploy virtual hard disks (VHDs) with native-boot capabilities to test devices or to manage multiple operating systems on a device without re-partitioning the drive.

Creating VHDs
    You can create virtual hard disks (.vhd or .vhdx files) using the DiskPart tool or the Disk Management Microsoft Management Console (MMC). You can create .vhdx files from PowerShell when you have the Hyper-V Manager Role installed.

You can attach the VHD so that it appears as a system drive that you can partition, format, and apply your operating system to.

Deploying VHDs
    You can deploy a supported Windows image to an attached VHD using disk-imaging software such as the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tool. The VHD can then be copied to one or more systems either to run in a virtual machine or for native
    boot.

For more information, see
    Download and install Windows PE (WinPE) so you can boot from a USB flash drive or an external USB hard drive

On first native boot, the specialize configuration pass runs and computer-specific information is applied to the Windows operating system on the VHD. The instance of the VHD cannot be copied onto another system or run in a virtual machine after
    the specialize configuration pass is completed. The original VHD that has a Windows image can continue to be copied and deployed to multiple computers, if the image has already been prepared for installation using the Sysprep tool with the
    /specialize option. You can also use an answer file to prepare the image for installation by using the Microsoft-Windows-Deployment | Generalize setting. For more information about the
    specialize and generalize configuration passes, see

Windows Setup Configuration Passes
    . For more information about how to use the Generalize setting in an answer file, see the Windows® Unattended Setup Reference.

The Windows Deployment Server role supports deployment of VHD image files in addition to .wim files. Windows Deployment Server automates the network deployment of VHD images for native-boot usage. Windows Deployment Server can be used to copy the VHD image
    to a local partition, and to configure the local Boot Configuration Data (BCD) for native boot from the VHD.

RandyKielan, May 31, 2020
Thema:

Is the only difference between vhd and vhdx the maximum supported capacity?

1. Is the only difference between vhd and vhdx the maximum supported capacity? - Similar Threads - difference between vhd

2. What's happened about install the capacity ram more than maximum capacity ram that CPU support?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What's happened about install the capacity ram more than maximum capacity ram that CPU support?: Hi everyone who read this post, I have a question about install more capacity ram. My system operate like this: i5-5200U, Ram: 4gb DDR3L 1600, 120gb SSD 2.5inch. I am going to upgrade from 4gb to 24gb Ram but I have seen in intel website that my CPU just support maximum 16gb...
  3. What's happened about install the capacity ram more than maximum capacity ram that CPU support?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What's happened about install the capacity ram more than maximum capacity ram that CPU support?: Hi everyone who read this post, I have a question about install more capacity ram. My system operate like this: i5-5200U, Ram: 4gb DDR3L 1600, 120gb SSD 2.5inch. I am going to upgrade from 4gb to 24gb Ram but I have seen in intel website that my CPU just support maximum 16gb...
  4. What's happened about install the capacity ram more than maximum capacity ram that CPU support?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Maximum storage capacity SD card

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Maximum storage capacity SD card: What is the maximum storage capacity SD card that will work with Windows 11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/maximum-storage-capacity-sd-card/a9bae132-9705-4e56-a64e-93eed2a557ba
  6. Maximum storage capacity SD card

Maximum storage capacity SD card: What is the maximum storage capacity SD card that will work with Windows 11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/maximum-storage-capacity-sd-card/a9bae132-9705-4e56-a64e-93eed2a557ba
  7. Maximum capacity SD card

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Maximum capacity SD card: What is the maximum capacity SD card that will work with Windows 11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/maximum-capacity-sd-card/a9bae132-9705-4e56-a64e-93eed2a557ba
  8. Maximum capacity SD card

Maximum capacity SD card: What is the maximum capacity SD card that will work with Windows 11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/maximum-capacity-sd-card/a9bae132-9705-4e56-a64e-93eed2a557ba
  9. Trying to exclude Read-Only Mounted VHD\VHDX drives mounted in a directory

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Trying to exclude Read-Only Mounted VHD\VHDX drives mounted in a directory: Disks are mounted read-only in C:\FADIA-T\VHDM\folder\0\ I've added exclusions for C:\FADIA-T\VHDM\*\*\*\* Using MPCmdRun.exe -CheckExclusion -path "C:\FADIA-T\VHDM\folder\ Using MPCmdRun.exe -CheckExclusion -path "C:\FADIA-T\VHDM\folder\0 each shows excluded...
  10. Mount or Unmount VHD or VHDX File in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Mount or Unmount VHD or VHDX File in Windows 10: How to: Mount or Unmount VHD or VHDX File in Windows 10 How to Mount or Unmount VHD and VHDX File in Windows 10 VHD (Virtual Hard Disk) is a file format which represents a virtual hard disk drive (HDD). It may contain what is found on a physical HDD, such as disk...